SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Best of Subsim
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-09, 04:43 AM   #1
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0
Default Your 2009 Best of Subsim!

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my pleasure to announce to you the very best of Subsim for 2009! These individuals were selected through a process that involved much discussion, multiple votes, and had to be pared down from many nominees. Ultimately, agree or disagree with the awards, these members and accomplishments are undoubtedly exceptional examples of this community's finest.

Finally, congratulations to each winner, runner-up, and nominee, and a heartfelt thanks from an appreciative community for your regular contributions!

So without any further ado (I know there's been a bit), here are the winners:

Best Poster of the Year:
Sailor Steve
Runner-up:
Tomi99

Midshipman of the Year:
Karamazovnew
Runner-up:
DigitalAura

Best Thread of the Year:
DaveyJ576's Real Submarine Technology & History Q&A

Best Mod of the Year:
TMO by Ducimus
Runner-up:
AoB by Nicolas and ddgrn

Best Modder of the Year:
Hitman
Runner-up:
skwasjer

Most Helpful Member of the Year:
Jimbuna
Runner-up:
WEBSTER

Best Moderator of the Year:
NeonSamurai
Runner-up:
Hitman

Best Post of the Year:
TriggerMaru Announcement

Best Signature of the Year:
Flakmonkey

Runner-up:
DigitalAura

Funniest Post of the Year:

DaveyJ576's Post Here

Please take a moment to congratulate these individuals and post any thoughts and concerns about the awards!

And finally, an extra special thanks to the ...

Best Website Owner/Operator of the Year:
Neal Stevens

Please, show your appreciation for Neal and Subsim: http://www.subsim.com/sh2fleet_forms...fundraiser.htm

Thank you for all your input and participation, with a special thanks to the committee who voluteered their time and exempted themselves from awards (I know of a couple individuals that would have won hands-down) to make this happen!

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 12-20-09 at 06:01 PM. Reason: fixed a link :)
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 04:46 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramike View Post
Best Website Owner/Operator of the Year:
Neal Stevens
*acts surprised* Be sure to wash all that brown stuff off your face before you go out.

Right, congrats all.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 04:52 AM   #3
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
*acts surprised* Be sure to wash all that brown stuff off your face before you go out.

Right, congrats all.

Actually, believe it or not, that was a write-in on someone's ballot. I just happen to agree with it.
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 09:25 AM   #4
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Congratulations guys !
Old 12-20-09, 09:35 AM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Congrats guys. Thanks for making SS what it is!
Old 12-20-09, 09:37 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Congrats to all the winners. Believe me, there were a lot of worthy candidates for these awards. Subsim has no shortage of great people and there are too many to name.

Winners will now see the Best of Subsim award beneath their avatar:

Wear it proudly, my friends.

Last, please join me in expressing gratitude to Aramike, for brainstorming this concept, designing the awards committee, keeping the whole thing on track, and managing it. Job well done, Mike, thanks.

Special thanks to Dan the Man, for the very nice Best of image. As always, great work, Danlisa.

And to the awards committee, for getting in there and examining all the threads and posts, debating the candidates, and investing the time to make us all winners. It's guys like you who make Subsim a unique place on the web--a real cyber home for submarine nuts. Salute!

happy holidays,
Neal

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 12-20-09 at 09:59 AM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 11:30 AM   #7
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Best Modder of the Year:
Hitman
Runner-up:
skwasjer
Say what???

Isn't there an error???

I have not produced anything original myself last year, how come Skwasjer or Karamazovnew are not given the award???

The simple fact of comparing my tinkering with the huge work done by Skwasjer results shameful for him.

Guys please reconsider that award, it really is off the mark
Old 12-20-09, 11:39 AM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Maybe there was some confusion between "modder" and "moderator". Yes, Skwasjer was amajor force in 2009. By being one of the finalists, he was a top candidate.

But, if you want to know, here are some of the discussion comments (names omitted to protect the innocent and chronic bad spellerz)>

Quote:
Can Hitman be nominated? Hitman is just all around friendly and helpful with members who are modding.

Quote:
Hitman is also active in both SH3 and SH4 forums, being equally open and helpful in both. When ****** kind of stole his thunder with ****modx Hitman didn't get territorial. He jumped in with both feet and helped!

Well, those were Hitman's methods! If ANYONE should have lost their cool, it should have been he. He not only agreed with my post, he provided illustration, evidence and support.

Not only for his mods, but for his all-around good guyness, Hitman would be a great choice.

Quote:
Yes he is a good choice and to be honest will work at something he really wants until his eyes bleed. He is doing it now with the new interface for SH4 uboats. Although not his mod he is up to his neck with working on it, being supportive and helping it come to light. Hitman is at the top of the list for me in the category.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152590

If you search all posts by Hitman he is all over the modding scene like a rash helping everyone. Post after post is nothing but helping out and answering questions. He is very supportive to all.
Quote:
The other obvious choice of modder of the year is skwasjer. Without S3D very few of the mods would be here in the advanced form they are. Showing favoritism to no one, hard-nosed as an icebreaker about providing equal opportunity to mod SH3 and SH4, skwasjer has quietly revolutionized all modding for the two games.

You can pick any mod you want and skwasjer is an indispensable part of it.

...and the discussion continued, pointing out the merits of both worthy guys. Looks like Mr. Rash was selected this year

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 12-20-09 at 11:50 AM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 11:50 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

For once I'm at an almost complete loss for words

This was totally unexpected because helping people is what this fine community is all about....the pleasure was all mine

Much thanks and appreciation to those who took the time and bother to vote and many congratulations to all of those who received similar recognition

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 12:42 PM   #10
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

I had just finished posting something, scrolled up, went to another thread, read one of my posts, closed the browser, entered SH4 and at the loading screen it finally clicked:

WTF?!

I had no idea that anyone had voted for me for anything. And since the thread was removed, I'll never find out. By the way, what's a "Midshipman of the Year" ? Hope it's a good thing
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 01:25 PM   #11
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
I had just finished posting something, scrolled up, went to another thread, read one of my posts, closed the browser, entered SH4 and at the loading screen it finally clicked:

WTF?!

I had no idea that anyone had voted for me for anything. And since the thread was removed, I'll never find out. By the way, what's a "Midshipman of the Year" ? Hope it's a good thing
You were chosen as "Midshipman Of the Year" which is the equivalent of "New Member of the Year." Congratulations!

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 01:50 PM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Well, I'm honored, and like most folks who get these sorts of things don't really agree that I deserve it.

I just wanted to congratulate a few people:

Karamazovnew: For a new guy, you really have contributed a lot.

DaveyJ576: Same thing. His contribution is mainly limited to one thread, but what a thread it is!

Ducimus: Well deserved, but he needs a second award: 'Most Checkered Career'.

Hitman: I think the thread references speak for themselves. I really wish Skwasjer could get a 'Special Mention' award or something, because his programs really are all that people say they are. But you, my friend, are very much deserving as well. Don't sell yourself short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
That'll be the day. I'd accuse him of false modesty, but I've met him, and believe me it's very real. And well deserved.

Neal: Without you none of this would have ever happened. I agree with the anonymous voter that you deserve this. You should follow your own advice and wear it with pride. Anybody sees it and says otherwise, you'll have dozens of us standing up for you.

And I'd also like to thank Aramike for having this idea and seeing it through. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean a lot, but it makes us feel more like the community we are, and that does mean a lot.
Old 12-20-09, 03:02 PM   #13
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Downloads: 18

Well done guys

Don't judge a ship by the number of it's guns, but by the skill of it's crew.
ajrimmer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 04:20 PM   #14
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post

This was totally unexpected because helping people is what this fine community is all about....the pleasure was all mine

Much thanks and appreciation to those who took the time and bother to vote and many congratulations to all of those who received similar recognition
Well come on Jim, 29000+ posts....you're like a rash around here.
Old 12-20-09, 04:23 PM   #15
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Say what???

Isn't there an error???

I have not produced anything original myself last year, how come Skwasjer or Karamazovnew are not given the award???

The simple fact of comparing my tinkering with the huge work done by Skwasjer results shameful for him.

Guys please reconsider that award, it really is off the mark
Sometimes it is not about the mod Hitman.... it is about those that do mod and provide the most help with others who are working on mods. You call it tinkering, we call it helpful. You are going to accept the award and like it.