SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-20, 04:53 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Who plays with contacts and cams off ?

Just wondering if anyone else plays with contacts and cams off? I never use the camera for advantage, merely to enjoy the visuals but love having it off along with the map contacts off. I enjoy it immensely as love the immersion and even for a skilled player it makes tracking and sinking even a lone merchant (in TMO) a chore, keeping tonnage (typically) to a realistic level)

Downside, takes away some key situational awareness a Captain would have in real life such as no SD radar display without contacts. No real time updates from lookouts when tracking. The maps simulate the tracking party who would plot a and update marks on a map while tracking targets. Problem is in sim contacts provide took much information.

With the 3D TDC and Radar mod in TMO and some improved optics makes it more manageable.

Other downside is time. a SH 4 career in time consuming in most cases and to run a patrol without map contact update requires even more meticulous effort and thus more time to successfully pull off just one attack.

Having said that, about to start a patrol without contacts and cams.

Just wondering who else runs the sim this way ? Tips tricks for sinking?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 05:33 PM   #2
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

I have used that back in the days. But today I prefer SH3+GWX3 for play...so

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 05:39 PM   #3
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

I've tried it, but I like the pretty scenery too much to leave the camera off, and turning contacts off makes things harder than they should be.

I wish there was some balance between map contacts on and off, but I'm not sure exactly what that would be.
Old 09-28-20, 05:51 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I played that way a lot, but got to where I settled for contacts on and cams off as pretty realistic. Taking a good depth charging and having no upstairs view slows you down but much more dramatic not knowing. I do recall using the scope a few times to watch underwater when in minefields D.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-20, 12:40 AM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I played that way a lot, but got to where I settled for contacts on and cams off as pretty realistic. Taking a good depth charging and having no upstairs view slows you down but much more dramatic not knowing. I do recall using the scope a few times to watch underwater when in minefields D.
I agree, pretty strong realism factor with cams off and contacts on. Contacts just make it easier overall to keep track of targets etc.

I released couple depth charge mods for TMO recently, really changed things up. Tough, can kill your sub, just in a more realistic manner. Keeps damaging systems until cant stay afloat .

Actually about to tweak the mod again.
Old 09-29-20, 04:31 PM   #6
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
I agree, pretty strong realism factor with cams off and contacts on. Contacts just make it easier overall to keep track of targets etc.

I released couple depth charge mods for TMO recently, really changed things up. Tough, can kill your sub, just in a more realistic manner. Keeps damaging systems until cant stay afloat .

Actually about to tweak the mod again.
I like Trav's damage model, tho not sure all his depth charge changes but the sub itself, I loved the fact if it flooded enuf you may surface but you could easily sink back down and I loved being able to sit on the bottom without taking damage. Once I had to return to base barely above surface due to flooding. I have my disk out and plan to load up and play again soon thanks to you and will give yours a try. I also liked the fact the men became bedridden at about like 60% if injured. Course hated his env. changes but used my night mod env to overwrite it.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-20, 09:18 PM   #7
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

I play with contacts and cams on. Contacts because I have a fire control party tracking my target for me and cams because I like seeing my handy work. I don't use cams to cheat on identifying targets.

I'm not using contacts as much now that I'm using OTC and an omnimeter.
Old 09-30-20, 03:24 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I like Trav's damage model, tho not sure all his depth charge changes but the sub itself, I loved the fact if it flooded enuf you may surface but you could easily sink back down and I loved being able to sit on the bottom without taking damage. Once I had to return to base barely above surface due to flooding. I have my disk out and plan to load up and play again soon thanks to you and will give yours a try. I also liked the fact the men became bedridden at about like 60% if injured. Course hated his env. changes but used my night mod env to overwrite it.
I have not used travellers mod in a while because has conflicts with a lot of my customer work, will try to merge it at some point. Glad you are getting back on patrol. Still kick myself for losing the darker nights mod you created that time.
Old 10-02-20, 11:41 PM   #9
AdmiralHairdo
Nub

Downloads: 15

Kind of a foolish question here, but I am wondering how I can manage my contact and cam settings while running TMO. I know that TMO overrides some settings, so before starting a patrol, what would I tweak? The main menu options individually, or the difficulty selection when starting a new career?

Sorry if this is obvious, I am just a tad unclear on what menu switches actually "work" when a super mod is controlling so many game parameters behind the scenes. Thank you!

---

Side note: any way to turn free/external camera on during a campaign which began with it turned off?
AdmiralHairdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-20, 01:05 AM   #10
Orffen
Mate

Downloads: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralHairdo View Post
Kind of a foolish question here, but I am wondering how I can manage my contact and cam settings while running TMO. I know that TMO overrides some settings, so before starting a patrol, what would I tweak? The main menu options individually, or the difficulty selection when starting a new career?

Sorry if this is obvious, I am just a tad unclear on what menu switches actually "work" when a super mod is controlling so many game parameters behind the scenes. Thank you!

---

Side note: any way to turn free/external camera on during a campaign which began with it turned off?
All your difficulty settings can be changed during a career whenever you're in port. Just select the radio on the left side of the screen to bring it up.
Old 10-03-20, 12:54 PM   #11
AdmiralHairdo
Nub

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orffen View Post
All your difficulty settings can be changed during a career whenever you're in port. Just select the radio on the left side of the screen to bring it up.
Thank you! This helps a lot.
AdmiralHairdo is offline   Reply With Quote