SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-20, 07:17 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Correct this bug TMO

Annoying bug hoping to correct. When awarded a medal in TMO, always wrong patrol. Example the citation for my first patrol Navy Cross said "During the 2 War Patrol of that vessel." Should be first, count is always one ahead. Anyone know how to fix this ? Also, how do bring the Medal of Honor back?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-20, 07:41 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If a person could only do "math" on certain aspects of the game... This is one area of the game where either someone did not realize that someone else had already made provisions for the computer using "zero" as the start for counting in the game's code, and thus added their own -or- the dev's "fix" for not repeating a mission came into play, with the mission assignment being done upon the player's arrival back at base, and thus the "counter" for missions is advanced prior to the code for awards and such is encountered... I don't know, but either way, look in the menu.txt file in the Data / Menu folder, and you'll find text around line 5890= that includes what you encounter: "... of the #SUBMARINENAME# during the #PATROLNUMBER# war patrol(s) of ..." etc. Of interest is the "#" hash symbol for print "formatting", such that there is the variable of "SUBMARINENAME" and "PATROLNUMBER". If there was a way to "capture" that prior to "fetching" it, and subtract 1 from it... but alas, this is SH4...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-20, 07:50 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Annoying bug hoping to correct. When awarded a medal in TMO, always wrong patrol. Example the citation for my first patrol Navy Cross said "During the 2 War Patrol of that vessel." Should be first, count is always one ahead. Anyone know how to fix this ? Also, how do bring the Medal of Honor back?
what PB did not answer is that in TMO, the highest award is the Navy Cross.
re-read the mod release documentation and somewhere in there is the justification for re-doing the medals the way they are.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-20, 09:07 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
what PB did not answer is that in TMO, the highest award is the Navy Cross.
re-read the mod release documentation and somewhere in there is the justification for re-doing the medals the way they are.

I have read and am aware but would like to restore the MOH, make it difficult to earn.
Old 09-17-20, 09:08 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If a person could only do "math" on certain aspects of the game... This is one area of the game where either someone did not realize that someone else had already made provisions for the computer using "zero" as the start for counting in the game's code, and thus added their own -or- the dev's "fix" for not repeating a mission came into play, with the mission assignment being done upon the player's arrival back at base, and thus the "counter" for missions is advanced prior to the code for awards and such is encountered... I don't know, but either way, look in the menu.txt file in the Data / Menu folder, and you'll find text around line 5890= that includes what you encounter: "... of the #SUBMARINENAME# during the #PATROLNUMBER# war patrol(s) of ..." etc. Of interest is the "#" hash symbol for print "formatting", such that there is the variable of "SUBMARINENAME" and "PATROLNUMBER". If there was a way to "capture" that prior to "fetching" it, and subtract 1 from it... but alas, this is SH4...

Ah, got ya. Been a while but don't remember the bug in stock, but again it has been a while. A decade now actually, time flies.
Old 09-18-20, 08:27 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I have read and am aware but would like to restore the MOH, make it difficult to earn.
I cannot remember the details, but it seems to me that the number of medals are set in stone, cut eons ago, and cannot be altered. The way the CMH and NC are handled in some mods are slightly different, but similar, in that with FotRSU, the Asiatic / Pacific Campaign medal was "added" (a renamed Bronze Star). The "pictures" of, and display names of the medals above were changed, but their "ID" remains the same due to that hard-coding. It can get rather complicated remembering what is what in the files, but a comparison to Stock can help in that regard. There are not that many files involved for the basic medal set-up. However, in our constant quest for "realism" in FotRSU, we'll eventually be re-visiting "renown" awarded again. I wish we could alter the "levels" required, and shift the conning towers ahead of the new boats, and other things of that ilk, including the medals, to where you can control the amount of renown required for "rewards", but alas, you cannot, so altering the amount of renown given is the only way to do it... but finding that "balance" is the hard part...

btw, medal files (from an unreliable memory) are found in "Data / Menu / Gui / Medals" and "Data / UPCData / UPCCrewData" - I might be missing a reference...
Quote:
Ah, got ya. Been a while but don't remember the bug in stock, but again it has been a while. A decade now actually, time flies.
Yes it does... time flies when you're having fun, eh?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote