SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-17-20, 11:44 PM   #1
Terminal Lance
Nub

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Icon8 Just had 6 torpedo failures in a row. Bad luck or am I doing something wrong?

I need some thoughts on wtf just happened here. Currently in my career it is january 1941. I am hunting with a class IXC near the canary islands. I just encountered a standard british passenger/cargo ship. I line up for an attack at a 90 degree angle like usual and decide to fire a salvo of 2 G7e torpedoes.

Now, i am relatively new to the game but i am slowly improving, and Ive done plenty of simple attacks like this and even managed to pull off a few night time/ bad weather convoy attacks with hitting multiple targets, SO I know at least how to shoot.

Target depth 7.8m, and I opt for impact fuses because I am pretty sure the magnetic fuses havent been fixed yet in jan 1941 (i could be wrong). I set my depth to 3m and fire. Both torpedos go right underneath the target but they inexplicably traveled at like 12m.

Ok. ****. Thats a malfunction. I break off and stalk for another couple of hours and lineup for another attack, this time even closer (like 900m) and I fire AGAIN at a 90 degree angle.

Once again both torpedos go below the god damn ship wayyy too deep. Now im thinking wtf thats 4 malfunctions in a row. I quickly adjust for a stern shot after more stalking and this time i opt for a magnetic fuze because why not?

Torpedo sails right under, again too deep. I re adjust and fire a 6TH SHOT and this time it rides perfectly near the surface and it literally just bounces off the side.

6 shots in a row, 6 perfect timings, 6 failed torpedos. My skipper is probably losing his damn mind,
Terminal Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 02:04 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Terminal Lance!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 02:22 AM   #3
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal Lance View Post

1. Now, i am relatively new to the game but i am slowly improving, and Ive done plenty of simple attacks like this and even managed to pull off a few night time/ bad weather convoy attacks with hitting multiple targets, SO I know at least how to shoot.

2. Target depth 7.8m, and I opt for impact fuses because I am pretty sure the magnetic fuses havent been fixed yet in jan 1941 (i could be wrong).

3. I set my depth to 3m and fire. Both torpedos go right underneath the target but they inexplicably traveled at like 12m.

4. Torpedo sails right under, again too deep. I re adjust and fire a 6TH SHOT and this time it rides perfectly near the surface and it literally just bounces off the side.

1. What were the weather and sea conditions? What mods and games settings do you have installed?

2. Yes, for historic simulation reasons, one should not use the magnetic pistol from 06/40 until 11/42.

3. Common torpedo failue of "understeering", especially of but not limited to Eto.

4. Typical dud failure, can happen to both, Ato and Eto.
Old 09-18-20, 02:33 AM   #4
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Also are you using Hsie Patch and his Torpedo Fix?
If so, you should have a look in the Hsie pdf document, section Torpedo fix.
You always can deactivate this option if you find too many duds to your taste...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 10:11 AM   #5
Terminal Lance
Nub

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
1. What were the weather and sea conditions? What mods and games settings do you have installed?

2. Yes, for historic simulation reasons, one should not use the magnetic pistol from 06/40 until 11/42.

3. Common torpedo failue of "understeering", especially of but not limited to Eto.

4. Typical dud failure, can happen to both, Ato and Eto.
Weather was about 5mph winds, no big deal. Yes Im using the hardcoded fixes. To be honest, i dont think its bugged, like I said Ive had plenty of successful attacks, I think honestly I just may have gotten horrendous luck. heres my mod list anyways

GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Captain America's Officer Icons
GWX - English Nav Map and Grid Refs
GWX - Merged Campaign
GWX - Main movie - 'Das Boot'
GWX - Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas
GWX - Integrated Orders
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
GWX - No Medals on Crew
GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub
ARB WideGui 1920x1080
ARB WideGUI Fix
Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Black - All Leather] Patch
No Medals On Crew [Patch]
Chief Hat Emblem's
Rubini´s Underwater dust&plancton v1
M.E.P v6
Optional - FSF for MEP v6
Optional - ShipVanishingHull for MEP v6
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation
U-Boat VIIB (Turm 1 Late)
U-Boat VIIC 41
FixAllSubGWX
Adaptation for English & Deutsch
M.E.P v6- VisualSensors for GWX3
New_clearsky_clouds
Ricks_GWX_Rec_Man_Final
Sh3_volumetric_clouds&fog_V2.2
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71
Terminal Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-20, 12:45 PM   #6
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal Lance View Post
Weather was about 5mph winds, no big deal. Yes Im using the hardcoded fixes. To be honest, i dont think its bugged, like I said Ive had plenty of successful attacks, I think honestly I just may have gotten horrendous luck. heres my mod list anyways

GWX - 16km Atmosphere
GWX - Captain America's Officer Icons
GWX - English Nav Map and Grid Refs
GWX - Merged Campaign
GWX - Main movie - 'Das Boot'
GWX - Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas
GWX - Integrated Orders
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
GWX - No Medals on Crew
GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub
ARB WideGui 1920x1080
ARB WideGUI Fix
Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg
Rapt0r's Uniforms V2.0 [Black - All Leather] Patch
No Medals On Crew [Patch]
Chief Hat Emblem's
Rubini´s Underwater dust&plancton v1
M.E.P v6
Optional - FSF for MEP v6
Optional - ShipVanishingHull for MEP v6
TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation
U-Boat VIIB (Turm 1 Late)
U-Boat VIIC 41
FixAllSubGWX
Adaptation for English & Deutsch
M.E.P v6- VisualSensors for GWX3
New_clearsky_clouds
Ricks_GWX_Rec_Man_Final
Sh3_volumetric_clouds&fog_V2.2
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
Rbs1_SH4_Effects_GWX_30_71

I don't see anything in your mod list, that would suggest any abnormalties with the torpedoes, other than the h.sie mod (and perhaps, the torpedo malfunction option available in the game itself) ...

Tags
depth, problem, torpedo