Old 01-20-22, 10:28 AM   #31
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

This object is also needed in making homemade burger

Markus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burger shaper.jpg (34.0 KB, 3 views)

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 10:38 AM   #32
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

These come in many kinds and flavours. Not necessary, but it helps to speed up the process and to add consistency to size, form and thickness.
Old 01-20-22, 12:14 PM   #33
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Used to use this for my burgers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RSRBQ...f2eectkyn41utw

For the past month I'm now using this

https://jean-patrique.co.uk/products/the-whatever-pan

The dangers of using an aluminum fry pan to cook in is that research has shown abnormally high concentrations of Aluminum in patients suffering from alzheimers. A number of elements including metals are found naturally in the body. Iron ( Fe ) and sodium ( Na ) are found in the body. Sodium is of course an alkali earth metal on the periodic table of elements. Alzheimer's has also been connected with using anti antiperspirants that utilize Aluminum Zirconium TetraChlorhydrex GLY as an active ingredient

Aluminum is the one metal that should not be present in the body, especially the brain.

You may want to do some research to determine the safety of using such products, including the Aluminum fry pans.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 01:43 PM   #34
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
The dangers of using an aluminum fry pan to cook in is that research has shown abnormally high concentrations of Aluminum in patients suffering from alzheimers. A number of elements including metals are found naturally in the body. Iron ( Fe ) and sodium ( Na ) are found in the body. Sodium is of course an alkali earth metal on the periodic table of elements. Alzheimer's has also been connected with using anti antiperspirants that utilize Aluminum Zirconium TetraChlorhydrex GLY as an active ingredient

Aluminum is the one metal that should not be present in the body, especially the brain.

You may want to do some research to determine the safety of using such products, including the Aluminum fry pans.
Can't argue with the above but the pan comes with a non-stick surface (Free from PFOA, PTFE, PFAS, lead and nickel).

On a sadder note: The wife lost her father to Alzheimers the year after we wed at the ripe young age of 59

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 02:23 PM   #35
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Can't argue with the above but the pan comes with a non-stick surface (Free from PFOA, PTFE, PFAS, lead and nickel).

On a sadder note: The wife lost her father to Alzheimers the year after we wed at the ripe young age of 59

I certainly remember you telling me that. That is a big reason as to why I mentioned the correlation of Alzheimers and Aluminum concentrations in the brain. I try to avoid aluminum products.
Old 01-20-22, 03:04 PM   #36
Skybird
Soaring

The link between aluminium and Alzheimer so far is still a theory, and has not yet been proven to be a relevant causality. Its gets strongly propagated that it is, and yet many nations' according authorities and offices yet state that such a link has still not been scientifically proven. Factually that is true as to my best knoweledge, whether that denial it really is relevant may be something different.

The dosis makes the poison. I would suggest to avoid using aluminium one-time-use items, sinc ethese oftehn come into diretc contact with food, are exposed to acid compentns int he food, and are gettign scratched on. Like in germany frozen fish dishes, do not place these in the microwave and do not use aluminium foil together with citrus fruit juice, vinegar, and such. Put that fish in a glas bowl for cooking instead, and make sure aluminium foil does not come in contact with the food, use the foil as a lid on a container, do not roll the food directly into it. If it doesn'T contatc the food, is used as a lid that has no touching conneciton to food, it is no problem, most likely.

You can test it yourself, put some alu foil and citrus juice togetherk, you will see that the juice starts to corrode the foil, after some time/days/ few weeks it has holes, and some time longer it is gone: molten into the juice.

Anti-Transpirantscontaining aluminium salts should not be used immedately after a shave, micro injuries in the skin might be an issue, and such things also should not be used too often. Many of these however must not be used daily, but can be used just every couple of days. For some peopel, like myself until two years ago, these agents unfortunately are the only once that realyl help to stop excessive transpiration, the other stuff all may not work. Today I know: eat more salt. Dubling the daily intake dose solved excissve sweating for me from one day to the next.

Some practical reason implemented should keep you save, no need to panic. There are other causes for Alzheimer as well, btw, amongst them too few good fats and too many bad fats, too little salt, and too much sugar/simple carbohydrates. Individual epigenetics, genetic vuln erability in families, living style, environmental toxines, and many other variables, lack of nutrients, exposition to heavy metals: so many different things attribute to the accumulated risk of the individual to develop Alzheimer. Do not link it to just one linear cause and ignore the many others! Better food quality I assume to be of paramount importance, many people treat their cars' engines better than their body.

This is not meant to say you should stop avoiding aluminium-Teflon pans, personally I see no problem in these since the aluminium comes not into contact with the food in the pan, but if you feel good with avoiding such pans, then avoid them, no harm will be done that way, and feeling well this way means one feels well this way. Just that nobody believes that this is all Alzheimer prophylaxis needed!

Last edited by Skybird; 01-20-22 at 03:14 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 03:15 PM   #37
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Thread of the year 2022. You have mt full attention.

Old 01-20-22, 03:34 PM   #38
Skybird
Soaring

I take offence from a burger that is a tower so high that I need fork and knife to tear it apart and eat it. A burger must be a compact enough pack, in my book at least, that I can grab it and pack it in a paper napkin and can bite it from top to bottom, almost, without the whole thing falling apart. Like a squirrel holds its big walnut, a skybird hold a burger in both paws, I mean hands, that is how nature has meant things to be and why humans were given two hands and a mouth.

Kleckern is a no-go!
Old 01-20-22, 05:10 PM   #39
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I have never seen these freeze dried onions and the like but will look to see if our grocer carries these.

By the way, I think the lot of you are all chefs or frustrated cooks.
They are worth asking for. Bug your grocer to get them in stock.
What I forgot to mention about the red onions is that they have a slight sweetness to them (kind of Vidalia-like) and are not over-powering like regular onion flakes. Basically, they don't taste cheap.

Funny story from back in my non-qual days on the Barbel, I was assigned for my sentence of Crank Duty in the galley and it was like throwing Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.

I got to be friends with most of the cooks (rule #1 for subs, ALWAYS make friends with the cooks) and their Chief due to my experience working in the family (seafood) restaurant. We had a LOT to talk about which helped with the long hours.
One day we were in Yokosuka and getting ready for a VIP dinner on the boat. My best bud in MS division came up to me said, "Try this.. Chief told me to make cocktail sauce for the boiled shrimp."

"Bill, its orange..."
"I know, I've never made it before but try it.."

Once I get my voice back I say, "Bill its supposed to be cocktail sauce, it isn't supposed to burn through steel..

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 05:40 PM   #40
Skybird
Soaring

As a student, for 6 weeks in summer, I was working as kind of a "cook", from 1600 to 2300. The kitchen was super small, the air was thick, temp was above 40°C all the time since opening windows was forbidden by police due to complaints, and the Beergarden were it was had around 150 seats inside and I thinka round 250 or 300 outside: an din summer it was always full house, and crowded, and super hectic. And in the middle of it was little me... I was hopelessly overstrained, it was exhausting, from week to week there were more complaints (which I fully understand - I would have fired myself...), and when I went home at night, my skin was sticky like glue and stank of sweat and frying oil. It was hell. Of course, underpaid too.

I quit voluntarily. Its the only job in my life I ever quit because I was unable to get it under control. Its a miracle that I lasted 6 weeks. This one went over my head.

Much later I learned that the beergarden owners consumed cooks like other people eat burgers. Usually they lasted less than 4-5 weeks. So seen this way I fared not that shabby than I thought. Still it was a terrible job. And I still feel an urge to apologize to the many guest whose evenings I ruined with what I now would call "merciless food".

But I learned one thing. Never visit a restaurant with a kitchen were guests cannot look into. Yes - right because of the possible reasons you now think of.

If somebody ever visity my place and looks for a superb quality restaurant but friendly, intimate service and feeling but grounded prices, its the "Gasthaus Stevertal" in the Stevertal near Nottuln, maybe 40 bicycle minutes west of Münster. Its family-held in third generation, cozy, gemütlich, and the cuisine is superb. From one of the rooms you can sit and eat while having direct look over the open counter into the kitchen, its idela if you are alone there, so I know from own eyesight that their kitchen is run excellently, and clean. I visit them only once a year or so, but the visit and stay is always a "bomb". The rent rooms, too. The staff is very kind and sympathetic. They live for their work, and they love it and are proud of their acchievements. It cannot get any better, its the only restaurant I know for which I have nothing but praise. And I can trust the quality of their foods and their clean kitchen blindly.

https://www.gasthaus-stevertal.de/
Old 01-20-22, 08:07 PM   #41
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
They are worth asking for. Bug your grocer to get them in stock.
What I forgot to mention about the red onions is that they have a slight sweetness to them (kind of Vidalia-like) and are not over-powering like regular onion flakes. Basically, they don't taste cheap.

Funny story from back in my non-qual days on the Barbel, I was assigned for my sentence of Crank Duty in the galley and it was like throwing Br'er Rabbit in the briar patch.

I got to be friends with most of the cooks (rule #1 for subs, ALWAYS make friends with the cooks) and their Chief due to my experience working in the family (seafood) restaurant. We had a LOT to talk about which helped with the long hours.
One day we were in Yokosuka and getting ready for a VIP dinner on the boat. My best bud in MS division came up to me said, "Try this.. Chief told me to make cocktail sauce for the boiled shrimp."

"Bill, its orange..."
"I know, I've never made it before but try it.."

Once I get my voice back I say, "Bill its supposed to be cocktail sauce, it isn't supposed to burn through steel..

Your cocktail sauce sounds a lot like my " firehouse " Chili. Although it's good and tasty I think, I always make sure there is 2-3 pitchers of ice water when I serve my Chili. It helps to put out the fires.

Quick story. I had an upper endoscopy so the doc's could check out my stomach. My doc's said that in spite of treating major league alcoholics, my stomach was worse than any of them. They about fell over when I told them I don't drink and never did other than the occasional beer, wine or mixed drink.

They determined it was my spicy food and cooking that did me in. Oh well. I'm paying for it now. Even now, my lady will watch when we are out to see how much spice I use on my food. I'm not allowed to cook at home with spices now except a very small amount.

Thanks for the great info.
Old 01-21-22, 07:25 AM   #42
Skybird
Soaring

Got that little table patty grill this morning, and just tried it out.

It works nice. It took around 15 minutes to get the minced meat done and a mild crust on it. A lot of grease appears, like it is always the case wiht minced meat, it dripped into a small cup that the amazon pictures do not show, and can easily be emptied and cleaned separately. When opening the lid, you should have a paper towel ready to immediately do a quick swipe on the heating element in the lid, before the grease starts to drip down and into the hinge linking the lid with the base case. Once you know that, it is a very clean affair. The grill itself is best cleaned with just another papertowel as long as the plates are not hot anymore, but good warm, and the rease is still "liquid". Its Teflon, no need to have soap and water involved.

No drops of oil splashing around. Almost no smell. Very comfortable. Ideal for a single person household.

I made a single meatball (salt, pepper, nutmeg, onion), consisting of the two round slices placed on top of each other and mustard between them. Quick, clean, tasty, practical. It draws 800 W.

The forms have 10cm in diameter and are around 1.8 - 2 cm thick, depending on the pressure you imply on the lid. A separate patty form is not needed, just fill the minced meat into the grill directly and smooth it with your fingers.

I paid 16 coins. For that money the absence of a switch is excusable. It has two control lamps, one for "plug in wall-mount" (power on), one for heating up.

If you like "Bouletten" and Burger, recommended.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-25-22 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-25-22, 06:13 AM   #43
Skybird
Soaring

Tried a new secret ingredient, and it impacted like a culinaric tactical warhead: sweet chili sauce between the tomatoes and lower salad. Additional to the P&W Burger dressing spreaded on the buns.

Construction manual , layers form top to bottom:

a few drops of roasted sesam oil
burger bun
P&W Burger Dressing
salad of any kind
2 strips of bacon
onion rings
1 slice of melting cheese
beef (very little salt and pepper)
1 slice of melting cheese
3 slices of tomatoes
Heinz Sweet Chili Sauce
salad
P&W Burger Dressing
burger bun

All packed into a paper towel. Grab it tight with both hands and dont let it go, and if it gives you troubles and tries to escape - bite it!

The disadvantage of something so tasty is that it disappears the faster the better it tastes. And no, its not healthy. But its fun.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-25-22 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-25-22, 09:50 PM   #44
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

One of those FYI things:

The secret ingredient in White Castle Hamburgers is..liver.
If you have your own meat grinder, grind raw beef liver in a 10% ratio and add it to your ground beef. You don't want it over powering, just a mysterious hint of something else. This also works well when making meat loaf.
For the full Whitecastle experience, start by frying raw onions to the point of being almost caramelized. Set aside as a topping and fry your burgers in the same pan.

Aw crap, I'm getting hungry..
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote