SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-12, 04:43 AM   #16
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570
Uploads: 0

thanks rubini, will report back soon
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 12:51 PM   #17
Borgneface
Captain

Downloads: 657

Ahoy Rubini,

This mod sounds really great.....The hydrophone was always my "favorite" and any mod for it is welcome!
I will of course give feed back ..

Thank you
Old 03-08-12, 02:22 PM   #18
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275

@Rubini

Thanks mate d/l'ing now, can't play till w/end tho unfortunately

Will report back with findings asap

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 03:39 PM   #19
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi Rubini,

nice mod

Just a small question: Why does the first SensorData has a MinSensorHeight of -500 and not -15 (max. depth of the second SensorData)?

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-12, 03:49 PM   #20
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi Rubini,

nice mod

Just a small question: Why does the first SensorData has a MinSensorHeight of -500 and not -15 (max. depth of the second SensorData)?

Regards, LGN1
Yeah! This is where the cat lives. I can exply...but try to think how the whole mod works and you will see that it will not work this way. Even the second sensordata MinSensorHeigh can be -500 too without problems...
Old 03-13-12, 04:46 AM   #21
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50

Did a small test with a TypVII-Boat and two destroyers at a distance of 16km and 24km. Before Rubins mod was installed, the far away being DD was detected within a few minutes at periscope depth at a range of 24.6km:

After installing Rubinis Mod, the following happened:

No detection at all at periscope depth. Diving to 17m, sonar guy discovered a contact at 14.2 km:

Rising back to P-depth led to contact lost:

Back to 17m, 2 contacts were discovered, the farer away at a range of 17.2km

Back to P-depth both contact lines were disappearing time after time because contact was lost:

At a second test i went to P-depth, no detecting, then to 17m, first contact was found at approx. 14km and at last going down to 30m. At 27m the second destroyer was discovered at a distance of 24.4km:

This is a wonderful mod an i love to see it working it although i used to go to 30m all the time when listening around. But now i know it has a benefit. Great. On the other hand, in shallow water, we have to be aware that hydrophon range is restricted to a range eventually shorter than sight! So sometimes our hydrophone is getting rather useless. Thank you very much, Rubini.
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 08:26 AM   #22
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Thanks by the feedback Leitender,

The mod was made with the intention to have contacts after 10-11m (a short one at this depth).

What type of hydro are you using on your test mission (i mean, GHG, KDB or Balcon)? Probably was the KDB because I made it a bit "deep" because it is at up deck but the game don't uses the boat depth but the object itself. I guess that you understand my point.

I will release a new version with corrected shallow min heigh and please test it again. In some hours today.
Old 03-13-12, 08:57 AM   #23
Leitender
Planesman

Hello Rubini,

thank you for your answer. I will look for the kind of hydrophone tonight, when i´m at home, but i believe you´re right with your KDB asumption, because it was a Type VIIB boat and the testing date was 09/43. We will see.

Concerning your second sentence, i think you mean the difference between "Minheight" and "MinSensorheight, do you?

For me everything worked as expected, one meter above or below isn´t that important imho, but of course i will test your new version. Just tell me what i have to pay attention for. I Would be glad to give you some "input" after all that work you did for this game.

Yours, sincerly

Leitender
Old 03-13-12, 04:23 PM   #24
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

I just finished to set up my 'final' sh3-installation for seriously playing - and now you come with a new idea. That is not fair. .

Is it final or in development?

Last edited by h.sie; 03-13-12 at 05:27 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 05:42 PM   #25
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
I just finished to set up my 'final' sh3-installation for seriously playing - and now you come with a new idea. That is not fair. .

Is it final or in development?
Hi h.sie,
Nice to "see" you mate!

I just release the version 1.1, i guess that it´s the final version, check on the first post!
Here what was changed:

Update 13/03/2012
Vesion 1.1

- adjusted the MaxSensorHeight for each hydro type to be 2m height to allow detection after 10-11m deep

- if you start to receive hydro detections when surfaced (more probably in bad wheater, big waves) just put them 2m more below again or use version 1.0

===============================================

Seems that some of the hydro aren´t detecting when in PD at all. This isn´t a fault of this mod, because in version one I just used the same values in question that are in the big mods. This adjust was made years ago to avoid hydro detection when surfaced...but perhaps it was a bit too much. I just put all them 2m heigh in version 1.1.

So, now we have 2 versions that are the same, just this MaxSensorHeight on the first sensorsdata for each hydro that was changed as explained above.
Old 03-13-12, 05:53 PM   #26
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitender View Post
Hello Rubini,

thank you for your answer. I will look for the kind of hydrophone tonight, when i´m at home, but i believe you´re right with your KDB asumption, because it was a Type VIIB boat and the testing date was 09/43. We will see.

Concerning your second sentence, i think you mean the difference between "Minheight" and "MinSensorheight, do you?

For me everything worked as expected, one meter above or below isn´t that important imho, but of course i will test your new version. Just tell me what i have to pay attention for. I Would be glad to give you some "input" after all that work you did for this game.

Yours, sincerly

Leitender
Thanks again by the comment mate!
Yes, I wrote a wrong sentence, forget Minheight" and "MinSensorheight, the correct should be "MaxSensorHeight". Now, reading your first post more carefully I saw that in any moment you tested a ship less than 12km away, so I should not have the conclusion that something was wrong with the mod/hydro MaxSensorHeight, probably it was not.

I´m not playing SH3 latelly (I´m messing with Sh5 a bit!), anyway i released a version 1.1 where i made the MaxSensorHeight 2m height for each hydro. So, now we have 2 working versions, one with the same values with the super mods and the new one with a bit more sensible in PD.

Sorry by the confusion...it was the first time that i made a mod without being playing the game
Old 03-13-12, 08:15 PM   #27
Leitender
Planesman

Hi Rubini,

i just reviewed my setting, but it must have been an GHG hydrophone. In my currently used basic.cfg, delivered with Testpilots great Type VIIB Mod, hydrophone standard equipment is "1270" for every year, which is determined as GHG at the bottom of this cfg file.

I also took a look at the foredeck, but no KDB device was mounted:

At last, i could have proved to have a GHG immediatly, because i had to turn my boat to get contact to the DD directly ahead of me, because of the deaf area of the GHG around the bow:

Generations of SH3 beginners (including me) claimed this effect to be a bug without knowing anything about the geometric restrictions of this hydrophone...

To come back to what you wrote: I´m not sure if i understood completely what you meant: in my tests no ship was at a distance closer than 12km. I did not test this because i thought within this distance a ship always is to be discovered, even when using your mod and being in shallow depth?

I did another test with your 1.0 version which showed a ship´s contact by GHG at periscope depth closer than 12km:

To another ship at a distance of little bit more than 12km, contact was lost after rising to PD from a deeper depth of approx 17m:

So in the end, it seems to me that version 1.0 works perfectly how you described it and how i expected it.

Greetings
Old 03-13-12, 09:10 PM   #28
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Thanks again Leitender,

Yes, GHG is blind (I mean deaf) in some degrees in front of and at the back too, this was historically correct.

And good to know that also version 1.0 is working...anyway version 1.1 is released and will stay as an option if someone have no detection at PD at all.

==========================================

@LGN1
Now some more info on how the mod works (a LGN1 request):

1. As you know it adds 3 SensorsData layer for each hydro type,
2. Each layer was setted to a restrict MaxSensorHeight (first layer -3m kDB to -9m GHG, second layer -15, third layer -25).
3. The MinSensorHeight is always -500 (at least for the first and the last layer). Here is the trick.
4. We must think that the correct could be each layer be this way: first, let´s say -6 to -15, second -15 to -25, third -25 to -500. But this way it will not work WELL at all.
5. If we use the segmented approach as exposed above, when the player comes from a depth from another the hydro sensors will be reseted (on and off) and then a gap - sometimes small, sometimes big - will appears for the same contact (as a new contact need to be made for the new sensorsdata in use). It will work, but with gaps.
6. So, with the solution in use we will have smooth depth layers contacts!

LOL! Isn´t easy to explain how a trick issue works with my poor english!

Last edited by Rubini; 03-13-12 at 09:46 PM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 12:46 AM   #29
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

hi rubini, can confirm similar resuts. At 30-40meters depth hydrophones work well w with decreasing effectiveness as your reach periscope depth. Also, when listening at sonar station nothing is heard, then sounds start getting oucked up as depth increases. Im not sure if a bug, but contacts seem to show on the nav map regardless of depth chages. I have to test this further
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 03:34 AM   #30
Borgneface
Captain

Downloads: 657

Salut! Rubini,

A bit later than the others, but as promised I confirm that your mod does what it says in the read me!
I was going to post a more detailed result but after what our collegues Kaleun just did...I do not think I can add anything