Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-10, 04:33 PM   #1
ENEMY BELOW
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Really good 'cold war' sub sim?

aTTENTION ALL HANDS!
as I've probably given away IN THE THREAD TITLE , I'm looking for a recomendation towards what is a really good 'Cold war Era' sub sim; preferably with voice command. I'm disability retired early and love the novels by Clancy,Mark Joseph and whomever, of sub activity. My son-in-law gave me 'ENIGMA: RISING TIDE'
which has great voice command ability nbut the WWII scenarios and kind of 'set-piece' situations just don't 'do-it' for me. I'd like to discover a voice command sub-sim that lets you just 'cast-off lines and sail from port into a sea that might have randomly positioned "adversary' subs and surface ships to deal with. And maybe the odd 'coolant pump' failure, etc.
while allowing you to choose which side of the cold warrior you want to be and attack or boomer sub at one's whim.without any points accumulatio or gaming to actually 'Win'. just a scenario to drive your 'boat' in and have fun.
ANY BODY OUT THERE EXPEWRT ENOUGH TO RECOMEND SUCH A SOFTWARE, OR EXPERT ENOUGH TO SAY" FORGET IT BUDDY , 'DERE AIN'T NO SUCH BEAST!' thanks all and
"take 'er down'

ENEMY BELOW.
And are many of you old enough as me to know the answer to the question in Crimson Tide' about "who was the captain of the german sub in 'THE ENEMY BELOW?"
dUH, OBVIOUSLY CURT jURGENS WHOM ALSO PORTRAYED GENERAL ALFRED JODLIN 'PATTON'
ENEMY BELOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 08:32 PM   #2
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I highly recommend Dangerous Waters. It has voice command and is pretty much the only show in town for a cold war sub sim (Besides of course 688i Hunterkiller and Sub Command). With the LWAMI or RA mod put in, it's well worth it. Subsim's download area has both the official update patch (which I REALLY recommend putting in), as well as links to the LWAMI and RA mods. I play Dangerous Waters more than any other sim that I own.
Old 10-08-10, 10:49 PM   #3
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

I still think 'Fast Attack' is one of the best but an old game and wouldn't know if it runs on Windows 7, probably on WinXP. I played it when Win98 second edition was the gamers favorite OS.

And what blacklight said Dangerous Waters or Sub Command are worth trying.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 08:57 AM   #4
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Friend I'd second dangerous waters with super mod and I'd recommend DWX(which is also called RA or Reinforce Alert mod) from Russian community. Be aware that DW is not about eye candy and it's more like a procedural or functionality sub sim than an experience sim or a study sim.

You can get the mod from here
http://www.ra-dwx.narod.ru/download.htm

I've made several scenarios for DWX too
Take a look here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...p?do=cat&id=38

Two of which have a cold war background in it!

Gibraltar transit

Beautiful starry night for the passenger of this Cruise ship . . .

Perhaps this could be your ticket to the mediterranean. You're the skipper. It's your call.

On the other hand if the cruise ship took torpedo hit intended for you and you were sunk in the strait in the end you would be an embarrassment to the Soviet Naval Command.

Improvise, be vigilant, you have the initiative, you have the conn!

v Hard Sept 28th 2010(For DWX)
The purpose of this version is to increase the difficulty such that player would appreciate more or be rewarded more making it to the finish area and successfully completing the mission. This means the difficulty has been raised a notch to better reflect the Allies forces attempting to enforce blockade in and out of the Gibraltar strait to non NATO submarines.

Changes to original version
Added more probability of enemy combatant order of battle to increase the difficulty for those who like challenges.
Added more doctrines.
Changes in tactics.

For error reporting please reach me via subsim: Castout (Edit: if you spot collision between AI ships pls do tell me or if you spot any damaged AI platform that was damaged not because you attacked them). I'm not sure whether AI will avoid each other when on collision course accidentally. They should automatically imo because otherwise scripting for all AI that has the possibility of colliding with another AI vessel is a lot of pointless work.

Save often,
The mission is designed with replayability in mind too
Godspeed and good hunting

If you make it to the finish line in this mission it's either you're lucky and a good skipper or you're not so lucky but an extremely good skipper. Either way be proud!

And a good skipper never cheat. Remember that!

If in any time in game you feel like joining the airforce instead this mission has served its purpose

Soviet Victor II that tried sneaking into the Med by following close behind a merchant ship

Crazy Ivan
v1.02(readme says 1.04 ignore it)

Fixed critical goal

It's August 1995, Now is 8 in the morning and You're in command of the Russian SSBN Typhoon. . . . .perhaps it is time to check baffles . . . .

Now are you a good skipper who is able to apply an effective countermeasure to enemy submarine trailing on your command?! This is a skipper dueling another skipper in the battle of wits. Who will prevail?

Note:
I hope you can appreciate the feeling of being a boomer skipper specifically Russian boomer skipper whose command is often trailed by the attack submarine from the opposing faction and enjoy living the experience. And this mission also serves to give credits to the awesome Typhoon(Akula) class SSBN model in DWX.

v MP included

Meant to be played for 2 players and not for SP at all!
This is strictly a Multi player scenario and can't be played for Single player unless that player takes the helm of the Typhoon.

Blue skipper wins when at the finish of the game the critical goal for RED never gets triggered i.e when the Typhoon skipper gives up!

Recommendation: better skipper should take the helm of the Typhoon

Weapons tight!

It is a simple scenario design wise.

v102 Fixed critical goal

v101 Critical goal now will trigger under imposed condition, numerous script and doctrines changes.

Report any feedback and error to me via Subsim.

Castout
Old 10-18-10, 10:13 PM   #5
ENEMY BELOW
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Default cold war sim thanx!

I really appreciate thatnyou all took time to give me some excellant guidance!
I'll check 'em all out as best I can b4 'jumping' But it sure sounds like DW is the way to go, or at least can't go wrong trying it.

sail on friends,
Go big 'D', Fly!
E.B.
ENEMY BELOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 10:42 PM   #6
Castout
Silent Hunter

I just want to stress DW is less about eye candy. DW is a sort of perversion to people who like it . Those who don't catch it won't understand why some people like it so much.
Old 10-19-10, 07:02 AM   #7
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
I just want to stress DW is less about eye candy. DW is a sort of perversion to people who like it . Those who don't catch it won't understand why some people like it so much.
Looks better than IL-2 naval units, and thats all that counds

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 05:53 PM   #8
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwieger View Post
Looks better than IL-2 naval units, and thats all that counds
only that in IL-2 you are flying at the minimum couple hundred meters from them instead directly viewing them up close and personal which bring the ugliness to full bear. Older people tend not to have problem with graphics in game perhaps largely because they see themselves in the mirror every morning but younger kids these days they may have trouble accepting DW graphics and be discouraged from even trying . . .
Old 10-19-10, 06:12 PM   #9
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I only know 2 things about DW.

1. I have it in my collection.

2. The manual is the size of a phonebook.

There's also Janes 688i Hunter\Killer.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 09:49 PM   #10
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
I only know 2 things about DW.

1. I have it in my collection.

2. The manual is the size of a phonebook.

There's also Janes 688i Hunter\Killer.
Two words: Shame on you

Last edited by Castout; 10-20-10 at 01:25 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 10:48 PM   #11
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Do you play 688(i) Hunter/Killer?

As for IL-2... someone should tell Oleg to stick to the Eastern Front

I happen to like big manuals...

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote