Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 10-27-08, 06:53 AM   #16
RICH12ACE
Officer

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0
Default interiors?

hi all what tank 3d interiors does steel fury have apart from the t34?
RICH12ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 10:19 AM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH12ACE
hi all what tank 3d interiors does steel fury have apart from the t34?
playable tanks: 3 (T-34/76 mod. 1941, Mk.II ‘Matilda' III, Pz. IV Ausf. F2.)
Old 10-27-08, 12:03 PM   #18
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Hello all, so yesterday I downloaded the demo. I start the game up and everything is fine. So I go to start a mission and when the mission starts the screen is black with white. I can hear the tank but cannot see it.
Old 10-29-08, 09:33 PM   #19
Speedy
Nub

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabiz
I am getting both anyway, the few sim-makers are holy crusaders in my book, but can anybody say something about the differences between Kharkov and T34 vs Tiger?
T-34vsTiger seems to be getting something of a bagging on the Lighthouse forums.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 07:15 AM   #20
tigershuffle
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force
Hello all, so yesterday I downloaded the demo. I start the game up and everything is fine. So I go to start a mission and when the mission starts the screen is black with white. I can hear the tank but cannot see it.
Checkout the lighthouse forums and possibly t34 v tiger forums.....
Im sure I read that someone had similar problems. I think it was thought to be Nvidia or possibly Vista related.?!?
Ive had no probs : XP/Ati 3650/2gb mem/Athlon X2 3600.
tigershuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-08, 06:23 AM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

To bring this thread up to the top again.

First small feedbacks of SF-customers have started to drip in. They are enthusiastic about it. It seems to be an awful lot better than TvT.

So if you still look for a WWII tanksim, don't give up your optimism too early after the TvT debacle (that'S what it seems to be, I even saw it already at reduced price).

Maybe I will embark of SF indeed, despite my mediocre demo impressions (the demo is over a year old).
Old 11-15-08, 01:12 PM   #22
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigershuffle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force
Checkout the lighthouse forums and possibly t34 v tiger forums.....
Im sure I read that someone had similar problems. I think it was thought to be Nvidia or possibly Vista related.?!?
Ive had no probs : XP/Ati 3650/2gb mem/Athlon X2 3600.
Yea, its my 8800GTX. But theres a patch, sadly its for the russian, and the game dosent appear to be sold in the US.
Old 11-17-08, 09:20 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

GoGamer.com now lists SF with a release date of 18th November and a price of 40 $US.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-17-08 at 09:21 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-08, 09:59 AM   #24
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
First small feedbacks of SF-customers have started to drip in. They are enthusiastic about it. It seems to be an awful lot better than TvT.
Got exactly the same feelings after reading the different reviews....
Old 11-17-08, 10:59 AM   #25
Skybird
Soaring

Reviews...?
Old 11-18-08, 03:14 AM   #26
Monkwarrior
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
So if you still look for a WWII tanksim, don't give up your optimism too early after the TvT debacle (that'S what it seems to be, I even saw it already at reduced price).
Since you brought it up.
Did you buy TvT yourself and try it out ?
If not I suggest you do so, because opinions are so much more creditable if the person talking about it actually knows what he is talking about.
I have a totally different opinion about it, but you might have guessed that

Monk.
Monkwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 06:10 AM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

No, I did not buy it, but I am aware of the customer feedback in the forums, and that is listing a whole lot of problems that are not just hallucinations as long as the folks are not all on dope, also the reviews we got so far did not convince me. The content also is not enough attractive for me, since I am not so much interested in (disfunctional for many people) MP.

On the other hand, the preview and first customer feedback of SF is much more positive, and it seems that SF is holding the promise that TvT just made.

Many people seem to think like me, leading to low sales numbers: some international trader, I think it was gogamer, already has it reduced price - so has a german company as well. Finally, activity in the lighthouse forums is relatively low, that speaks for people not being interested anymore, and developer feedback is close to zero as well. Also, our own tanksim squad over here has not seen any activity since almost 3 weeks - although I even asked for it. It is difficult to run a game in MP mode if MP is broken for the majority of people.

So why should I lose money on TvT if the apparently better executed project seem to be SF?

Regarding tanks, I am an SBP-PE animal anyway. that is the standard to which I compare any new tank simulation - and it has to leave a good impression at least. when you already know the best, you are not easily satisfied with something of lesser simulation quality - and why should you even be?

Currently, TvT is in a state that makes recommending to spend money on it a dubious action. By the past reputation of the developer, the future does not look promising for the game. I wish for those who already spend money on it that there will be a patch fixing the major MP and AI issues that are reported so often, but even then I would not be willing to embark on it anymore, and would not willing to encourage them with such rushed, ill-prepared premature releases by giving them reward for this poor policy - by buying it. I personally think the developer fired a quick shot, and now earns what he could get on the fly and then will drop back into hidden cover, never to be seen again. Think they will not do more than the minimum needed. they did like that in the past, too.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-18-08 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-18-08, 06:39 AM   #28
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Regarding tanks, I am an SBP-PE animal anyway. that is the standard to which I compare any new tank simulation - and it has to leave a good impression at least. when you already know the best, you are not easily satisfied with something of lesser simulation quality - and why should you even be?
That standard makes you as flexible as a steel gunbarrel of a tank.
how can something made by a game industry compare to a Military converted simulator?

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 11-18-08 at 06:39 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-08, 07:12 AM   #29
Skybird
Soaring

How can a company smaller than even a small game developement group and with just one lead programmer create something that outclasses products created with bigger staff and financial support? Answer: taking the time it needs, and being more clever and more dedicated than others. even the first SB (1 or Gold edition) still is superior to what we have in other tank games, and that title was a game developement for sure.

When you have flown "Falcon 4", you are no longer satisfied with flying the old "Jetfighter" games. Especially when they are broken. When you know SBP1, you will not be satisfied with M1TP2 anymore.

I certainly do not expect SF do beat SBP, it seems there is also too much professional insider knowledge enagged in SBP. But I can use SBP as a guideline on the basics a tanksim must fulfill to be a tanksim. I can compare the AI system. The way unit formation works. the importance of scripting versus flexible calculated responses. All that is no stuff exlusively for military simulators, but plays a role in dedicated game-simulators as well. And I can use my usual game standards for quality control that I already fought for when they released Sub Command and Dangerous Waters - both with some considerable flaws that they took over a year to fix (or not). That obvious and known bugs do not allow a game to be released, is one such demand, for example, and it makes perfect sense.

So, if your tanksim cannot jump over the hurdle set up by SBP, at least make it climb over it in a reasonable ammount of time, then, and eventually it gets my approval, taking into account it's different market focus. But when it head-on runs into it and brakes it down and then does not continue to run, don't expect my applaus.

So in a way you are right: I am not too flexible indeed in what I consider as basic elements of defining "quality". Many people are very flexible here, means: very forgiving, compromising quality that way. Thats why the market quality level is as mediocre as it is: business sees that it gets away with not doing better. So, people get what they deserve, and quality software since years becomes more and more rare, and more and more often games have been rushed out too early, being sold in a broken state months before completion. It pays off for producers.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-18-08 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-18-08, 07:20 AM   #30
Skybird
Soaring

Back on topic:

Latest SF-video, just two days old. I assume the user made it with the current version being sold.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-18-08 at 11:39 AM.