SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-06, 08:38 PM   #1
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default "View Sensor Ranges" option.

Hello.

I am totally confused with the "View Sensor Ranges" option in the Mission Editor. I need to have an idea of how far/close I can place units so that I am able to detect them. I have been fooling around with it some, but I don't fully understand. Sometimes it asks me for a target platform, and then sometimes I get an error saying that the computed range is 0. What does that mean? That the sensor won't pick up the target platform at all, or that it is too far?

The controlable platform in this mission is the Akulla II (Gepard). I don't know if that matters or not... I am using 1.03 with LWAMI.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 10:36 PM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Yes, computed range = 0 means that the editor predicts that the sensor cannot detect the target platform. I don't know whether or not the editor takes LW/Ami into consideration, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't account for acoustic conditions; it's just an approximation.
Old 04-26-06, 04:41 AM   #3
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

When range=0 appears is because that the sensor you have chosen isn't able to detect the ship/sub/plane... i.e.: a radar can´t detect a submerged sub; the T.A. can´t detect a building, and so on...
Old 04-26-06, 03:03 PM   #4
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28

I have an Akula II and an Ohio class SSNB. I have placed the akula within 500 yards of the Ohio class, and when I try to display the sensor ranges I still get the "computed range = 0" error. This is happening on all of my passive sonar arrays. What the hell? How am I supposed to make a simple mission where I track and sink the Ohio class? I am totally confused. How do mission writers know how close/far to place units on the map?
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-06, 03:28 PM   #5
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

I'd say scrap that feature of the mission editor altogether... its probably taking crap values from the database.

Your personal experience is much more helpful, also the acoustic conditions can vary *so much* that the mission needs to be extensively tested from the initial creation onward.

Basically, start with the idea that the detections are going to happen around 10-15nm for modern subs against quiet subs and then work from there.