Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 05-15-08, 10:11 AM   #106
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Come ooon Ubi, you've rushed out all your games, do it now too!! :rotfl:
At what costs
I dont know, what the PC games cost nowadays.. 40-50€? :hmm: :p

But really, I'm starting to go over the point where I dont give a feck what is left out/to be patched later I just want it. What if the game sucks balls? We've waited for years and it ends up like IL2 with upgraded graphics. Oleg should go to some PR-course, we really need more info about the game.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 10:29 AM   #107
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

My guess would be that he would try to hit us with a Tallboy

so we would go like this:

HunterICX
Old 05-16-08, 07:27 AM   #108
Steel_Tomb
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Thats hillarous Hunter! SoW is like DCS BS its taking years longer than expected.

System Spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz | 4Gb Corsair XMS2 Dominator DDR2 PC-2 6400 RAM |
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640mb PCI-E | Creative X-fi sound card | 250Gb HDD |

Rest In Peace Dave, you will be missed.
Steel_Tomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-08, 04:29 AM   #109
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX
Quote:
Come ooon Ubi, you've rushed out all your games, do it now too!! :rotfl:
At what costs
I dont know, what the PC games cost nowadays.. 40-50€? :hmm: :p

But really, I'm starting to go over the point where I dont give a feck what is left out/to be patched later I just want it. What if the game sucks balls? We've waited for years and it ends up like IL2 with upgraded graphics. Oleg should go to some PR-course, we really need more info about the game.
Exactly. Though the the fanbois are still very vocal, it's not like everybody thought IL2 was the best game of all time. And it's not like a decade for its development warrants in any way that SOW will not be more of the same we had with IL2, just with much more polygons.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 08:36 AM   #110
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Wohoo! New shots from SOW & an Korean War sim based on SOW engine:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...74&postcount=7
Old 06-08-08, 10:17 AM   #111
Biggles
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 5

Korea too eh?

Now, gimme somethin' real about WWI!
Old 06-09-08, 09:33 AM   #112
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Any idea when SoW is do out? I kind of gave up on IL2 and have been waiting for SoW.
Old 06-09-08, 10:08 AM   #113
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Any idea when SoW is do out? I kind of gave up on IL2 and have been waiting for SoW.
We havent got a damn clue, Oleg keeps changing the date of release...

but on the bright side, they seem to be working on a Korean combat flightsim too :hmm: interesting development

HunterICX
Old 06-09-08, 12:31 PM   #114
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I guess the real question is what type of computer will we need to play the darn thing!
Old 06-09-08, 01:20 PM   #115
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
I guess the real question is what type of computer will we need to play the darn thing!
?
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 12:10 AM   #116
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Small update from Luthier:

Quote:
The problem with work in progress is that it's a work in progress. Things are released when they're ready. What possible reason do you think can anyone have to withold things? Alpha screenshots aren't shown at this time because they're alpha screenshots. A sim is a huge number of different components, which all need to come together in the end. Look up some shots from IL-2 alpha and compare them to release shots for a rough comparison. They look like two completely different sims. And the situation today is different than in the pre-Il-2 days. Even though some of you may feel different, it makes little sense to release things that may be unrepresentative of the final result right now - especially after so long a wait.

When things are ready, of course we'll be happy to share them with you. I've been roaming around Oleg's office all this week (and they worked all day Saturday too), and if I can get some of you to take my word for it, things are looking great. There's a crazy amount of really exciting things being done, things never even attempted by anyone before. The sim, on virtually every level, is head and shoulders above everything else.

Oleg and team are trying to build a benchmark sim for many years to come. This is why it's taking a long time. Il-2 lasted all these years because the initial work put into it was solid. Same thing is being done here. Making a masterpiece is hard back-breaking work.

I know it's hard to remain patient in the dark, but what can I say, things will be ready when they're ready.

As we get closer to release, Oleg promises to release more things more often, just as the case was eight years ago, as we were approaching the release of the original Il-2.
Old 06-16-08, 04:12 AM   #117
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Now, thats good to hear.
at least it proves they are still working on SoW

HunterICX
Old 06-25-08, 07:16 AM   #118
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Dont know if you have seen this before, but atleast I havent:
http://www.freewebs.com/heinkill/stormofwarnews.htm
Quote:
SoW forum discussion: June 08

Oleg says users will be able to add 'and program' ground objects like AA guns

Oleg Maddox has given some more detail on Battle of Britain, Storm of War (SoW) in a semi-interview style discussion on the 1C Forums. Spread across several threads/posts, his answers are distilled here. Any transcription/translation errors are mine:
Philosophy on game development
We want to build into BoB many features that are not currently available in any sim, or in any future sims, we hope. I have been asked why we are modelling planes that didn't play any role in the war. This is a limited view. Each plane played some role and each plane that we model is an important part of history and gameplay for single play. It is also important for users that like to make missions around episodes in the war that we or others have never covered in a flight sim. This will make Storm of War unique compared to all other Battle of Britain sims. If you look a few years back, you will see that the original IL2 was really the same concept.
In this context, think of what it would be like to fly a military autogyro in 1940 to tune RDF, or try to escape attack by Me109s? I guarantee you for many people it will be interesting to experience things that were never experienced before. Only when you pay attention to such 'out of the box' details, is the product interesting for everyone.
The BoB basic engine will be used for the series of sims and this development is based on our experience with Il-2 on the market. We put into IL2 many features, that we will use even later, after BoB, but which are not yet in BoB. It's normal if you want a long life for your kid.
In short, we are trying to make a Battle of Britain that is unlike all the previous Battle of Britain sims.
The Storm of War expansion concept
We are trying to make not a single game, but a series of expansions, like we did with Pacific Fighters in the past. Either stand alone, or merged with the previous release, beginning from Battle of Britain. Personally I plan to expand beyond WWII and finally to model the Russian front at a new level.
After BoB we plan to make an area never yet modelled and it should be on the market a year or so after BoB.
But our first target after the release of BoB is to release end user tools that will allow them to incorporate new planes, ground vehicles, ships etc in the sim. We would like to create an industry around it, like it is around MS FS. This is a strong point of MS FS in the market. However we understand the problems of this approach and we are doing it with the target of not allowing any cheating online.
I think that MG will move forward with WWII, and we also will move forward to the jet era. This is one of variants in future. Another is WWI. But we at MG will stay long enough with WWII. At least I hope so.
There is a Korea sim in development. Probably it will not be possible to merge Korea with BoB, but within the limits of online play it should be possible to move aircraft from one to the other. But the main programmer hasn't confirmed that for me, and I should also check it with the marketing guys…I think you know what I mean.
Why is SoW taking longer than originally planned?
As we incorporated more complex coding, more complex AI features, more precision in the flight models compared to the real planes, we needed more time on development. If you want a new jump in technologies, visuals, damage, flight models, common physics united in one product that will be acceptable for many years ahead (like we did with the release of IL2) we need more time.
In real time the full development from initial to final code of IL-2 was 7+ years. And then 5 years success on the market. To repeat this is very hard, and it is even harder to 'jump over our own heads'.
I'm a guy who dislikes creating something good and then see it overtaken by something better from someone else. I want to stay ahead.(*sigh* I think we wont be seeing SoW this year then... Buddye and Co. are constantly bettering BoB2. Especially the AI, which was superior to IL2 even as stock, now it is being redone and tons of new tactics will be added)
We are not busy with the Birds of Prey project. It is a third party project, under control of 1C. We just gave them full source code and did the neccessary consulting. It looks good, but not like the BoB engine. The BoB engine it is not a modification of Il-2 engine, which BoP is.
Also I have tested periodically BoP and would like to say that the contol of aircraft there and FM is better than in other arcade sim-games, and controlling aircraft is more easy than in arcade sims... because the guys are keeping some of the original physics from Il-2.
SoW online
In BoB initial release, you will have controllable stationary AA guns. You can use them online or even in single play if you want to create such a mission. This is the first step in the realisation of our plans for online gameplay. You can imagine what you could do with this feature if you were a creative third party developer. We will have tools that allow you to 'program' in simple ways, ground objects such as AA guns and aircraft. But not in a way that will kill online play, we will ensure there is some sort of protection.
We don’t plan to copy WWII Online. But if we decided to create an online only game, then we could use the BoB engine.
Old 06-25-08, 07:54 AM   #119
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Nope a must have missed that one as well. Thx for sharing Dowly

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-08, 09:40 AM   #120
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Cant wait for that baby to come out.
good to hear some of the features and their goal.

also the fact they dont follow the mainstream stuff like the other BoB games but more take it to the sidestep of the BoB Airbattle, planes you barely saw and stuff...great news.

from my part they take the time they want, I'm still enjoying IL2 for the moment and perhaps the time given can give me some extra money saving to upgrade my rig when needed.

HunterICX