SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-06-06, 05:53 PM   #1
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default READ FIRST! DW - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Updated and rewritten version of the original DW FAQ posted by TeddyBär and written by enigma6584 (at the SimHQ - DW Forums).
  • Table of Contents
  1. General Information
  2. Where can I find a demo of the game?
  3. So what is so special about this game? What features does in include?
  4. Where can I go for technical support?
  5. Where can I go to get the latest patches for the game??
  6. Where can I go to get more missions for the game?
  7. I've downloaded the game from STEAM, how can I use the Voice Command function in the game?
  8. Is there a community for Dangerous Waters and where can I find other players?
  9. What settings (i.e. ports, etc.) do I need to play online?
  10. Where can I go on the Internet to get some good background information on modern naval warfare?
  11. SubCommand had 3 drivable submarines. What can I play in Dangerous Waters?
  12. I can not play my favourite platform (Ticonderoga, Nimitz, Udaly, Sovremny ...) in the game! Help!!
  13. Why can't Modders make playables like they did for Sub Command with SCU?
  14. I loved Fleet Command, is Dangerous Waters something similar?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • General Information
Where Can I purchase Dangerous Waters?

Dangerous Waters is available both Online and in Stores.
NOTE: I will try to keep this list updated as retailers are added.

Currently available at: (on-line and in-store where applicable)There is an up-to-date thread with this information at the SCS Forums here

What are the differences between the various versions of DW?

On the Strategy First(SFC) Website you can buy two different versions online. A boxed version that will be shipped to you and you can download the game directly to your PC.

The boxed version includes the full game on 2 CDs, a printed 12 page Installation and Quick Start Guide, and the full 570 page game manual as printable PDF files on CD.

Both games are the same, only difference is along with the boxed version you get a nice box for your game (and of course the original CDs). If you download it you have to burn those CDs yourself (as Backup).
Neither one comes with the printed 570page manual. That is available through Strategy First only and you have to buy it separately. But it is well worth the price.

Dangerous Waters was originally distributed by BattleFront.com (BFC). Are there any differences to my version from SF?

The game version distributed by BFC was Dangerous Waters 1.0. The version from SF is Dangerous Waters 1.02. If you want to play online you need to patch your game to the latest version (currently 1.03Beta) to be able to play with other players.
Aside from that and the nice box, both games are the same.

What are the system requirements for the game?
  • Minimum Specifications
- Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
- 550Mhz processor
- 128 MB RAM
- Eight-speed CD-ROM drive
- Direct 3D compliant Video Card with 32MB RAM, (with DirectX 9.0b compatible drivers)
- Sound Card with DirectX 9.0b compatible drivers
- Desktop Resolution of 800x600 @ 16-bit color depth
- 590MB hard-drive space for installation
- Internet or LAN connection required for multiplayer
  • Recommended System (upgrades from minimum specs)
- 1GHz+ processor
- 256 MB RAM
- Direct 3D compliant Video Card with 64MB RAM, (with DirectX 9.0b compatible drivers)
- 1GB hard-drive space for installation

Can you tell me again; who are the two companies involved in the creation and distribution of Dangerous Waters?
  • Sonalysts Combat Simulations : This is the company which actually designed, programmed and developed the game. They have an interesting history of being involved with the U.S. submarine community and industry. For more information, you can check out the About Us and Sonalysts Home sections at the following website. Sonalysts Combat Simulations is located here at.
  • Strategy First : This is the main publisher for Dangerous Waters, find out more about Dangerous Waters and Strategy First at the Official SF Dangerous Waters homepage here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Where can I find a demo of the game?
You can find a Single/Multiplayer demo at the Sonalysts Combat Sims Website at this link : http://www.scs-dangerouswaters.com/demo.html or get it from Strategy First Website here.

• So what is so special about this game? What features does in include?
If you are interested in modern naval warfare, then this simulation is definitely for you. The simulation allows one to take total control over multiple air, surface, and submarine platforms in a modern-day naval environment! The game allows you to focus your attention and to take direct control of individual crew stations and also plan and execute combined arms naval strategies from a top-down 'Commanders Eye' perspective. You just don't get to control one vehicle but actually have the choice of several. The game allows you the choice of controlling over 10 of the world's most potent naval units. You control these units in an environment of more than 270 civilian and military surface, submarine and air units included in the game.

Want more detailed information? Go here for a full description of the features list. http://www.scs-dangerouswaters.com/features.html

• Where can I go for technical support?
Sonalysts Combat Simulations hosts now their own Support Forum for their games (688i H/K, Sub Command, Fleet Command & Dangerous Waters). Find it here : http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/phpBB/index.php

If you have technical problems and you are about to post on the SCS Tech Support Forum or want to write an email directly Sonalysts supportATsonalystscombatsimsDOTcom please include the following information (this was taken from an earlier post made by Jamie) :
  • Operating System: (i.e. Win98/98SE, WinME, Win2000, WinXP SP1/SP2, WinXPMCE)
  • Video Card (or on-board video):
  • Video Card (Driver Version): (HINT: Run "dxdiag" from a command prompt as a common location to get all driver versions)
  • Game Resolution you are playing at: (800x600, 1024x768, etc.)
  • Sound Card (or on-board audio): (i.e. Sound Blaster, Turtle Beach, nVidia nForce on-board audio, etc.)
  • Sound Card (Driver Version): (HINT: Run "dxdiag" from a command prompt as a common location to get all driver versions)
  • CPU:
  • Memory Size:
  • Game options enabled (CPU intensive):
    ( ) Enable Wind
    ( ) Enable Currents
    ( ) Enable Waveriding
  • Comments: Please explain game performance issues you are experiencing, when you are experiencing them, and steps to reproduce them (crashes especially).
GENERALLY :
If you can be as specific as possible with when the game crashes or steps to reproduce this behavior SCS would be really appreciative.
Most helpful is the inclusion of the Offset from the Crash Report PopUp. It looks like this (You have to click on Details at the initial window) :

and the important part that we would like to post here if possible is something like this :

AppName: dangerouswaters.exe AppVer: 0.1.0.0 ModName: pilot.dll ModVer: 0.1.0.0 Offset: 0000709d

************************************************** ******************************

EXAMPLE OF A TECH SUPPORT POST

Operating System:
WinXP SP1
Video Card (or on-board video):
nVidia GeForceFX 5500 OC 256
Video Card (Driver Version):
6.14.0100.6693 (nVidia's Forceware Drivers)
Game Resolution you are playing at:
800x600 (windowed)
Sound Card:
nVidia nForce Audio (on-board)
Sound Card (Driver Version):
CPU:
AMD Athlon 2.00ghz
Memory Size:
512MB

Game options enabled (CPU intensive):
( ) Enable Wind
( ) Enable Currents
(x) Enable Waveriding

Comments: N/A

************************************************** ******************************

Some Notes on Technical issues (taken partly from the game ReadMe):

1) Anti-aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering
It is recommended that Anti-aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering be DISABLED or set to APPLICATION CONTROLLED from your video card's settings page. When these settings are enabled outside the game, visual anomalies may occur.

In general, if you find a visual problem in the game, make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your video card. The NVidia and ATI download sites are listed below.

NVidia:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

ATI:
http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

2) Hardware Cursor
A hardware accelerated cursor has been included as the default rendering of the cursor assuming that your video hardware supports it (this functionality is detected when the game starts for the first time). If you are having graphical difficulties and the game tends to "lock up" after having exited a mission in the Debrief screen, you may disable the hardware cursor in the "dangerouswaters.ini" file:

[Graphics]
.SoftwareCursor Yes

3) Slowdown - Please don't comment on the the mouse update rate when running at upper "time accelerations". As many of the BETA testers have commented on, DW is centrally a CPU intensive simulation and time acceleration will be extremely taxing on any system. There are MANY components that have been added or improved on since SC (addition of Wind, Currents, and a Physics overhaul - Wave riding, Maneuverability, etc.) but those improvements can have a significant impact on performance when enabled. However, if you are experiencing sub-par performance when running at 1x time acceleration (with limited Game options enabled) then that is something SCS would like to investigate and correct if possible.

4) Graphics options - If you are experiencing some slowdown when the 3D window is enabled in NAV (vs. when it is minimized) then you should try disabling the following features and see if your performance improves (in the following order):
- Shadows
- 3D clouds
- Water Quality
- Reflection Quality
- Change to Plain shaded water (from Pixel shaded water)

5) Screen Flicker : With the patch 1.03 this should be a thing of the past. If you still experience general Screen Flicker then try running the game in Window mode or use the program EndItAll (can be found at the CADC) to end background programs that might try to steal the game screens focus.

6) Unexplainable crashes : If you have a Pentium PC with HT (Hyperthreading Technology) or any other dual core CPU and you experience crashes and problems, try to disable the 2nd CPU. Even tho it should be fixed by now, it seems that some single systems still experience problems with that. And of course if you get an error message post it in the Tech Support Forum.
Possible Solution might lie within the following links :
- English : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256/EN-US/
- German : http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256#kb2

- For AMD Dual Core Processors you should check this link : AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP

Please provide your input for the following tests below so we can attempt to profile the game in a manner that will further pinpoint the problem...

===========================
1) FULL SCREEN vs. WINDOWED
Action -- Run the game in windowed mode...
NOTE: Your desktop must be set to 16-bit color in order to run in a window

Quote:
ii. Open dangerouswaters.ini in NotePad (or your preferred text editor).

iii. Scroll down a little ways and change:

[Graphics]
.RunInWindow No
to...
.RunInWindow Yes
1) Does the game's performance improve when run in windowed mode? (Yes/No)

2) Does the game still crash when run in windowed mode? (Yes/No)

Please provide any additional comments that you feel will assist us:

2) TURN OFF "Hardware Cursor" SUPPORT

Quote:
ii. Open dangerouswaters.ini in NotePad (or your preferred text editor).

iii. Scroll down a little ways and change:

[Graphics]
.SoftwareCursor No
to...
.SoftwareCursor Yes
3) DISABLE SOUND
Action -- Run the game with "-nosound" command line parameter or "uncheck" all the sound layers in Options->Sound.

1) Does the game performance improve when -nosound is used? (Yes/No)

2) Does the game still crash when run without sound? (Yes/No)

4) ENABLE VSYNC
Action -- Run the game with "-wantVSync" command line parameter.

NOTE: This will force the game to wait until the next available vertical refresh before displaying the new back buffer on the video card. You shouldl notice that your frame rate in the options/3D will be the same as your monitor's refresh rate for the resolution chosen in game (60hz, 75hz, 85hz, etc) assuming you can achieve that framerate.

NOTE #2: You may then want to set the refresh rate for the display for the given resolution via the display properties/settings/advanced menu off the desktop. This option will only apply when the game is fullscreen. Some video cards let you force full screen apps to sync to the refresh rate via their control panel options (nVidia/ATI) thus overriding any in-game settings, so if available, you can try from there as well.

1) Does the game performance improve when -wantVSync is used? (Yes/No)

2) Does the game still crash when -wantVSync is used? (Yes/No)

5) PAUSING the NAVALSIMENGINE
Action -- PAUSE the game (NavalSimEngine will be paused) and see if the frame rate improves.

NOTE: This not only pauses the SIM, but pauses all auto-crew functionality, game timers, CPU intensive 3D updates, and many of the tasks in the game's main loop. When paused, if you have the 3D view shown in the NAV map station, the performance should be similar to that shown in Options->3D. Please denote below if it is not.

1) Does the performance match that which is shown in 3D->Options (your best estimate) when the game is PAUSED? (Yes/No)

• Where can I go to get the latest patches for the game?
For the latest patch, go directly to the SCS Download page and do not pass GO. Make sure to pick the right patch. If you bought the game from Strategy First, your game is already patched to 1.02 - so do NOT download and install 1.01 or the Hotfix. Both are included in your installation already.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Where can I go to get more missions for the game?
  • I've downloaded the game from STEAM, how can I use the Voice Command function in the game?
To keep the GCF filesize down for distribution over STEAM, S.C.S. decided to NOT include the Microsoft Speech SDK.

However you can easily download it at this link : DOWNLOAD -- Microsoft Speech SDK v5.1. And don't worry, this is the same as originally shipped with the game.

• Is there a community for Dangerous Waters and where can I find other players?
In buying Dangerous Waters you not only got a game, but made the first step into a community of Bubbleheads (Submarines Players), Skimmers (Surface Vessels) and Airedales (Airborne Plattforms). The following list will point you to some of the pages dealing with Dangerous Waters.

Community & HelpYou might want to decide to play with a regular group of people or want to gain rank and things like that just like in the real Navy. At that time you will be looking for one of the Virtual Fleets or Squadrons. Below are listed the ones that are both longstanding and Multigame (that means not only Dangerous Waters but for example Sub Command or Jane's F/A-18 as well) communities.

Virtual Fleets & LeaguesYou are not so hot on joining a Virtual Navy? Well Dangerous Waters comes shipped with GameSpy support.
If you don't have the actual Arcade Software you can get it here. Just click on the "Ad supported" button (unless you want to subscribe to GameSpy).

• What settings (i.e. ports, etc.) do I need to play online?
You can find a ReadMe in the Dangerous Waters installation folder which covers Multiplayer issues, however for convenience here are the highlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadMe - Multiplayer
C. Multiplayer

1) The IP address shown in the Gameroom for the Host in Multiplayer is the local IP
address and may not be the IP address needed by other players to join your hosted
game. One method to determine the IP address for your computer with respect to
the rest of the Internet is to browse the website: http://www.myipaddress.com/
That website will display the IP address clients will need to use in order to join a
Multiplayer game. Also, if you have a firewall installed and active it may not allow you to
connect in a Multiplayer game.

2) SCS-DW uses DirectPlay 9.0c for its Multiplayer connectivity. In order to
connect to other players in a Multiplayer game, it may be necessary to open
ports in the range 2302-2400 in your firewall and/or router for TCP and UDP packets.

3) SCS-DW attempts to determine which network adapter your computer is using
when connecting in Multiplayer games. Sometimes this default selection is
incorrect and can prevent connections to/from other players in Multiplayer games.
In order to determine if this default selection is causing problems, first start
SCS-DW and "Host" a game. At the Gameroom screen, the adapter that was chosen
by SCS-DW will be displayed in the chat window. It is suggested that you write
this down. It may look similar to the following:

"Local Area Connection - IPv4 - 192.1.168.69"

Then using Windows Explorer, browse to the directory where SCS-DW was installed
(DEFAULT: C:\Program Files\Sonalysts Combat Simulations\Dangerous Waters)
and open the file "adapters.txt".

The following is an example "adapters.txt" file:

This file contains all adapters found on this system:
Local Area Connection - IPv4 - 192.1.168.69

The adapter that SCS-DW will pick is the "Local Area Connection" adapter, but in
some case there can be two adapters on a given system:

This file contains all adapters found on this system:
Broadcom Ethernet Adapter - 68.132.123.45
Local Area Connection - IPv4 - 192.1.168.69

In order to force SCS-DW to pick the "Broadcom Ethernet Adapter" you need to edit the
file "dangerouswaters.ini" as follows:

Scroll down inside the "dangerouswaters.ini" file to find the keyword
.AdapterName "IPv4".

In the example "adapters.txt" file above, the .AdapterName keyword
would need to be changed to
.AdapterName "Broadcom Ethernet Adapter".

After making the change, save the "dangerouswaters.ini" file. Next time
Dangerous Waters is run it will use the adapter that you specified.

It is recommended that the numerical address portion of an adapter be left out of
the .AdapterName. This will allow SCS-DW to still connect successfully if
your ISP changes the IP address being used. (This is common with cable/DSL Internet
connections.)
  • Where can I go on the Internet to get some good background information on modern naval warfare?
There are numerous sites located out on the Internet; both official and unofficial which provide the naval warfare simulation enthusiast with a good amount of background information regarding the equipment, tactics and history of what is today considered modern naval warfare. Some are more credible than others. Here are a few we find to be very useful.
  1. Undersea Warfare Magazine - The official magazine of the United States Chief of Naval Operations-Undersea Warfare Division.
  2. United States Navy's Undersea Warfare Division - Official site of the United States Navy's Chief of Naval Operations Undersea Warfare Division.
  3. Submarines, Secrets and Spies - PBS NOVA special on the history and use of submarines in the cold war. This is the online content in support of the actual program which aired initially some time ago. It was a very informative program with some interesting tidbits released for public consumption. The support literature online at the PBS site is pretty good for some background material, particularly the resource section.
  4. Fast Attacks and Boomers (Submarines in the Cold War) - The United States Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History has a site dedicated to submarines and submarine warfare. This is an incredibly detailed site regarding undersea warfare. Check out the poster available for purchase as well. Very much worth a visit.
  5. Naval-Technology.com - Interesting site regarding the naval defense industries from around the world. The site has international coverage of submarines, aircraft carriers, amphibious ships, destroyers, frigates, MCMVs, corvettes, auxiliaries and naval aircraft programs from around the world.
  6. Haze Gray & Underway World Navies Website - This is a portal of websites which includes a database of navies from around the world. The site has over 14,000 files and over 3,000 images dedicated to naval warfare and history.
  7. GlobasSecurity.org (U.S. Naval Warfare Section) and GlobalSecurity.org (The Rest of the World Navies Section) - Good starting point for information regarding naval warfare issues and equipment. These particular sections of the site focus on and are dedicated to military systems and equipment of the United States Navy. The Rest of the World Navies Section is focused on links to information pertaining to the rest of the world's navies.
  8. Federation of American Scientists - Good site for information on the U.S. Military
  • I can not play my favourite platform (Ticonderoga, Nimitz, Udaly, Sovremny ...) in the game! Help!!
It might be hard to comprehend, but money for game development is finite, hence SCS made a descision which platforms should be playable and which not. Since this game is by all means a Tactical Antisubmarine Warfare Simulator they choose to simulate platforms which main job is to hunt submarines.

If SCS decides to make an Expansion to the game, they will surely include more playable platforms - however don't expect them to shell out tons of them. The most likely approach to this will be the addition of platforms from nations to credibly oppose the current playable platforms to allow an even better Multiplayer experience.

So the most likely platforms to be included in a future Expansion will again deal with ASW. And NO I don't think SCS will make a playable Carrier, or something to that extend. If DW however sells really well, SCS might decide to expand the scope of the game to include AAW and ASuW which would prompt the inclusion of a Ticonderoga or similar.

• Why can't Modders make playables like they did for Sub Command with SCU?
Back in the days of Sub Command some enterprising modders created an utility to switch the skins/models for the playable platforms and thus allowing players to "drive" different types of submarines.

While SCS tolerated it at that time, they have stated (pretty clearly) that they explicitly reserve the right to create playable models for themselves and messing around with DLLs, EXE files and so on (which would be necessary to create a SCU like utility for DW) is a big NO NO!

However modders are free to and actually encouraged to create improved textures, modells and so on for the game to visually, and audible enhance it. So while you might see all of the platforms from the real world in Dangerous Waters at a future date, you will only drive those SCS makes.

• SubCommand had 3 drivable submarines. What can I play in Dangerous Waters?
Dangerous Waters gives you command of the following platforms :
  • Oliver Hazard Perry Guided Missile Frigate, a dedicated ASW platform.
  • MH-60R LAMPS Helicopter which can be based on a FFG.
  • P-3C Orion Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
  • KILO Class Conventionally driven submarine
  • Los Angeles Class Nuclear powered Attack submarine
  • Seawolf Class Nuclear powered Attack submarine
  • Akula Class (I, I Improved and II) Nuclear powered Attack submarine
  • I loved Fleet Command, is Dangerous Waters something similar?
Nope. Dangerous Waters is a Tactical Antisubmarine Warfare Simulator - that means you can play various platforms which main job is to hunt submarines (exception being the Kilo Class submarine - thats an ASuW platform).

So you are in command of one platform and can't switch between multiple platforms within a single mission (but you can play all of the platforms of course). No jumping from the Command of a FFG to the Pilot seat of a Helicopter or so.

If you are able to do this in the real world, please contact your next available Navy recruiter - you have a tremendous career ahead of you.

Bottom line you can command your platform and thats it. But if there are friendly Units in the mission with you (for example another FFG) you can promote your hostile contacts and the AI Units will help you.

What to do - CTD (Sonalysts reply - need memory offset)

__________________________________________________ ___________________

To be continued ...

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 01-12-11 at 10:51 AM.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 10:20 AM   #2
OneShot
Grey Wolf

The main FAQ is now located at the Dangerous Waters Wiki here

Look there for updates and additions.

Cheers
OS
Old 10-17-08, 04:14 PM   #3
TitaniumRR
Mate

Downloads: 17

Is there a keyboard command quick reference somewhere for this game?
Old 10-18-08, 02:50 AM   #4
OneShot
Grey Wolf

I've seen one floating around but that one basically was a screenshot of the options menu. To my knowledge there is no "real" keyboard shortcut list around (but than I've been known to get things wrong).
Old 10-24-08, 02:27 AM   #5
TitaniumRR
Mate

Downloads: 17

Thank you. I have solved it.

Another one:

Is there a basic operation tutorial video available somewhere on the web?
Old 10-24-08, 03:36 AM   #6
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Check out www.subguru.com for some video tutorials. Additionally there are quite comprehensive written manuals/tutorials available on the net. Check out the DW Wiki and the CADC Forums for more details at www.commanders-academy.com
Old 08-18-12, 04:49 PM   #7
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Sorry to necro such an old thread, but didn't think this warranted a post of its own. Might help some new players out though!

Cavitation explained, with video:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/vi...ip-world-video
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-12, 06:24 PM   #8
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

Just in case anyone's watching, the download sites for the demos seem to be offline, any leads on where I can get the demo?

edit: found it in the gamershell.com downloads!
Old 09-30-14, 07:03 PM   #9
SpyderTattoo
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Windows Vista

I haven't seen anything in any of the Sticky's regarding Windows Vista. I'm running Vista (32) and I want to know if I'm ok for running DW. I don't have DW yet but will purchase on Steam if I am sure it will run on Vista.
SpyderTattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 06:05 PM   #10
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
I haven't seen anything in any of the Sticky's regarding Windows Vista. I'm running Vista (32) and I want to know if I'm ok for running DW. I don't have DW yet but will purchase on Steam if I am sure it will run on Vista.
I just installed it on a spare Dell Inspiron 1525 running Windows Vista 32 Bit Service Pack 2 fully patched. It runs without any problems for me other than performance issues from running the game on a weak rig. I would strongly recommend purchasing the game from someone other than Steam. The engine that Sonalysts' games use hates running with Steam in the background. Amazon sells digital copies of the sim without having to worry about Steam memory hogging in the background and you also avoid Steam related headaches if you want to install a mod.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 07:01 PM   #11
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I've had Windows Vista (x86) for about a year in 2009. But I cannot be sure I had DW installed in it. I did find some folders with a creation timestamp around that timeframe among my backups. But it may have been created in a Win 7 OS instead.

Generally speaking in my experience, any user software that works in Windows 7 also worked in Windows vista. In both OSes (well any since and including Vista) I would suggest to try to keep the game installed outside of the Program Files Folder. If you ever intend to mod it. As Windows tries to prevent modification and creation of files in any folders in there. And for DW that means you'll experience UAC warnings (or silent denials) trying to make save games and mission creations with the mission editor. As they reside in the Scenario folder. Or those changes temporarily succeeding but not sticking after a reboot.

You mention you want to buy it with Steam. Steam by default installs into the Program Files folder. So that may be the beginning of a problem there. But the following procedure might be a workaround, by explicitly allowing modifying in the security permissions to the game folder and all it's files in it. Note, this video is intended for Silent Hunter (3) and is no guaranteed solution for this game. I personally have the disk version of DW, so did not have to try this and therefore no personal experience in this. And for the other games I got via Steam, I pre-emptively installed Steam not to be inside the Program Files folder. If you have not yet installed Steam itself I suggest you also provide an alternate path for it when you can.

[EDIT]What Hinrich said! DW doesn't like things running in the background. Also I just remembered, it prefers to run on a single CPU. You may have to specifiy affinity to a single CPU core in Task Manager, instead of the Windows default of execution shared on all.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 07:29 PM   #12
SpyderTattoo
Nub

Downloads: 0

Solid copy. I am glad to hear that it isn't recomended to buy from Steam. I have no problem picking it up from Amazon. I'm glad there don't seem to be problems running it on a Vista system.
Thanks for the reply's everyone. Is it recommended that I buy the download version or the hard copy version? I'm thinking about the hard copy for about $12.00. I can wait for a couple days to get it. Gives me more time to watch more videos on youtube about DW...

OK, just ordered the hardcopy from Amazon. Should be playing by Tuesday night.

Last edited by SpyderTattoo; 10-01-14 at 07:40 PM. Reason: ETA
SpyderTattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 07:42 PM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I'd rather have a disk version that I can install whenever I choose. Even Amazon can go bankrupt one day, or decide to nerf the download service.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 08:19 PM   #14
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I'd rather have a disk version that I can install whenever I choose. Even Amazon can go bankrupt one day, or decide to nerf the download service.
The Naval Combat Pack I bought from them has no DRM attached and I always archive my installers. I imagine that Dangerous Waters is the same.

I am not that worried about Amazon, as opposed to Direct2Drive/Gamefly, who just sold their Digital PC interests to yet another company.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 04:33 PM   #15
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13

When you buy a game on Steam, all you have to do is launch steam and backup your games.

This creates a folder named something like Disk_01 etc in the steam directory or wherever you choose to back it up.

Those backups are the entire game! Burn it to a disk or wherever or you can even back them up from Steam to a cd.
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote