SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-20, 09:29 AM   #1
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260
Uploads: 0
Default How do you edit the flags?

I am looking at trying to edit a flag on a ship, I found the flags and made my own and replaced it using the same size and format but it didn't show.
Is there another place for them in the sim or show me how to do it please?

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 11:24 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

TMO is different from the Stock game, which is different from FotRSU etc., but for the most part, if you are talking about replacing an existing nation's flag with one of your own, that would be in the "Embedded image" node of a given nation's flag's "texture" file, such as "2:American.tga" found in the "Data / Library / Flag.dat" file in FotRSU (as an example). Export the existing file first, prior to Importing your new one, else if there is a problem with it, you have a way to go back to what you had. It is best if you make yourself a mini mod, such as "MyFlag", with "Data / Library / Flag.dat" below the named folder (again, using FotRSU as the example), which of course makes it easier to recover from a mistake. Notice also the orientation of the existing flag, in that some mods the flag is upside-down to correspond with the node on the ship and / or sub "flag" node. You also want to be sure of which flag is being used by the equipment you are wanting to change. Some mods have that in the eqp file in the Sea folder for the ship.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 12:16 PM   #3
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Thanks Pro,
Yes I nearly always do a backup, got used to doing that with flightsim.

Yes I also notice some flags flutter on the ship which I couldn't find in any of the files, they must be there somewhere, I'll look further in to your help post above.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Old 05-03-20, 12:46 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That also depends upon the mod, as to where the animation is stored. Generally, it is in the 3D model for the flag itself, below the texture files, and has to be Exported before the "frames" can been "seen". Notice that in SH4, the "controller" is below the object that is controlled... which is about how the whole game is "built" - upside down and backwards ... There are more than one "flag" file in some mods. Another little "weird" aspect is it almost doesn't matter where something is stored in the game, whether neatly tucked away in specific files in specific folders, or a hodge-podge of bits and pieces scattered about the folder structure. So be sure you are noodling with the correct "part" so that you get what you want.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 02:05 PM   #5
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Thanks again my friend, yes for what its worth I don't think I'll bother, I'm used to tweaking in Flight Sim usually when you alter something it stays withing that folder (usually lol).

Col.

Silent and Violent