SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-08, 08:03 AM   #1
PL_husarz111
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Ohio

Can I play Ohio submarine in Dangerous Waters? Is available any mod with ohio class submarine?
PL_husarz111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 08:45 AM   #2
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Answers :

1.) No

2.) No (at least not a legal one, dont know if there is one - illegal - out where you can)
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 04:42 AM   #3
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

you be better off buying sub command and getting clive bradburys playable ohio.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 06:17 AM   #4
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_husarz111
Can I play Ohio submarine in Dangerous Waters? Is available any mod with ohio class submarine?

There are many mods out there, some legal, some illegal (depending on who you ask) but there are none that give you a controllable ohio.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 08:32 AM   #5
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
There are many mods out there, some legal, some illegal (depending on who you ask) but there are none that give you a controllable ohio.
Thats not a question of whom you asking. SCS has often and quite clearly stated the guidelines for approved modifications to Dangerous Waters. And the inclusion of a new playable platform in a mod is a definite NO-GO. There was and still is no doubt about it. However certain individuals have choosen to ignore that fact and since they all appear to live outside the reach of the US Legal system they have so far gone unpunished (well at least as far as I know).

I hope that point is clear, otherwise I defer to ML our resident legal beagle who surely can put that (the illegality of certain mods) in more formal terms than I am able to.

Back on topic now ...
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 01:01 PM   #6
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

You don't need a law degree to understand the EULA.
Old 08-28-08, 01:19 PM   #7
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
You don't need a law degree to understand the EULA.
But the EULA is not exactly clear either.
For instance some mods actually swap out a controlable unit that is already present in dw for another one that is completly different. You're not increasing the number of playable units, and you're not actually modifying the dll's (because the weapon loadout is the same as that of the original swaped unit). So this kind of mod is ok.
Other mods do different things that are not ok so they are considered illegal. If thats the point then I've always wondered why SCS, or the publishers (european, asian etc...) have never taken action against those guys. :hmm:
To close the discussion, what SCS says and what the EULA states are 2 different things. SCS doesn't want new playables, so according to them the first kind of mod would be illegal even though it is not violating in any way the game EULA.
Just something to think about.
Old 08-28-08, 02:59 PM   #8
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS EULA
This License does not provide you with title to or ownership of the software program "Sonalysts Combat Simulations - Dangerous Waters", (the "Software") but only a right of limited use of the Software, and ownership of the media on which a copy of the Software is reproduced. The Software, including its source code, is, and shall remain, the property of Sonalysts, Inc.
Is that clear enough? The software is their property. You can't tamper with it without their permission. They've given permission for DB and doctrine mods. They have expressly forbidden tampering with the .exe and .dll's, maybe other parts as well. A new playable class can't be made by changing things in the DB.
Old 08-28-08, 03:15 PM   #9
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
This License does not provide you with title to or ownership of the software program "Sonalysts Combat Simulations - Dangerous Waters", (the "Software") but only a right of limited use of the Software, and ownership of the media on which a copy of the Software is reproduced. The Software, including its source code, is, and shall remain, the property of Sonalysts, Inc.
Is that clear enough? The software is their property. You can't tamper with it without their permission. They've given permission for DB and doctrine mods. They have expressly forbidden tampering with the .exe and .dll's, maybe other parts as well. A new playable class can't be made by changing things in the DB.
No, they have given permission for moddding that doesn't include modifying the exe and dlls. If you can insert new playable units within those constraints then SCS has no ground for complaining.
Old 08-28-08, 03:26 PM   #10
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
Quote:
Quote:
No, they have given permission for moddding that doesn't include modifying the exe and dlls. If you can insert new playable units within those constraints then SCS has no ground for complaining.
Yes, but like I said, it can't be done. You can't add playables without modding the verbotten files.
Old 11-12-08, 12:06 AM   #11
Raptor_341
Loader

Downloads: 35

why care? modding brings life - such a waste not to mod over a small rule. Just dont make money off it.
Old 11-12-08, 01:47 AM   #12
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

What seems to be hard for anyone to say is ... Do what you want just, don't tell anybody about it.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-08, 02:06 AM   #13
Raptor_341
Loader

The things that expand DW need to be posted, all mods. - and SCS did a great job, but without the work of people to make things like LWAMI, i wouldnt use it. I am suprised they put a "ban" on modding some things, in the end they only limit the life of the simulation.
Old 11-12-08, 04:26 AM   #14
GrayOwl
Soundman

EULA forbids any intervention in game.
I do not know where SA have permitted something to change (at inet, at newspapers ???? ).
In mine EULA such no.
Hence - even AI of model (j3d files, texture files) to change is already illegally.
From this that will be written in EULA: any of MOD - ILLEGAL.

Last edited by GrayOwl; 11-12-08 at 04:32 AM.
GrayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-08, 05:23 AM   #15
Raptor_341
Loader

>> I do see the point, but its never stopped modders before, and it shouldnt. Ill stop my rant, im sure im not the only one who feels that way. Remember, its more like "guidelines" than actual rules. But thats just me. Signing off.