Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-13, 04:51 PM   #1
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Default The Movie Thread

I love movies... I couldn't pick a favorite if I tried... There's too many good ones... However, I know everybody has that one movie you like watching no matter how many times you've seen it.

Two Questions:

What's your favorite movie?
What are you currently watching?

I don't have an answer to my first question...but I do have an answer to the second question.

I've been watching Winter's Bone for the past while. This was filmed only 4 hours away from where I live. I know people that are like this. This is surprisingly accurate as far as how we talk and how some people act. We're not all like this but there are some. The drug thing in this movie is somewhat true. There is a lot of drug use. People from Southern Missouri joke that Missouri's trademark is Meth. Florida has oranges, Idaho has potatoes, Mississippi has racism ( Sorry. Couldn't resist) and Missouri has Meth. Now the Plot is a different story.

It's a good movie anyway. Jennifer Lawrence nails the country-girl role. The acting in this movie is really good. I like it.
Old 05-30-13, 04:54 PM   #2
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

I enjoyed all of the Alien movies. Even Ressurection.
Old 05-30-13, 04:55 PM   #3
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Can't think of a favorite. Probably Crna macka, beli macor (Black cat, white cat), a Serb movie

Watched The good, the bad and the ugly today
Still whistleling the tune
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 05:01 PM   #4
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
I enjoyed all of the Alien movies. Even Ressurection.
Ressurection was a pile of do-do, hate it 100%.

My all time film goes to...ALIEN

And the last film I watched was...The Quiller Memorandum

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 05:13 PM   #5
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I've been watching Winter's Bone for the past while.
Agreed. I watched that movie without knowing anything about it and was very impressed. Lawrence was good but John Hawkes was outstanding as her meth addicted uncle. Good movie.

I like almost everything by the Coen brothers, especially No Country For Old Men and True Grit.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 05:26 PM   #6
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I do not have a single favorite but I can list the movies that I own which means that I deem them worthy of viewing more than once.
I might watch some Star Wars this weekend.

Every state has a meth problem Red.Florida's export is in fact prescription drugs it is a "pill mill" state folks drive from as far away as Kentucky.The state passed a "pill mill" law but that simply banned
a doctors office from also despising.So what they do now is get their "script" form a doc who knows that nothing is wrong with them besides being hooked on pain killers and then they send them to an of site pharmacy.Florida has had a huge spike in applications to open new pharmacies since the pill mill law was passed.I recall when this law was going to be passed because you would hear everyone talking about it half with a sense of happiness the other half with trepidation because they feared their "fix" would be harder to acquire.

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3(the directors cut makes this one much better)
Apocalypse Now
most of the original Godzilla films
Das Boot(in German)
Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
The Man with No Name Trilogy(A Fistfull of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good The Bad and The Ugly)
Star Wars(from I all the way to VI)
Run Lola Run(Lola Reent in German)
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930 version)
Mad Max
The Road Warrior(aka Mad Max II)
Come and See(in Russian subtitled)
The Dawns Here are Quiet (in Russian subtitled)
9th Company(in Russian subtitled)
Letters From Iwo Jima
City of Live and Death(Chinese subtitled)
A Clock Work Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
Most every Mel Brooks movie but Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are the best
Every Monty Python movie
Time Bandits
Raising Arizona
The Big Lewbowski

Last edited by Stealhead; 05-30-13 at 05:42 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 05:38 PM   #7
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

For the last year I've been watching old movies from the 20's to 50's.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 05:52 PM   #8
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Favorite? The list is long but off the top of my head "The Last Star Fighter" is a movie I still watch from time to time. Another is "The Hill"

What Im watching now is something I havent seen since it first came out 30 or so years ago "The Wild Geese"

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 05:54 PM   #9
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness...and...well...Abrams went there didn't he? We all hoped he wouldn't, and he did.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-13, 09:35 PM   #10
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Agreed. I watched that movie without knowing anything about it and was very impressed. Lawrence was good but John Hawkes was outstanding as her meth addicted uncle. Good movie.

I like almost everything by the Coen brothers, especially No Country For Old Men and True Grit.
I'm gonna have to get Winter's Bone on DVD. That was great.

I saw the new True Grit a while back. I didn't like it too much. I heard that the old one was amazing but I haven't gotten around to watching it. I'm not a big western person...but some of them are okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I do not have a single favorite but I can list the movies that I own which means that I deem them worthy of viewing more than once.
Same for me. I don't have a favorite. I have a bunch of movies that I love watching. If we narrowed it down to genres I could probably pick a favorite in each category.

Quote:
Every state has a meth problem Red.Florida's export is in fact prescription drugs it is a "pill mill" state folks drive from as far away as Kentucky.The state passed a "pill mill" law but that simply banned
a doctors office from also despising.So what they do now is get their "script" form a doc who knows that nothing is wrong with them besides being hooked on pain killers and then they send them to an of site pharmacy.Florida has had a huge spike in applications to open new pharmacies since the pill mill law was passed.I recall when this law was going to be passed because you would hear everyone talking about it half with a sense of happiness the other half with trepidation because they feared their "fix" would be harder to acquire.
I know. I was referring to the joke that Missouri is known for Meth... It's a common joke up here.
Old 05-30-13, 11:59 PM   #11
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

"No Country For Old Men" was good but the book was many many times better.I have read most of Cormac McCarthy's books but I saw the movie "No Country" first then got around to the book.After reading the book the movie just did not seem so good.

Coen brothers wise I really like their earlier stuff more.

That scene in Fargo where Gaear is grinding Carl with the wood chipper very funny dark humor that bit.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 12:16 AM   #12
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

I watched most of Ace Ventura: Pet Detective tonight... It was mildly amusing. I ended up just eating a bunch of cookies and drinking some hot apple cider. I got tired of watching it.
Old 05-31-13, 01:23 AM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
What's your favorite movie?
Any possible list would be longer than a page of this forum. No single favorite, or even a top 10.

Quote:
What are you currently watching?
A trip through movie history, including big screen movies and series. Alexander, Rome, Cleopatra, I Claudius, Christopher Columbus, The Shadow of The Tower, Six Wives of Henry VIII, Anne of the Thousand Days, Lady Jane, Elizabeth R, Mary, Queen of Scots, George Washington, John Adams, A More Perfect Union. Next will be Roots, then a bunch of Civil War stuff. After that, who knows?
Old 05-31-13, 01:47 AM   #14
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Two favourites that come to mind are both on a South American revolution type theme. One's a comedy, "Viva Maria" with Bridgette Bardot as the lead. I quite like the bit when she and her partner "invent" the striptease. And the rebel assault on the capital city is very well down and has a lot of funny bits. On the downside for a non French speaker is it's in French with English subtitles.

The other one is "The Adventurers", based on the Harold Robbins book of the same name. Starring in support roles Ernest Borgnine and Candice Bergen and good old Charles Aznavour. Be warned though, it's quite a grim movie in parts. I read the book on the making of it, it was filmed in Columbia in the late '60s and the battle scenes are truly epic, the local military advisers were very impressed with the director Lewis Gilbert's tactical nous. Cavalry along the beach, tanks through the city.

If you watch them I hope you enjoy them.

Last edited by Eisenwurst; 05-31-13 at 02:02 AM.
Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 01:50 AM   #15
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenwurst View Post
The other one is "The Adventurers", based on the Harold Robbins book of the same name. Starring in support roles Ernest Borgnine and Candice Bergen and good old Charles Aznavour. Be warned though, it's quite a grim movie in parts. I read the book on the making of it, it was filmed in Columbia in the late '60s and the battle scenes are truly epic, the local military advisers were very impressed with the director David Lynch's tactical nous. Cavalry along the beach, tanks through the city.

If you watch them I hope you enjoy them.
That second one there sounds pretty good.

Maybe...one of these days.

Tags
films, movie, movies