Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-19, 09:30 AM   #11416
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

So much depends on the EU now and especially Macron but we or should I say the politicians, have brought it all upon themselves.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online  
Old 10-19-19, 09:33 AM   #11417
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Well that's a rap for today and I'm off out. So have fun talking about this vote and catch you all for the big one when who knows......

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-19-19, 09:50 AM   #11418
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The link below will show any Brit how their MP voted and I'm not to happy that mine voted for Letwin despite the fact the constituency voted to leave.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50109480

Jimbuna is online  
Old 10-19-19, 10:05 AM   #11419
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Paris is angry. Elyssee Palace voices that they do not consider it to be a good idea to grant another extension. I hope they stick to it.

Reports whisper Johnson will refuse to send that letter. Will he disobey the Benn act in a bid to provoke new elections?
Old 10-19-19, 10:29 AM   #11420
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Paris is angry. Elyssee Palace voices that they do not consider it to be a good idea to grant another extension. I hope they stick to it.

Reports whisper Johnson will refuse to send that letter. Will he disobey the Benn act in a bid to provoke new elections?
I'd like to think so but he must feel like he is walking over a bed of hot coals on a tightrope.

Should an extension not be forthcoming then Parliament may well vote to revoke Article 50 and that could bring about a general election or even civil disobedience.

The latter is no good for anybody.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 10-19-19, 10:38 AM   #11421
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Let the other members of the EU see how shabby they've treated the UK ...
Ah, another myth in the making

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 10-19-19, 11:03 AM   #11422
Skybird
Soaring

The formalities.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46393399

Quote:
Cabinet ministers have said the government will obey the law, but the prime minister has said he will not ask for an extension. There has been some speculation about finding a loophole in the law or using some other device to avoid Mr Johnson himself having to ask for the extension.
For example, it's been suggested that he could request an extension but at the same time tell the EU to ignore his request.
If Mr Johnson refuses to write the letter asking for an extension then it's likely he will face a legal challenge. The Scottish Court of Session could rule as early as 21 October.
If the EU refuses to grant the UK a delay to Brexit then Parliament has until 31 October to pass a deal and the associated legislation.
The default position is still that the UK will leave the EU on 31 October at 23:00 GMT.

Even if the prime minister requests an extension there is no absolute guarantee that the other EU countries would agree.
And if MPs vote in favour of the deal, but the subsequent implementation legislation does not pass, the UK would leave without a deal on 31 October.
Leaving without a deal (or withdrawal agreement) means the UK would immediately exit the customs union and single market - arrangements designed to make trade easier.
If that is true, it is in the EU's hands now to bring this endless joke to an end. It would be high time. Very high time. The laughter had come to an end already long time ago.
Old 10-19-19, 11:25 AM   #11423
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
So much depends on the EU now and especially Macron but we or should I say the politicians, have brought it all upon themselves.
I can only repeat the above but a general election if bringing a Tory victory as current polls suggest would make it a lot easier for Boris.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 10-19-19, 11:33 AM   #11424
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Let the other members of the EU see how shabby they've treated the UK ...
Do you mean such shabby stuff as discounted membership fees and general little snowflake treatment?

The Uk joined European Economic Community (predecessor of the European Union) in 1973 and their first "Brexit vote" was in 1975 - yes, after only two years of membership! Then newly elected PM Harold Wilson wanted to silence eurosceptic wing of his Laboure Party. He decided to renegotiate membership terms with the EEC and then put his "deal" into public referendum (first of its kind in the UK AFAIK). In 2015 Tory PM David Cameron tried to repeat this stunt but failed miserably.

The point is that the UK has never been truly satisfied member and has been whining for exceptional treatment for over 40 years now. Current Brexit mess is only latest episode in very long show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Maybe they will be more kind in the future
Unlikely. The Commission's job is to protect interests of the remaining EU27 member states, not to pamper outsiders. They will be "more kind" towards the UK only if doing so allows them to get exceptionally good terms on something.
Old 10-19-19, 11:39 AM   #11425
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ Plus the £33 billion divorce settlement.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 10-19-19, 11:51 AM   #11426
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Jim mentioned a letter to EU send by the Parliament if the Prime Minister refuse to do so.

Have the English Parliament same weight and political power as the Prime Minister ?

I truly hope the British voters will give their politicians a smack on the fingers by not voting or leave a blank vote.

If your kids behave badly you mostly give them a smack on their fingers or..

Your politicians have acted badly or childish so a smack on their fingers would be the best.

Markus
Old 10-19-19, 11:57 AM   #11427
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ Better still, withdraw their expense allowances because they are claiming them through false pretences IMHO.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 10-19-19, 04:14 PM   #11428
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

The letter is on the way and a second one asking do not give us the extension.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50112924

Some possible minor good news, it could be possible Bojo could win the big vote next week.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 10-19-19 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-19-19, 04:47 PM   #11429
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

So a letter from your PM haven't the same validation if it isn't signed ?

Interesting, while the second letter is signed.

Well he did as the Parliament demanded him to do - send a letter to EU's leader, which he did, they didn't say anything, that he should signed it.

Markus
Old 10-19-19, 05:01 PM   #11430
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
^ Better still, withdraw their expense allowances because they are claiming them through false pretences IMHO.
Politicians mus be held fully accountable, with all their property and earnings and future earnings, for the decisions they make and the consequences coming from these.

One would be surprised, how much less dauntig political high flying plans and gambles would be puished forward.

Instead, they can use magic. They open the book of Harry Potter, cast the "get-freed-of-charge-for nothing" spell, a magical ritual with cameras involved bans their moving image on a screen showing them saying "Sim-Sala-Bim I hereby political responsibility" - and abracadabra, they are free of any responsibility and guilt, are free and clean again and can start a new match of gamble, bribery and spelling disaster. All consequences of their deeds magically disappear into the realm of tax payers's expenses, and if se try to refuse it, then these tax payers get charged twice and held accountable for it, even get thrown into jail, because they have no Harry Potter spell book with a get-freed-of-charge-for-nothing spell. Too bad - magican one should be!

Tags
british, politics