SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-06-20, 12:44 PM   #1
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1
Default Silent Hunter 4 Opinions

I am considering buying SH4. I am wondering what the overall opinion is about the game. I have read a bunch of reviews and from what I've read it sounds like it's really bug infested. Have the mods that are available made it more playable.

Thoughts........
Macgregor the Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 01:48 PM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452
Uploads: 0

Really bug infested?...all silent hunter series are bug infested, thanks Ubisoft!

Seriously, you can play SH4 without any problem, TMO mod, FOTRSU mod, Ralles mod, THEBERBSTER mod, Dark Waters mod etc...all very playable and enjoyable!
No hesitation needed...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 02:33 PM   #3
Hazelwood
Bosun

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
I am considering buying SH4. I am wondering what the overall opinion is about the game. I have read a bunch of reviews and from what I've read it sounds like it's really bug infested. Have the mods that are available made it more playable.

Thoughts........
It's a wonderful simulation and rated by many as the best sub simulation ever. I've been playing it ever since it came out and it always seems fresh with new things discovered on almost every mission. I have the "Gold" edition which is essentially bug-free. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to buy the product anymore. I have tried Ubisoft and Amazon but no luck.

Had a lot of trouble locating SH4 "Gold Edition" with the U-Boat addition (which also includes the v1.5 patch). Amazon did not have stock despite showing it and Ubisoft was no help either. I eventually discovered the following site:

https://www.big4shared.com/

1 - You'll need a prime account which is under $6 for 7 days. The actual downloads are free. Great value even for just one package. Takes just a few seconds to set up.

I hope this site is legal as regards copyright etc. There was no way to tell. My copy works perfectly.

Regards,

Cpt. JH
Hazelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 02:50 PM   #4
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Addictive. That's how I would sum it up in one word.

On availability, it's still available on Steam, isn't it?
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 04:54 PM   #5
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to pull the trigger. It's on Steam for $9.99. This with all the mods mentioned sounds like a lot of entertainment!!

I tried the big4shared link and it keeps timing out. Is the site down?
Old 01-06-20, 08:01 PM   #6
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Really bug infested?...all silent hunter series are bug infested, thanks Ubisoft!

Seriously, you can play SH4 without any problem, TMO mod, FOTRSU mod, Ralles mod, THEBERBSTER mod, Dark Waters mod etc...all very playable and enjoyable!
No hesitation needed...

Shoving bug infested incomplete games out the door is a Ubisoft tradition until today. *cough* The Division 1 and 2 *cough*
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 02:49 AM   #7
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

For $10, would be on the short list of the best computer gaming investments I would make...

It's a great game, especially considering its age. SH4 has an active group of players adding and editing mods for an active community...

IMO a no brainer for anyone interested in WWII submarine warfare.

For the stock v1.5 game the "bugs" seem to be more an incompatibility with the users' PCs... I have been playing off and on for five or six years without a single issue that would move me to pull the plug on it...
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 07:13 AM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Be forewarned about the Steam version though... Not that it doesn't work or anything, just that when you purchase "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific" from them, you are paying for the "v1.3" copy of the game. However, you cannot add the v1.4 update to the Steam version, plus most mods are written for the v1.5 of the game. Now, FOTRS v2.x is for v1.4 and is absolutely gorgeous, though it is in German only, so you could not play that with the Steam version... Oops, sorry, I am getting distracted again...

For the Steam player to be able to play version 1.5 of the game, after paying for "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific", you then (usually) have to purchase the "Silent Hunter 4: U-Boat Missions Add-On", which brings the game up to v1.5 - Don't take my word for it though, they may have changed their policy in that regard, so check with Steam themselves. Basically, v1.3 is next to worthless. The U-Boats Add-On makes the game very playable...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 10:25 AM   #9
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Steam versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Be forewarned about the Steam version though... Not that it doesn't work or anything, just that when you purchase "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific" from them, you are paying for the "v1.3" copy of the game. However, you cannot add the v1.4 update to the Steam version, plus most mods are written for the v1.5 of the game.

For the Steam player to be able to play version 1.5 of the game, after paying for "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific", you then have to purchase the "Silent Hunter 4: U-Boat Missions Add-On", which brings the game up to v1.5 - Don't take my word for it though, they may have changed their policy in that regard, so check with Steam themselves. Basically, v1.3 is next to worthless. The U-Boats Add-On makes the game very playable...
propbeanie is absolutely correct.

I use the Steam versions. You pay $9.99 for Wolves of the Pacific which you download first. You then pay another $9.99 for the Wolves of the Pacific, U-boat Missions add-On which you download second. They will automatically go together in your computer and you'll always have both games in your Steam Library for future downloading if necessary. This is one of the few ways to get Silent Hunter IV with version 1.5 which is almost mandatory for modding.

Silent Hunter IV Gold Edition was another way to get the entire game with v1.5 but there is some debate whether it's still available or not. You might find this online but I'd be careful from whom I'd buy it from.

The entire game is worth $20 by the way. You don't have to buy them all at once on Steam. Do what I did, buy the first one to try, see if you like it. Then, buy the U-boat Mission Add-On later.

I started with Silent HUnter III in 2005 and recently put it in my Steam Library. I can re-download SH3 when I get tired of SH4.

Hope you find this helpful.
Old 01-08-20, 05:57 PM   #10
Hazelwood
Bosun

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to pull the trigger. It's on Steam for $9.99. This with all the mods mentioned sounds like a lot of entertainment!!

I tried the big4shared link and it keeps timing out. Is the site down?
Thanks for letting us know. Just tried it and also timed out. If someone is stuck I could probably make my copy available on my web site but if steam has it that's the best way to go.

Someone said "Addictive". Indeed. The enemy AI is superb and graphics still shine by today's standards.

Best wishes,

Cpt. Hazelwood
Hazelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 06:10 AM   #11
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Link for Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelwood View Post
Thanks for letting us know. Just tried it and also timed out.
Here's a link for Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/about/

or you can go to Google and search: Steam.com for additional links.
Old 01-12-20, 11:24 AM   #12
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

I went ahead and bought SH4. What a great sim! I installed FotRSU and it looks like I'll have a ton of game play. Thanks for all the great feedback!
Old 01-16-20, 01:00 PM   #13
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27

oh crap。I didn't know steam 1.3 is not upgradable。what a bummer!
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 08:25 PM   #14
Preacher55
Nub

Downloads: 15
Default Help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelwood View Post
It's a wonderful simulation and rated by many as the best sub simulation ever. I've been playing it ever since it came out and it always seems fresh with new things discovered on almost every mission. I have the "Gold" edition which is essentially bug-free. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to buy the product anymore. I have tried Ubisoft and Amazon but no luck.

Had a lot of trouble locating SH4 "Gold Edition" with the U-Boat addition (which also includes the v1.5 patch). Amazon did not have stock despite showing it and Ubisoft was no help either. I eventually discovered the following site:

https://www.big4shared.com/

1 - You'll need a prime account which is under $6 for 7 days. The actual downloads are free. Great value even for just one package. Takes just a few seconds to set up.

I hope this site is legal as regards copyright etc. There was no way to tell. My copy works perfectly.

Regards,

Cpt. JH

I bought sh4, sh4 uboat missions, sh5, and it all worked fantastic on Windows 10 for two weeks. Replaced my old spindle hard disc with 2 SSD harddrives, installed a fresh windows 10, downloaded a fresh steam sh4 & sh5 and niether are working worth a flip now.... any ideas?

Preacher55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 10:59 PM   #15
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:

Thoughts........
do not buy any version other than 1.5 Uboat missions version. it is the most compatible with the mods and mega mods.
good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote