Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-13, 09:37 PM   #1
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Default Your Ideal Doomsday Survival Situation/Prepper Thread

What are you guys' perfect survival scenario?

If the zombies come, nuclear war, whatever, etc...I want to be in a Nuclear Submarine. I would only have to dock for food. I have water and I have power. I have safety.

I am, however, allergic to seafood....that could be problematic.

Another one would be to build tunnels like the Japanese through the hill that I live on and find a way to keep the zombies/mutants/radiation/plague outside and me safely inside. This plan has more flaws but it is more realistic. I don't think they will just invite people aboard submarines when the world ends. Diesel boats require gas....Nuclear boats provide all the power they need with the only downside being that somebody in your survivor party needs to be experienced with nuclear reactors.

I've given the "How would I survive an attack of (Insert threat here) and what would I do to accomplish it?" question quite a bit of thought. When I get bored, I'll just start thinking...

Old 01-16-13, 09:41 PM   #2
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

I would probably run around with a zombie biting my neck for a bit, then try to eat you. That's my best case scenario.
Old 01-16-13, 09:47 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

My ideal scenario isn't to survive. I'd rather die right off the bat. I'm too comfortably ingrained in my life to want to live another way.
Old 01-16-13, 09:51 PM   #4
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I second that opinion I want to right under the epicenter if it is a nuke or a giant meteorite if it is a volcano I want to stand right on the edge as it goes.If it is gonna be a massive tsunami well surfs up baby I'll try to ride the wave but get squashed.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 10:48 PM   #5
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
What are you guys' perfect survival scenario?

If the zombies come, nuclear war, whatever, etc...I want to be in a Nuclear Submarine. I would only have to dock for food. I have water and I have power. I have safety.

I am, however, allergic to seafood....that could be problematic.

Another one would be to build tunnels like the Japanese through the hill that I live on and find a way to keep the zombies/mutants/radiation/plague outside and me safely inside. This plan has more flaws but it is more realistic. I don't think they will just invite people aboard submarines when the world ends. Diesel boats require gas....Nuclear boats provide all the power they need with the only downside being that somebody in your survivor party needs to be experienced with nuclear reactors.
Food isn't likely going to be your problem, rather parts. While the reactor will theoretically give you around 50 years of power, other parts of the boat are going to break or wear out; they do all the time under normal conditions. In the event of apocalyptic proportions, when society has completely broken down, people aren't going to be making those parts anymore. This will be compounded by the fact that the boat will be at sea continuously, and will not be getting the type of maintainence from base personnel between patrols. Furthermore, military installations will be among the first places picked over by survivors. Bases hold all kinds of goodies -- weapons, ammunition, supplies and mechanical parts. Unfortunately, this means that they will likely be picked clean by the time you need them.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 11:00 PM   #6
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
If it is gonna be a massive tsunami well surfs up baby I'll try to ride the wave but get squashed.
There's a great scene in the book "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven of just that situation. When the comet hit this guy was out on the bay on his surfboard and he caught a 1000ft tall tidal wave. As he rode the face he could see houses and trees disappearing beneath him but ahead was the 50 story (crs) building coming at him like a giant flyswatter.

Cool...

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-13, 11:00 PM   #7
Stealhead
Navy Seal

You would also need a crew that can actually maintain a nuclear submarine as well and even if you did these complex vessels receive months of maintenance between patrols something that would not be possible in a total collapse.Sure in a time of duress a sub can stay out for longer but the ship itself and crew would wear out in a year or so.

Hiding seems like a good idea but it is no guarantee of safety things can go wrong that force you to move like a hostile group finding your hiding spot people are going to be really looking because their survival depends on finding what is hidden.Long term survival a person or group of people would have to be nomadic.

I get a kick out of the people on these dooms day shows who have all these plans about having their little fort that they plan to defend well guess what they will get to do that only thing is sooner of later they are going to get over run and die.Better to be mobile because as I said people will be looking for permanent locations because they know that what they need is in them.

Of course not matter what you do it is going to very hard it is going to be very harsh and possibly only a very small number would survive and it might be close like that for generations.Think of your worst experience and multiply it about 1 billion then you have an inkling of how hard making it in a total collapse post apocalyptic world will be.

Last edited by Stealhead; 01-16-13 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-16-13, 11:18 PM   #8
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
My ideal scenario isn't to survive. I'd rather die right off the bat. I'm too comfortably ingrained in my life to want to live another way.
I would want to die too. Make it quick. I started this thread because i find it amusing to think about what I could/would do if i survived. There is a point where surviving is worse than death. After the apocalypse, the line has been crossed.

Thinking about different things helps pass time when you are bored. When you're sick of your iPod and when you're out of books to read on a long car/plane/train drive, just write up a doomsday plan.

EDIT: I also realize the many flaws of my submarine plan. That's why if I could support the plan with parts/supplies/maintenance/crew like you people suggested it could work. It would be my IDEAL plan. Most likely, I'd either die or fight in the woods of Southeast Missouri.
Old 01-16-13, 11:37 PM   #9
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Why not make a plan that involves an extensive spider hole/tunnel system like the Viet Kong had in Vietnam then? That would be ideal in Missouri.

That way your passing time and who knows if something does happen you could actually use it.

When I was a kid I used to take graph paper and draw up these blueprints for VC style tunnel systems it was a pretty fun way to pass time the Florida sand would make
actually digging and constructing a real tunnel system very costly though.
Old 01-16-13, 11:49 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I second that opinion I want to right under the epicenter if it is a nuke or a giant meteorite if it is a volcano I want to stand right on the edge as it goes.If it is gonna be a massive tsunami well surfs up baby I'll try to ride the wave but get squashed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
There's a great scene in the book "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven of just that situation. When the comet hit this guy was out on the bay on his surfboard and he caught a 1000ft tall tidal wave. As he rode the face he could see houses and trees disappearing beneath him but ahead was the 50 story (crs) building coming at him like a giant flyswatter.

Cool...
Dark Star.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069945/

A great little indie sci-fi spoof. At the end a guy is about to fall into the Earth's atmosphere, so he grabs a piece of space debris and surfs to his death.
Old 01-16-13, 11:55 PM   #11
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Honestly if it was something sudden I'd try to survive I recon.But if was something huge likely to kill 99% of life and the time and place was known I'd be waiting for it and just accept my fate and maybe see something interesting my last few seconds.

I think riding a tsunami would realistically be near impossible a massive one in particular they travel at high speed so what i might do is have one of those old time tubs they used to sit and bathe in(I mean the poor man kind not the fancy kind) take one of those and fill it with warm water and take a bath and have one last blast of water cleanse me.

It might be pretty righteous to watch a pyroclastic flow from a volcano come at you knowing that your about to become the dust coming at you.Some people where fairly close to Mount St. Helens when she went off back in 1980.
Old 01-17-13, 02:19 AM   #12
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I think we would all try to live if possible if that day comes, but why I'll prepare for a storm, I'm not concerned about the end of the world. I know many do prepare, but my money is better spent living than worrying about dying should nukes fly or zombies roam. History has taught us things can get bad, even wipe out most of mankind, but I imagine we'll survive as long as our planet is here.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-13, 05:00 AM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I'm thinking Mad Max scenarios, better have plenty of gas stashed away. And my first priority will be finding a prepper's compound and taking it down. Always nice to have someone do the legwork for you.
Old 01-17-13, 05:09 AM   #14
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I'm thinking Mad Max scenarios, better have plenty of gas stashed away. And my first priority will be finding a prepper's compound and taking it down. Always nice to have someone do the legwork for you.
^Aww, you beat me to it!
Old 01-17-13, 05:09 AM   #15
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Gather group of people, have some of them be devoted to farming, others devoted to defending the farmers, go from there. I've played Dwarf fortress enough to know 7 people should be enough to start with.

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival