SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-26-19, 04:03 PM   #91
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

jesus eddie you could have saved yourself from writing all that, had just taken the time to read my post just above yours.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-19, 04:05 PM   #92
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I take it the main problem starts when "justice" or let's say imprisonment is connected to making money. Much worse in the US I know. Let's just call it capitalism

Seriously, when i was in the UK for the third time (just made an international (in the EU yeah fk you brexiters) driving license I was alright in Coventry and Abingdon (lots of young guys wanting to see Europe (and free to travel and live there with no problem!)), i woke up the third day, said goodbye to our nice hosts in Coventry, entered the car and drove off on the right side of the road, in England -
I soon realized my error alright , but if not and if some cyclist woud have 'met' me...
Then the next roundabout - no traffic lights or crossroads, looked left, nothing there, and disengaged the clutch- next thing i realized my co-driver shouting and a wheel squeal at the right of me. A big tire and a giant chassis whipping of some red bus.. sheer luck.
I drove very concentrated then and it never happened again, but if
If something gruesome had happened due to a mistake i made, i would have staid and accepted the outcome.
i can't blame the woman, but it would not have been my take. I think

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-19, 06:11 PM   #93
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I read somewhere that driving is largely a subconscious activity. It is very difficult and tiring to drive with ones full attention for any distance.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-19, 08:03 PM   #94
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

catfish I think I understand what you're saying. we all have this reasonable expectation that lady justice is more than simply swift and final but also impartial and that all evidence would weighed. But unfortunetly that isnt always the case and as we have read it can quickly become political.

As much as admire your honestly and desire to do the right thing as well as expecting the same of the prosecutor. I would still strongly suggest contacting the German embassy or some other friendly counsel before you admit to do doing any wrong, especially in a foreign land.

If you just roll over you make it easy for the prosecution/government to close the case and just rubber stamp you all the way to you new cell. Everyone has a right to be represented and defended.

Last edited by Rockstar; 12-26-19 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-26-19, 08:10 PM   #95
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Just an FYI. In the U.S. slavery has been abolished. UNLESS you have been found guilty of a crime and sent to prison.

13th Amendment to our Constitution.

... neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

again, seek counsel admit nothing. because you are right, prison labor is big business here and elsewhere

Last edited by Rockstar; 12-26-19 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-11-20, 07:49 AM   #96
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51073621

The Home Office has requested the extradition of a US woman to be charged with causing the death by dangerous driving of motorcyclist Harry Dunn.

Mr Dunn, 19, died after a crash in Northamptonshire in August which led to the suspect, Anne Sacoolas, leaving for the US under diplomatic immunity.

Extradition proceedings were started in December.

The Home Office said the matter was "now a decision for the US authorities".

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 07:52 AM   #97
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

And the response.

Quote:
The United States has criticised the UK's request to extradite an American accused of killing motorcyclist Harry Dunn, calling it "highly inappropriate".

Mr Dunn, 19, died after being hit by a car allegedly driven by suspect Anne Sacoolas, who left the country for the US claiming diplomatic immunity.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-51075235

Old 01-11-20, 11:56 AM   #98
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

If you follow the saga, it is interesting to see that this is a UK story only. It is barely being reported on in the US.

As we all know, Democratic politicians and the liberal.US MSM are always looking for an anti-Trump angle. If there was mileage.to be made by criticizing the US position, you would.see it in the US coverage. The deafening silence is proof that everyone is on the same page that mrs.Sacoolas has diplomatic immunity and she should not be extradited.
Old 01-11-20, 12:29 PM   #99
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

One can have arranged all formalities so that they back oneself, and still be wrong. If you only have paragraphs on your side, and moral against you, sooner or later this leaves a foul taste and the other's mouth.

And there may be a time when you cannord afford to spit on him, but need his help. What reaosn will he have then to grant it?

The whole story and circumstances have such a rotten scent around them, that it really needs no debate. What we have here is "justice" mistaken with "power".
Old 01-12-20, 07:30 AM   #100
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I can't see her being sent back if I'm being honest but this will have some form of repercussion in the future of that I am in little doubt.

Old 01-12-20, 09:57 AM   #101
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Justrice gets defined by the stronger. Its "law of the jungle" in disguise. Same like history being written by victors.
Old 01-18-20, 11:16 AM   #102
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Footage of a vehicle on the wrong side of the road near an RAF base has prompted urgent discussions in light of the death of Harry Dunn in a separate incident nearby.

The video of the near miss near RAF Croughton emerged as police revealed details of a separate incident in which a police vehicle was struck by a car being driven on the wrong side of the road in October.

In a statement published to Twitter, Northamptonshire Police’s chief constable Nick Adderley said the force had been made aware of the incident, and also said he had been made aware of another incident in Northampton in October, in which a police vehicle had been struck by a vehicle driving on the wrong side of the road.

He wrote: “I want to be absolutely clear on the fact that these incidents just cannot keep happening. We know all too well in the case of young Harry, just how devastating they can be.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...d9QnZAkHzcZpIK
Two more incidents and both cars carrying diplomatic plates and registered as belonging to the intelligence base.

Old 01-18-20, 11:23 AM   #103
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

If it's any consolation, people drive just as badly on the right side of the road here. Tailgating at high speed in any weather, no turn signals and no headlights when required due to rain and fog etc. It seems to be getting worse over the past several years as cars get smarter than the drivers.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-20, 10:13 AM   #104
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Right, I went down to Florida for Christmas. Going through Georgia a driver in an old Ford f-150 entered Highway I-95 into a mass of oncoming traffic. Never gave it any thought if he worked for the CIA, had diplomatic immunity, if he was a foreigner getting away with something. Neither was I thinking of political ramifications or how it could affect Trump. Only thing that came to mind was as I hit the brakes hoping I didn't get rear ended was "holy sheet what the hell is this a dumbass doing?". Good thing he didn't kill anyone.

Old 05-12-20, 07:55 AM   #105
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

The suspect in the crash which killed Harry Dunn is "wanted internationally" after an Interpol notice.

"An Interpol Red Notice - a request to law enforcement worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition, surrender, or similar legal action - has now been issued.
On its website, Interpol states a red notice "is an international wanted persons notice, but it is not an arrest warrant"."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-52619998

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote