Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-19, 11:55 PM   #1
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default Hawk's Silent Hunter Realism Mod Missing Text Workaround

For those who still play Silent Hunter 1 or are wanting to get into it, Hawk's realism mod is a great addition to the game. However, there is an oddball bug that occurs on some computers. This takes the form of the text for the patch not showing up in DOSBOX. http://www.subsowespac.org was aware of this bug and listed the fix to get it to work. However, subsowespac.org is no longer available for whatever reason. As a workaround for those whose computers are affected by the bug, I have attached the following screenshot with the text listed. All one must do is press the right buttons.

Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-19, 06:24 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Hello Hinrich,
I'm still playing SH1 and also have SHReal together with any other utilities that were on the past http://www.subsowespac.org which doesn't exist anymore. Fortunately I have copied all the wonderful sections about tactical advices etc. so I can still provide these pages if necessary. They should however be found in the Internet Archives.

Although I currently don't use the SHReal mod, I'm able to run it with Defend Reloaded 1.33, a frontend for Dosbox, and I perfectly get the screenshot you are showing.
It's important to run these utilities in Dosbox at the DOS prompt, and not directly on the host OS.

I'm playing in VMWARE with Windows XP in Defend Reloaded, I set the frontend to *not* exit Dosbox after quiting SH1, and once on the DOS prompt, I can run C:\...\SILENT\shreal.exe or whatever I want without problems.

For example, for the 'New Boat' utility with which you can chose the boat you command in a war patrol, I run it from Dosbox in the DOS prompt by changing to C:\...\SILENT\SAVE , and then I run newboat.exe. Works like a charm.

BTW, in Defend Reloaded 1.33 I'm also playing AODCD and Silent Service 2 without problems. Defend Reloaded 1.33 includes Dosbox 0.74 and you can make all settings for all kind of DOS games in a comfortable menu within your host OS (in my case in Win XP under VMWare).

Cheers,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-21-19 at 06:37 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 07:11 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

On modern systems this error will happen, likely on all Windows 10 systems. The missing file is the VGASYS.FON that must be included in the SHReal package and placed in the SILENT folder. I will upload it as a fontfix in the download section.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-06-20 at 07:31 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote