SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-22, 07:30 AM   #3676
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Maybe they should bring back Bert the duck to help them sell it.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 11:32 AM   #3677
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65

"Better safe than sorry." That mayor is hilarious.

I'll pretty much guarantee him that he's going to be sorry regardless of anything if the world's power-drunk idiots start lobbing nukes at each other.

Your taxes paid for that PSA and pay the salaries of the people who did it, New York.

"Huh. That looks like a bit of radiation on my skin, probably from that swarm of one hundred megaton ICBMs that just hit the city. I'll just go inside and wash it off. Everything will be fine. Or I could just wait until that one hundred megaton Poseidon autonomous torpedo that's sitting underwater in New York harbor detonates. That should wash it off."
Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 02:30 PM   #3678
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Anyone remember “The Atomic Cafe” (1982)? If you never, your time would be well spent watching this one. Good for more than just a few moments of shock, horror, and laughs. If you thought the New York PSA was silly you ain’t seen nothing yet. lol

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 07-14-22 at 02:42 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 03:16 PM   #3679
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ was earlier, this was shown in german schools in the 197ies, and even in their teenage years pupils wondered what the hell producers of such rubbish were thinking
(the threat was existent, but methods to prevent radiation and fallout? Idiots.)

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 07-14-22 at 03:24 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 03:26 PM   #3680
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubaas View Post
Or I could just wait until that one hundred megaton Poseidon autonomous torpedo that's sitting underwater in New York harbor detonates. That should wash it off."
The strange part about the Poseidon was that everyone concentrated on "Tsunami" when they really should have looked up "Base Surge". Otherwise, the Poseidon is a bit of a joke.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 08:41 PM   #3681
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

"Lost, Not Stolen" report.
https://lostnotstolen.org//wp-conten...-July-2022.pdf

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 10:26 PM   #3682
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

On July 1st the Atlanta FED GDP Tracker pointed to negative growth which indicated we are ‘technically’ in a recession.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/01/atla...recession.html

Quote:
the Atlanta Fed’s GDPNow measure, which tracks economic data in real time and adjusts continuously, sees second-quarter output contracting by 2.1%. Coupled with the first-quarter’s decline of 1.6%, that would fit the technical definition of recession.

15 days later we got bookies taking bets on the odds of something that’s already happened. Ante up

Odds of US Recession Within Next Year Near 50%, Survey Shows

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/odds-...113500717.html

Old 07-16-22, 12:36 AM   #3683
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Thanks Brandon!
Old 07-16-22, 08:16 AM   #3684
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
On July 1st the Atlanta FED GDP Tracker pointed to negative growth which indicated we are ‘technically’ in a recession.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/01/atla...recession.html

15 days later we got bookies taking bets on the odds of something that’s already happened. Ante up

Odds of US Recession Within Next Year Near 50%, Survey Shows

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/odds-...113500717.html
Anybody that didn't see a recession possibility with Gov. mandated shutdowns coupled with the corona-virus "relief" packages is an idiot.

Trump started the ball rolling with the first "relief" package, and Biden has done nothing but exacerbate the problem with his EO's and His "Green Policy" directives since he took office.

It is also my firm belief that had Trump remained in office, He would have addressed the rising inflation head-on and instead of 9% (and rising) inflation, it would be at a more manageable 3-5%.
Old 07-16-22, 09:34 AM   #3685
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Kleptocracy.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-22, 01:18 PM   #3686
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Anybody that didn't see a recession possibility with Gov. mandated shutdowns coupled with the corona-virus "relief" packages is an idiot.

Trump started the ball rolling with the first "relief" package, and Biden has done nothing but exacerbate the problem with his EO's and His "Green Policy" directives since he took office.

It is also my firm belief that had Trump remained in office, He would have addressed the rising inflation head-on and instead of 9% (and rising) inflation, it would be at a more manageable 3-5%.

Trump? Brandon? Not likely since the problem child called FED reports to and is directly accountable to the Congress, not the President.

Last edited by Rockstar; 07-16-22 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-16-22, 09:10 PM   #3687
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

You may want to rethink that statement.

Quote:
Although an instrument of the US Government, the Federal Reserve System considers itself "an independent central bank because its monetary policy decisions do not have to be approved by the President or by anyone else in the executive or legislative branches of government, it does not receive funding appropriated by Congress, and the terms of the members of the board of governors span multiple presidential and congressional terms
Old 07-16-22, 09:33 PM   #3688
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
You may want to rethink that statement.
I have no need to rethink it, especially when I just cut pasted the statement directly from federal reserve.gov website. Though I also agree with what you said, but what you posted is only part of the story.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/about_14986.htm

Last edited by Rockstar; 07-16-22 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-17-22, 04:33 PM   #3689
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The Tagesspiegel writes:

Biden's Middle East Journey:
The Meaningless States of America

U.S. President Joe Biden came to the Middle East as a supplicant and was treated as such. America's weakness is evident.

They were pithy words. "Let me be clear that the United States will remain an active, engaged partner in the Middle East," Joe Biden announced at the Gulf Cooperation Council summit in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. The U.S. president coupled his message with a clear announcement: "We're not going to walk away and leave a vacuum to be filled by China, Russia or Iran."

That sounds like determination and a return to a region that the U.S. has paid little attention to. However, it is probably too late for that. The vacuum that the superpower has created in the Middle East with its turn to the Pacific region - it has long since been filled by its geostrategic rivals.

Both Moscow and Beijing are expanding their influence day by day. Weapons are supplied, gas and oil distributed, and anti-Western alliances forged. America remains merely an extra.

The basic tenor of Biden's trip is a stark reminder of Washington's dilemma: The U.S. president came as a supplicant. The actual destination of his tour was not Israel, but oil-rich Saudi Arabia.
The monarchy does not want to be lectured on human rights by America

The kingdom is in demand as an energy supplier, as a country that could provide the U.S. with a cheaper price for gasoline and thus Biden with a success by increasing production volumes. But the Gulf monarchy rebuffed the 79-year-old. There were vague declarations of intent, but no concrete commitments.

The Saudi heir to the throne shows how America's weakness can be turned into strength elsewhere. Until recently, Mohammed bin Salman was rightly pilloried as the man responsible for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. Biden himself had called him a pariah.

While this is not forgotten, it is basically forgiven. Saudi Arabia is too important as a producer of black gold. The Russian war of aggression against Ukraine turned the desert state into a sought-after partner again in the blink of an eye. One that is very aware of its importance. On the subject of human rights, the crown prince coolly told his guest from Washington that "imposing values" would be counterproductive.

Kremlin leader Vladimir Putin and China's ruler Xi Jinping do not even ask such questions, which are annoying for bin Salman. This makes them both pleasant negotiating partners for the Saudi crown prince. Especially since the three gentlemen are united by their autocratic attitudes.

And Biden? Will quickly be a thing of the past in the Middle East. On Tuesday, Putin, someone who is really powerful in the region, will travel to Tehran. There, it will be a matter of weapons and alliances. For America, there will be no more than a place on the spectator bench.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Old 07-18-22, 07:58 AM   #3690
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I have no need to rethink it, especially when I just cut pasted the statement directly from federal reserve.gov website. Though I also agree with what you said, but what you posted is only part of the story.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/about_14986.htm
As did you, however that isn't really the point, what is relevant, is that the President of the United States sets the tone for the economy. EO's, and policy have a direct impact on the economy.