SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-21, 07:50 AM   #1
meijse3
Watch

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default deleting saves help

Can anyone tell me where I delete saves, and which files to delete - to clear out the in-game list a little? I'm playing the steam version with FotRSue. Thanks.
meijse3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 08:09 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Saves are in the SH4 folder in your documents folder.
If you are starting a new version of SH, generally delete the entire folder., when you start the game it creates a new one.

Now, in game, when you go to 'save', click on an older save, then delete, then OK.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 08:55 AM   #3
meijse3
Watch

Ah! Thanks.

But there's no option to delete saves in game. At least, I don't see it. Clicking on older saves doesn't bring up a delete option that I can see. Nevermind. Thanks.

Last edited by meijse3; 01-24-21 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-25-21, 10:37 AM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijse3 View Post
Ah! Thanks.

But there's no option to delete saves in game. At least, I don't see it. Clicking on older saves doesn't bring up a delete option that I can see. Nevermind. Thanks.

Are you running SH4? If so, any Mods, etc?

Old 01-26-21, 09:59 AM   #5
meijse3
Watch

SH4 1.5 steam version, with FotRSue. No in game delete save option. But it's ok, I just delete the entire cfg file and that works. Thanks.
Old 01-26-21, 11:10 AM   #6
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijse3 View Post
SH4 1.5 steam version, with FotRSue. No in game delete save option. But it's ok, I just delete the entire cfg file and that works. Thanks.

That's Odd..
I'm running 1.5 (NOT the steam version) with FOTRSU 1.39.

during the game, from the popup menu for save/load/resume, go..etc. Select save game. you'll get a list of previously saved games, and a line to type in a name for a new save, and then:

Choices are Back, delete, save

to delete, click on one of the saves , the word delete will 'brighten' then click on it, and then on the "are you sure" message.

Old 01-26-21, 02:10 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

As mikesn9 mentions, you do have to choose the correct function in SH4. If you are at the main menu, and you use the "Load Game" choice:

Which gets you this screen:

That route through the menuing does not have a "Delete" on it. None of the Load Game choices, whether it'd be the Captain's Office or elsewhere have "Delete" on them:

Note the file folder being "pulled" out, whether this lower one, or the one above it, both take you to the same menu:

If you choose the "Load Game" menu, you get the same Save File list as above, and no delete. If you click the "Save Game" choice though, you'll get a Save File list similar to this:

Which does have the Delete choice on it. Click on the file you want to get rid of, and click on Delete. You usually have to click twice - once to get out of the file list box, and the 2nd to actually delete the file chosen.

If you are on the boat on patrol, use the menu at the lower-right, just above the Captain's Log choice, and it takes you to similar screens:

Again, if you choose the "Load Game", there is no delete, but choose the "Save Game", and you will find the "Delete", which will activate once you make a Saved File menu choice...

The only time you should use the Windows File Explorer to delete is when you are clearing the contents of the folder for a mod change, or just starting all over. If you delete specific numbered Save folders inside the folder structure with File Explorer, that will "confuse" the game next time you start, and that can run into issues in the game, since it has that data "catalogued". Use the in-game "Save Game" menu choices to delete specific Saves you no longer need, so that the game can do its own "housekeeping".

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 02:43 PM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Game save deletion...

Ahoy...

propbeanie +1

What info has been set out, is correct... the main menu only allows for you to load up a save & that's it... Once you load a save, it will either take you to the base office, to get ready to go out yet again on another patrol.. or take you to your sub, should you still be on a patrol.

In office, selecting the save feature will give you the option to delete saves... which.. I would like to point out, that the game does have a 'housekeeping' dept., of sorts... in that when a set # of saves are stacked up... the game will then enact a feature to then start getting rid of older saves, on its own...

It will then start with the very oldest save point & work its way up the list, until getting to a set amount left & then stop 'housekeeping', as it were.

So, in short, there is NOT any real reason to begin panicking about having too many game save points, for the career... unless you have multiple careers, that I know of...

As is, I generally only do 2 careers... 1 Asiatic & the other out of Pearl. Currently, am only down to 1 career out of Manilla at the start of the war... depending on how that 1 goes... minus the hiccups I've faced thus far... am gonna wait & see of getting to either the end of the war with it... reach a point where they have to kick Me outta My sub & take up a desk job or sub school... or I bite the big tamale & get sunk... which ever comes 1st...

Then & only then will I see of a career outta Pearl, at that stage...

Hope this info helps...

Good huntin'...

M. M.

Old 01-27-21, 12:54 PM   #9
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Thanks for the screenshots and extra info, Prop & Mad.

Hope all this helps, Meijse.