SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-15, 12:58 PM   #16
bart
Frogman

Downloads: 245
Uploads: 0

v-i-c your work so far looks very very impressive and I'm following it with much interest. Fantastic work so far mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
Sounds excellent and I cant wait for the PC release!
Me too.........
Old 01-12-15, 05:37 PM   #17
Punkrokker
Watch

Downloads: 0

This looks very promising. It will be on the top of my list for games to watch out for.
Punkrokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 12:16 AM   #18
scissors
Shore leave

Downloads: 303
Default Cruel Joke ?

Please don't play with my heart ..

Some of this looks too good to be true ..
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 07:11 AM   #19
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors View Post

Just for fun I wanted to know how expensive my working time on WOTA was till today:

Multiplying the hours with what I usually charge my customers as a freelancer resulted in 1.248 Million EUR . But this is the rate that I use for my premium customers. When I use the lower (officially recommended) rate the result is still 548,000 EUR. When I use the total dumping price (which I sometimes was forced to work for during the 2000s) then the result is still 280,000 EUR.

In other words, no one would make such an "expensive" joke. And I guess at the end I will get only a few EUR per hour back

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic™ - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forum • facebook
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 09:28 PM   #20
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44

Ive been watching WOTA, hes making it using the Unity engine (The Forest, Spintires, Construction Simulator 2015) and I too have been attempting making a sub simulator. I have a beautiful AAA quality water system with a perfect buoyency model, kelvin form wakes, prop backwash physics and effects, weather system, day night cycle, underwater god rays to a certain depth, realistic wave splash and a beautiful exterior model of a type VII. But coding the boat physics, let alone underwater physics. Makes my head hurt too much and seeing WOTA get further and further has made me leave it.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 09:32 PM   #21
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsomnia View Post
I have a beautiful AAA quality water system with a perfect buoyency model, kelvin form wakes, prop backwash physics and effects, weather system, day night cycle, underwater god rays to a certain depth, realistic wave splash
Sounds like you bought Frank Kane's Triton.

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic™ - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forum • facebook
Old 01-19-15, 10:02 PM   #22
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44

I wish, what a joke that asset is, its about as realistic as SH4 in terms of fluid dynamics. I played with the demo, and its not worth 450$ (and I was able to get around the time limit somehow by entering a random string and a random number into the name and serial number... weird.) I think their studio has sold something like 17 units on the asset store I heard somewhere? Plus its coded in c++ with a wrapper library into Unity. I've contacted Frank too and he sounded very arrogant since I wasn't, quote, "seriously interested in a purchase".

I am intersted to see where their updates go... but they SunDog is spending time doing Oculus development instead of fluid simulation.

I have soo many projects laying around half done (local group of C# coders and Unity/Blender/Max users.) I could call this a "Yacht Simulator" at this point haha. Underwater fluid simulation, and even surface, is even harder than Flight Sim work. Do it well however and it sticks around,look how dedicated people are to IL-2 what is it 11 years old now?

When Unity 5 comes out I may put some more hours into it the GI may make the graphics part easier but like you stated its a LOT of man hours for a small team and I wish you had the funding/team size to take WOTA further, I know how hard game design is when you/your team all has to be generalists.

Im curious is it JUST you, 5 years of work later, or a team? I havnt read your whole thread on the Unity forums just glanced through. But all I know is you are worlds ahead of anyone else in a 'modern' subsim. OR naval sim for that matter.

I recently got into Unreal 4. Wow if I had only learned c++ instead of c#.

PS your water shader system is beautiful considering its a mobile build and when I see things like your stormy weather scenes it makes me go 'Blah go work on something else'. Props. Also you do alot of sound work correct? Very curious to see how it will sound on a PC system with a pro sound guy(s).

Will post some pics of my models at some point. 3D modelling is my specialty.
If you need any blueprints let me know I have prints of everything on a type 7. Hundreds of them at hi-res. Down to the windlass gearing.

I count nearly 80 float variables just to calculate drag. You sir are simulating to the max. Viscosity, shaft efficiency, prop size, prop pitch... wow.

Last edited by nsomnia; 01-20-15 at 12:08 AM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 11:58 PM   #23
CybrSlydr
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13

Truly impressive stuff!!! Anxious to see the PC release as well!
Old 01-22-15, 12:06 AM   #24
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

nsomnia!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 06:16 AM   #25
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim nsomnia

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 06:28 AM   #26
Lasstmichdurch
Watch

Downloads: 56

All my hopes go to this one...great job!!!
Lasstmichdurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 07:43 AM   #27
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM nsomnia

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 07:15 PM   #28
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Quote:

Since today you can download my new app and see some parts of "WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic" running on your own device - some stuff from WOTA went into this new app which is part of the "WOTA" brand.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=217960

Old 01-24-15, 12:37 AM   #29
scissors
Shore leave

Downloads: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-i-c- View Post
Since today you can download my new app and see some parts of "WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic" running on your own device - some stuff from WOTA went into this new app which is part of the "WOTA" brand.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=217960
I wasnt actually implying you were being dishonest , Just my twisted way of saying it looks amazing and i really hope to play this one day on pc .
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 01:50 PM   #30
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Quote:
I wasnt actually implying you were being dishonest , Just my twisted way of saying it looks amazing and i really hope to play this one day on pc .
Oh, no I didn't thought that. I just wanted to say that you can see at a bit of the "Some of this looks too good to be true .." content running on your own device with this new app.