SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-21, 12:32 PM   #1
bsmooth
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Is a disc worth getting ?

I managed to find a copy on Ebay of SH4 with the Uboat missions. This way I can do an install and add any mods which might be worth having. I have the steam version, and it works, but I really don't want to play around with Steam install and different locations, especially with all the other Steam stuff I have.
Hopefully the Disc works OK and I will do a plain install, and then the fun begins, as what mods would be a good choice for a beginner?
I've read about some of the different mods, but I'm sort of unsure on what they do even after reading the threads.
I'll be running the sim at 1680x1050, as thats the natural res for my monitor. I thought the sim looks pretty good as it is. Are there any mods which actually add content to the US sub war in the pacific?
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 05:26 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmooth View Post
I managed to find a copy on Ebay of SH4 with the Uboat missions. This way I can do an install and add any mods which might be worth having. I have the steam version, and it works, but I really don't want to play around with Steam install and different locations, especially with all the other Steam stuff I have.
Hopefully the Disc works OK and I will do a plain install, and then the fun begins, as what mods would be a good choice for a beginner?
I've read about some of the different mods, but I'm sort of unsure on what they do even after reading the threads.
I'll be running the sim at 1680x1050, as thats the natural res for my monitor. I thought the sim looks pretty good as it is. Are there any mods which actually add content to the US sub war in the pacific?

Yes. Make sure its the Uboat add ons v 1.5, need it for the mods.

Nice to own a physical copy, esp after some of the horror stories I hear about downloading the game.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 03:29 AM   #3
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

While Steam has generally been very reliable I prefer using a CD/DVD version as there are fewer things to go wrong, and if Steam gets flaky, the games stay on my PC...
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 01:26 PM   #4
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I have a STEAM version which is fully modded.

Mods work well because unlike SH3/5, the exe is not modded. The exe is only thing that STEAM modifies from what I can see. Unlike other games, SH4 will never be updated, so no possibility of conflict.
Old 03-01-21, 03:58 PM   #5
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

I've had trouble with Ubi used dvd's. The problem was getting Ubi to recognize a new owner. This was a few years ago, so it might have changed.

I have about 12 Steam games and never any problems.