SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-20, 01:56 PM   #1
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0
Default TDC madness

Hello there,

I am having a strange situation with the TDC on my Sboat. Basically I am tracking a task force with two CVs and I manage to penetrate the screen. I turn ON PK and calculate the target speed as usual with all other target that I sunk so far.
I estimate target AOB and use stadimeter to set relative bearing and range.
Now for some reason, the bearing in TDC is wrong every time. Basically it is changing way faster then what I see in scope. The more time I let pass the error increases. I never had this before. I have attached photo of the given situation. Bearing to target is 60 in TDC and scope 69 and keep in mind that I made this reading with stadimeter lest then 10s ago. So in 10s or less the TDC moved the relative bearing (and messed up also torpedo gyro angle) by almost 10deg.
Before everybody goes and says check your speed of target I timed the target on my scope wire. divided the target length by time passed times 2. Worked every time so far.
Not sure if time compression has something to do with this as I sued it on my approach and while I am waiting for target to get in good position.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XgcsshEDxaTp72oU6
NiceSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 03:22 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You don't show the other half of your screen there, NiceSub. Do you have one of the rear tubes selected?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-20, 03:57 PM   #3
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Hi,

This sub does not have rear torpedo tubes. What you see is what I get by TDC...I cant make sense of it
Old 05-24-20, 06:47 AM   #4
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default that darn position keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceSub View Post
I am having a strange situation with the TDC on my Sboat. Basically I am tracking a task force with two CVs and I manage to penetrate the screen. I turn ON PK and calculate the target speed as usual with all other target that I sunk so far. https://photos.app.goo.gl/XgcsshEDxaTp72oU6
As you state, "Position Keeper is ON (as shown in your picture) and you calculated target speed as usual with all other target that you sunk so far."

I suspect you failed to turn PK off after sinking your first CV. PK does not know you changed targets when you rotate & lock your scope onto the second target and now the TDC seems wrong, which it is. This happens to me all the time, I forget to turn PK off, then back on between targets.

This just happened on my last patrol when I did a snap shot at a sub-chaser a mere 500 yards off my port bow. Torpedo veers to the right and I see the damn PK light still RED from the previous target. Crash DIVE!

Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-24-20, 08:58 AM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceSub View Post
Hello there,

I am having a strange situation with the TDC on my Sboat. Basically I am tracking a task force with two CVs and I manage to penetrate the screen. I turn ON PK and calculate the target speed as usual with all other target that I sunk so far.
I estimate target AOB and use stadimeter to set relative bearing and range....
The PK should not be turned on/running until all things are set: speed, AOB and a bearing/range is given to the TDC. Enabling it before that would give erroneous solutions. Are you sure that range is correct? If the TDC is set with a range that is closer than reality it would make the PK track with a higher bearingrate.
Old 05-24-20, 03:14 PM   #6
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
The PK should not be turned on/running until all things are set: speed, AOB and a bearing/range is given to the TDC. Enabling it before that would give erroneous solutions. Are you sure that range is correct? If the TDC is set with a range that is closer than reality it would make the PK track with a higher bearingrate.
So, this is getting strange. I reload the game, sneak up to the CV again and I follow your tip around PK. Still no change, TDC goes crazy. The bearing rate is massive I cannot explain it. Also when I let CV get around 10deg - 20 deg on scope and get to input new AOB and bearing the TDC freaks out the moment I input new range/bearing reading. The moment I send data to TDC it gives relative bearing of.......355deg on TDC dials. I am getting frustrated and confused...damn sometimes I miss plain old German TDC from SHV that is plug and play...this thing has mind of its own and now I am losing confidence in it if cannot input plain simple target bearing properly.

On your question to the range, the target is Taiyo CV, I try taking measurment from top of the mast, TDC goes crazy. I try taking from top of the the antenna or those wires that are visible still TDC crazy.
FYI I have only one mod FoTRSU latest version.
Old 05-24-20, 04:36 PM   #7
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

"sometimes I miss plain old German TDC", simple answer, the only real difference is the Position Keeper (PK) on the US computer. The purpose of the PK is to help keep the plot of the target track while the scope is down, it has no other purpose, so don't use it. The position when the PK is active assumes the target doesn't change course or speed, so it's really only useful for the approach when the target is not zigzagging and the periscope observations have to be kept to a minimum. For the "final bearing and shoot" observation you should always click the button to turn the PK OFF so when you lock on and click to send range and bearing to the TDC, you're sending the actual range and bearing rather than the predicted range and bearing.

Personally I never use the PK since you can just leave the periscope up until you're close to firing range anyway, the enemy AI in the game can't see a periscope unless it's inside 1000 yards.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 09:57 AM   #8
NiceSub
Torpedoman

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
"sometimes I miss plain old German TDC", simple answer, the only real difference is the Position Keeper (PK) on the US computer. The purpose of the PK is to help keep the plot of the target track while the scope is down, it has no other purpose, so don't use it. The position when the PK is active assumes the target doesn't change course or speed, so it's really only useful for the approach when the target is not zigzagging and the periscope observations have to be kept to a minimum. For the "final bearing and shoot" observation you should always click the button to turn the PK OFF so when you lock on and click to send range and bearing to the TDC, you're sending the actual range and bearing rather than the predicted range and bearing.

Personally I never use the PK since you can just leave the periscope up until you're close to firing range anyway, the enemy AI in the game can't see a periscope unless it's inside 1000 yards.
yes but in the german TDC the bearing is linked to the scope wherever is pointed. Here in US I have to send range which also sends bearing to the target which gives me this problem. The bearing sent to TDC is wrong for some reason. As if it is unable to read it properly.

If somebody is willing to have a go at this task force let me know as I have save file when I spotted it so you can try and see if this is user error or bug.
I use only FoTRSU mod and that is it.

EDIT:
I reloaded the save file and tried to attack the task force again. This time instead of trying to sing a CV I went for one heavy and light cruisers. TDC worked as usual and I did not notice any kind on anomaly. Looks like something is off with the CV itself. I sunk both cruisers and I will reengage the task force to sink the remaining cruiser.
Later I will post bug report to the mod developers.

Last edited by NiceSub; 05-25-20 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-25-20, 07:56 PM   #9
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Just ran a quick test - with manual targeting you have to send range & bearing to TDC, with automatic targeting the "OWN SHIP" on the TDC automatically tracks with the direction the scope or TBT is pointed. This is with no gameplay mods other than GONE ASIATIC, which affects only traffic and resupply bases, doesn't change anything about the sub or targets physics.

One occasional problem in the stock game with auto targeting is when the enemy formation sets panic stations and runs around in circles trying to avoid collisions, if a destroyer is backing at 10 knots the TDC is pointing at a position ahead of the destroyer instead of behind. That's the only time I get the wrong way gyro angle line, I've learned not to shoot at anything going in reverse because the game isn't programmed for that.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote