SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-22, 03:18 PM   #1
iluvcasey
Nub

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
SHO silent hunter 4

im having an issue where the game crashed on me when I tried to do the campaign and now all it does when i try to launch it from steam is crash how do i fix that issue
iluvcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 03:50 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcasey View Post
im having an issue where the game crashed on me when I tried to do the campaign and now all it does when i try to launch it from steam is crash how do i fix that issue

To start with... what is the locality of the install. This includes Steam's launcher & it's subsequent "library" (which is where the games you either get for free off of their store or that you bought & paid for, also from the store, get dropped upon install of the game/s & sims... such as SH4.), hmmm...

Am gonna go out on a limb... & say, that it's likely, in the defaulted (moron scripted) locality... in either C:\Program files or... C:\Program files (x86)

Both... of which, are best... to be avoided like the plague. Know that even though newer games/sims are supposed to be worked up, to work in UAC's domain... not all are... & this holds, more painfully & acutely with regards to older game/sims. Of which SH4 falls into that last category.

Best means to avoid all that... don't ever... EVER... install anything game related, inside of Window's Darth Vader, Vulcan King Kong death grip terror of a watchdog's (namely UAC) territory.... EVER.

That's point 1.

Point 2. Wondering if, you used either a 4GB patch kit, on SH4's .exe, or Large Address Aware... of which, to Me.. is so simple to use.. it's not funny. Simple 3 steps.. 1. Point LAA (as some refer to it by) to where your games (& this applies to any.. ANY game at all.) .exe resides. 2. check mark the box "assign this 4 GB's of RAM access (stupid Window's... slap slap slap). 3. Click the activate button... namely the "Save" button... & done.

Point 3. Namely... before even launching SH4, at all... (after installing it.) it pays to go into the "properties" menu for the SH4 & checking that a couple of things are done there... before even attempting to run or much less... mod the SH4 install.

1. On the main menu page, namely the "General" tab, look for & make sure that "read only" box, is NOT check marked. If it is... uncheck it. Click apply & move on to step 2.

2. Click & open up the "Compatibility" tab.

Here, look for to begin with... the "settings" section, bout 2/3 of the way down... & check mark the box, for... "Run this program, as an administrator"

On getting that done... click accept then OK. Done

Now, you are free & clear to run the install... the very 1st time, to allow it to finish doing all it needs to, to finalize the installation.

Once that, is done... then you're ready for phase 2... modding the game/sim....

Hope this, as always... helps.

M. M.
Old 01-05-22, 06:25 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

iluvcasey!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 08:56 PM   #4
iluvcasey
Nub

Downloads: 12

its installed on my external hard drive
iluvcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 03:54 AM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcasey View Post
its installed on my external hard drive
Ok, can you provide a snap shot of the folder structure... & while at it, you're using, I safely assume.. jsgme if you're modding that copy of SH4... using it (jsgme), click "tasks" in the center bar area, select export & select the last option in the sub menu "copy to clipboard, that will enable you to then, paste that mod list here in your next reply post... so as to see what you're working with, with regards to mods.

So, can go from there to see what might be causing you issues...

On the other info I outlined.. I take it, that you did before running SH4 the initial 1st time, go into the properties & do those steps with the SH4.exe, yes... as well as using either the 4GB patch kit or LAA..???

M. M.