SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-20, 12:17 AM   #1
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3
Default So the games really doesn't play of Win 10 right?

Before I go through a lot of issues trying to reinstall the game and apply the fix in the sticky above, it looks like the even the fix above isn't working anymore and the game doesn't work?

Am I correct?

LB
Old 03-04-20, 01:11 AM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

DW runs just fine in Win 10.

Which version of DW is giving you troubles? There was the original version on CD, the Steam version, and the direct download/install version from Strategy First.

Off the top of my head, I think you're talking about the d3d8.dll install. You can find the DLL here, just make sure you install it in the SAME folder where the dangerouswaters.exe file resides. As an example, if you want to run the current version of the RA mod it already has the d3d8 file included in the download, HOWEVER the .dll is found in a separate folder. Just move the dll from its folder out to the main DW folder. Rule of thumb, if you see the actual DLL file and the DW .exe file in the same folder- you're OK and you've installed it right.

There's also a way to run the game in Win 10 in windowed mode, but I don't use it. Chazly and some of the other folks can answer how to set that up.

After that, you'll need to make changes for things like display size and type by manually editing a file called dangerouswaters.ini in the game's main folder. Just double click the .ini file and Win will ask what program you want to use. Be sure to select Notepad. You can find info about what to edit in the INI in other threads on this (DW) forum.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 08:10 AM   #3
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

As ET2SN mentioned, Dangerous Waters works just fine on Windows 10. I prefer running in a window to remove any risk of crashing from alt+tabbing, and I also like it better for accessing frequency sheets or other references. But the d3d8.dll should work fine for fullscreen. Here's my video on how to run Dangerous Waters in a window on Windows 10 with DxWnd, if you're so interested (be sure to read the video description!!):

Others have used dxvoodoo (or something like that). DxWnd is the program I was told about, I don't think there's any effective difference between the two.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-20, 02:53 PM   #4
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

I'm using the original CD Rom version. I downloaded DXWND and set it up exactly as the video tutorial, but still get an error "Failed to initialize the graphics display... so I figured the "fix" isn't working anymore.

LB
Old 03-05-20, 08:30 AM   #5
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post
I'm using the original CD Rom version. I downloaded DXWND and set it up exactly as the video tutorial, but still get an error "Failed to initialize the graphics display... so I figured the "fix" isn't working anymore.

LB
I had this issue on a stream the other day but I fixed it going back to an older DxWnd profile or something (I couldn't tell you how I fixed it exactly, but I'll try and figure it out when I get home).

• First, is your DW up-to-date to v1.04?
  • Second, are you using the older version of DxWnd I call out in the video description? The profile doesn't work with newer versions of DxWnd.
  • Third, don't have the d3d8.dll in your Dangerous Waters directory with DxWnd. It won't work with the d3d8.dll in your directory.

My videos:
Old 03-05-20, 03:53 PM   #6
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
I had this issue on a stream the other day but I fixed it going back to an older DxWnd profile or something (I couldn't tell you how I fixed it exactly, but I'll try and figure it out when I get home).

• First, is your DW up-to-date to v1.04?
  • Second, are you using the older version of DxWnd I call out in the video description? The profile doesn't work with newer versions of DxWnd.
  • Third, don't have the d3d8.dll in your Dangerous Waters directory with DxWnd. It won't work with the d3d8.dll in your directory.
Thanks FPS. I am using the newer version of the DxWnd. I guess I need to find the older version.

My original CD has the original 1.00 DW, not the 1.04, so I'll try updating it.
Old 03-05-20, 09:40 PM   #7
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

So I did those things and its working now. Time to put on the old subsim captains hat again!

Many thanks.
Old 03-05-20, 10:20 PM   #8
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Glad to hear it! You are quite welcome. Good hunting!

My videos:
Old 03-08-20, 06:52 PM   #9
moose1am
Frogman

Downloads: 0
Default That's too much work just to play a game on the computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
DW runs just fine in Win 10.

Which version of DW is giving you troubles? There was the original version on CD, the Steam version, and the direct download/install version from Strategy First.

Off the top of my head, I think you're talking about the d3d8.dll install. You can find the DLL here, just make sure you install it in the SAME folder where the dangerouswaters.exe file resides. As an example, if you want to run the current version of the RA mod it already has the d3d8 file included in the download, HOWEVER the .dll is found in a separate folder. Just move the dll from its folder out to the main DW folder. Rule of thumb, if you see the actual DLL file and the DW .exe file in the same folder- you're OK and you've installed it right.

There's also a way to run the game in Win 10 in windowed mode, but I don't use it. Chazly and some of the other folks can answer how to set that up.

After that, you'll need to make changes for things like display size and type by manually editing a file called dangerouswaters.ini in the game's main folder. Just double click the .ini file and Win will ask what program you want to use. Be sure to select Notepad. You can find info about what to edit in the INI in other threads on this (DW) forum.
Why can't someone make a game that just does all that for us and that we can put into the CD player and load up on the computer where it works without all that moving files around and making changes to files? That would be nice for us older folks that don't have the aptitude to make all those changes ourselves.

I have to keep my old Dell Windows XP computer in order to play this game in its original form on the CD that I bought. I don't have room to set up another old computer and that huge monitor that I used with the Dell Computer.

Why can't they make a game that's up to date and can be downloaded and played on a new Windows 10 Home or Pro version?

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 07:29 AM   #10
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

I wish Sonalysts would update it, but they've long since retired the game.

My videos:
Old 04-16-22, 09:45 PM   #11
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
As ET2SN mentioned, Dangerous Waters works just fine on Windows 10. I prefer running in a window to remove any risk of crashing from alt+tabbing, and I also like it better for accessing frequency sheets or other references. But the d3d8.dll should work fine for fullscreen. Here's my video on how to run Dangerous Waters in a window on Windows 10 with DxWnd, if you're so interested (be sure to read the video description!!):

Others have used dxvoodoo (or something like that). DxWnd is the program I was told about, I don't think there's any effective difference between the two.

This does come up on Google among a few other threads. I dug out cold waters, had fun with it for a while and got bored with the unrealistic game antics, so lets dig out the old faithful .. It's rather annoying that PING does not count for TMA and/or contact tracking. Also TMA jumping to zero if your guys lose the track for one second gets old. Oh well, it's the RSR remake so it is what it is.

Anyways, the settings in the tube do not really work, at least for me they do not. The key problem is that you're not ticking the "enumerate 16-bit modes" in Direct3D settings. Without that, you get video mode error.

In the video, setting initial resolution and limiting resolution do nothing unless you tick the box also. Inject DLL method is not really needed, it works fine with windows hook.

There's this bit from the DXWnd creator for sub command (to fix cursor) that is a good starting point:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/disc...ad/5050f95128/

Here are the settings I'm using, perhaps someone will find it useful. Note that this is for 4k display, you might not want 2400x1800 otherwise..
Attached Files
File Type: txt Dangerous Waters.dxw.txt (9.6 KB, 26 views)
Barleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 10:06 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Barleyman! after a 5 year "silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote