SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-20, 06:52 PM   #1
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo Track Missing FOTRS

Anybody know how to get the torpedo track back into the game for SH4 FOTRS please?

cheers
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 09:11 PM   #2
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

What do you mean by "track"? The wake or something else?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 03:55 AM   #3
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

The track you see in your attack/mini map that shows you were your torpedoes will go.

I thought it was call the track?.

Is it the torpedo course/angle?

Cheers.
Old 05-09-20, 03:19 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The line is there, the ships direction is there, but it does seem to be missing the "X" of calculated impact... - this is in both manual and auto... The line at times is obscured by the sonar lines if you haven't completed a "solution"... or whatever the correct terminology is. Looking into it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 03:22 PM   #5
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Cheers
Thanks for looking into it.
Old 05-11-20, 06:43 AM   #6
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The line is there, the ships direction is there, but it does seem to be missing the "X" of calculated impact... - this is in both manual and auto... The line at times is obscured by the sonar lines if you haven't completed a "solution"... or whatever the correct terminology is. Looking into it.

Any news on this propbeanie please?

cheers
Old 05-11-20, 07:47 AM   #7
propbeanie

No. I have not found anything obvious. The only thing missing in my display is the 'X' marks the spot. If I am on auto, then I get a normal auto-targeting display, and if on manual, I get a normal manual-targeting display, so long as I have all data input and set - other than the projected intercept location, which with my manual-targeting, is either 3 thousand yards beyond the target, or 500 yards short, or way out in left field, which is not unusual for me... lol - We'll keep looking though. I'm going through each boat, and using various ships in test missions to see if its all (which it appears to be). I just made a fresh install and I will be in the process of testing further here later today.

Old 05-11-20, 07:53 AM   #8
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Quote:
No. I have not found anything obvious. The only thing missing in my display is the 'X' marks the spot. If I am on auto, then I get a normal auto-targeting display, and if on manual, I get a normal manual-targeting display, so long as I have all data input and set - other than the projected intercept location, which with my manual-targeting, is either 3 thousand yards beyond the target, or 500 yards short, or way out in left field, which is not unusual for me... lol - We'll keep looking though. I'm going through each boat, and using various ships in test missions to see if its all (which it appears to be). I just made a fresh install and I will be in the process of testing further here later today.

Thank you very much.
Old 05-11-20, 08:54 AM   #9
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

propbeanie

Can you suggest a good music and radio mod to increase the music and radio options already in game please?

Finally, probably a silly question but why aren't the ships lengths listed in the ingame ship manual?
Old 05-11-20, 10:03 AM   #10
propbeanie

Any one of a number of them, but anything from Fred8615 is good. There are only 3 pages of mods in the site's Sound FX download section, so it is rather easy to browse through. There is only one radio mod that I am aware of that has issues, but I cannot recall which one - Captain Midnight's CBS???... someone else would have to point it out. But it is still a good little mod, in which you just have to fix a date / time issue for it to function correctly. There is also Digital_Trucker's Radio Station Manager still works in Windows 10, though it has become a bit more fiddly than it used to be because of the 'modern' Windows, but it can fix bad dates also. I have used it help me set-up my own radio stations, which is way cool. I forget all of the formats that the players in SH4 use, but mp3 and ogg come to mind off the top of my head, so all you have to do is put your own music in the appropriate folder inside the Sound folder, open the player, load them, and away you go! You can easily fill a hard drive in no time like that.

As for the ships' lengths, we have a possible work-around, without having to alter the menu_1024_768.ini file each time we sneeze, but that "shortcoming" of no Ship Length is a Stock game "issue". lurker_hlb3 years ago in OM took the ships' Speed field and turned it into a "Length" field, which did work for most aspects of the game, but did bugger the Museum, as well as several other aspects of the game, but if you run with Map Contacts off, not a big deal, and the length is more important in OM. CapnScurvy altered the menu_1024_768.ini to have a "Length" field as the top line in the RecMan for his Optical Targeting Correction (OTC) mod, and I have been experimenting with that myself also, but I don't much like the way my work has turned out in that regard thus far. So there is a "brute force" way to do it, and that is to include it as part of the sil file... but that is a difficult way to do it also, having to edit all 296 sil files. It would be better to have a nicer looking way with the menu_1024_768.ini file, which pulls the info from the ships' cfg file, but it does take time to do edits, swap the file in, start the game, look at what you did, say some choice words, remove the file, and do it all over again... lol - especially when there are a myriad other things to do around the house that ~need~ doing.

Old 05-11-20, 10:21 AM   #11
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Quote:
Any one of a number of them, :
Thank you for the swift and full reply.. I did try the Hawaiian music mod but when i went to the gramophone they did not appear.

I just got the 27 or so songs which are already installed.

Did i miss something? am i supposed to activate them someway? i placed them in the sound folder and they are mp3's.

by the way did i say thank you for the great mod and the hard work? if not...thank you very very much :-)
Old 05-11-20, 12:18 PM   #12
propbeanie

Thanks for the thanks! Hope you like it!

Here's a shot of the folders:

I am no expert at the operations of this part of the game, though Fred8615 comes around quite often, especially if you post in one of his threads. But from what I understand, your music would go in the Gramaphone folder, and you should match what is there, which in Stock is 352kbps mp3 files. However, I think it plays just about anything that is audio. When you put the files in there, you then open the Gramophone in the game press "Play", and it goes down your list in order, top to bottom. I cannot remember if it remembers where you were when you Save or not...

most of the time, its by this guy, since he hooks it to the sub's sound system

after you open it, you can move it around, or "Hide" it

To "turn it off", you have to hit the "Stop", and then "Hide" it. All of those little buttons have "ToolTips". Someone just did an add-in a little bit ago where he separated the gramophone from the chart, but I cannot remember who it was or how long ago... I was going to test that out for our team's giving it the thumgs up, and it slipped my mind...

Old 05-11-20, 06:07 PM   #13
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

I hope you get the torp solution back in the mod propbeanie...

I'm trying manual targeting and i cannot hit a bloody thing.

I have fired hundreds of torps and hit one ship these last few weeks.

I line up early about 1000m front of course of enemy ship..slow down to 1/3 and ID it.

I get the speed with 3 min marks and set that and the AOB to 90.

I set torps to fast and influence and have set different depths but usually i keep them shallow to try and see where they are going.

They always miss.

I have tried with PK on and PK off same result.

whats going wrong?
Old 05-12-20, 01:13 PM   #14
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Can someone tell me what i finally got right?

I'm practicing the sub school torp attack ez.

I have ID'd the ship as Heavy Crusier Mogami

Heading 275

I am at 0

He is coming from my left to my right.

PK is off.

I have AOB as 90

Speed 18knts

Torps fast and influence. Offset was 0

Fired when his bow hit the 340 on the periscope. Got two hits out of two.

How? i just decided to fire at 340 instead of when he is at 0 on periscope...what went right?

cheers
Old 05-12-20, 01:25 PM   #15
propbeanie

The fast ninety, you set up for where he is going to be, then fire when he crosses the wire. With a slow merchant, you would usually fire at about 10-12° before as he crosses the wire, a fast merchant would be about 15° before, and in this case, with an even faster warship, and you were probably further back, the 20° before worked. So you set-up for zero°, looked at 340°, and as he came across the wire, you shot, the torps went up the 0°, and intercepted there... correct?