SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-12, 04:30 AM   #1
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default TMO2.5 conversion chart

Just started playing a new TMO2.5 campaign

I love it, and the integrated Nisgeis' TDC is great

But I always find myself wondering about that conversion chart (or "convertion chart" as it calls itself) that replaces the gramophone icon.

What is the point of it actually? it seems to me kind of pointless, and therefore unattractive, and rather below the standard of the rest of the mod.

The chart seems to be nothing more than saying that at 9 knots, you travel 9 nautical miles in one hour and therefore 27 nm in 3 hours and so on. Does anyone playing this game not know this? that speed in knots is defined as nautical miles/hour?

it's just a multiplication table, hardly worthy of the Confidential "For Official Use Only" stamp at the bottom(quotation marks included for, presumably, emphasis), and in fact most of us learned to memorize the multiplication table in primary school.

furthermore it is an unusual multiplication table, in that in many cases it has odd results. eg. 21 knots in one hour gives distance traveled as 20.99 nm, rather than 21 nm. How the designer arrived at this i don't know.

and at 2 knots it gives distance traveled in one hour as 1.2 nm, rather than 2, but after 2 hours it correctly gives 4 nm, and this is inexplicable.

i think the whole thing is silly and beneath the level that TMO2.5 plays at.

it's easy enough for me to get rid of it, and i think i will, but still...perhaps the space could be used for something more productive
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 12:21 AM   #2
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 194
Uploads: 4

No, is one of the more useful things when you get a contact report, many times i could intercept convoys thanks to this chart.

Convoy report tells the hour and minute and speed, i plot an intercept course and, and ask how much time the sub will be there so. If i get there in 10 hours. Then i look at the chart and see how many distance they travel in 10 hours and adjust the plot. You get a good idea where the convoy will be.
Then suppose you get there and calculate the distance drawing a circle again, if the convoy passed your position you missed it but you know the distance from the start point all the time more or less! and try to intercept again.

Sorry for my english, i can't explain better.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 12:48 AM   #3
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman View Post
Does anyone playing this game not know this? that speed in knots is defined as nautical miles/hour?
You mean you calculate this way. ah.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 04:36 PM   #4
bobdina
Watch

Downloads: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
No, is one of the more useful things when you get a contact report, many times i could intercept convoys thanks to this chart.

Convoy report tells the hour and minute and speed, i plot an intercept course and, and ask how much time the sub will be there so. If i get there in 10 hours. Then i look at the chart and see how many distance they travel in 10 hours and adjust the plot. You get a good idea where the convoy will be.
Then suppose you get there and calculate the distance drawing a circle again, if the convoy passed your position you missed it but you know the distance from the start point all the time more or less! and try to intercept again.

Sorry for my english, i can't explain better.
great explanation ,I have never used the chart before now will all the time.
bobdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 12:08 PM   #5
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

It's a holdover from SH3. I used a similar chart while playing SH3 for interception. It makes more sense there because of the metric system. I asked, I believe, CaptainCox to make an art graphic for me. I had done all the math tables myself, in both imperial and metric, but in my zeal i didn't pay much attention as to if it was needed or not in the imperial system. When i was done i sent CaptainCox the info, and he made the graphic. So the mispelling of conversion, and "official use only" was done by the artist. I never got around to correcting it.

Somewhere there's the metric version, but i don't know if it got accidently dropped or is still in the optional mods somewhere. These charts were crucial in SH3 in my opinion. It's funny how most people don't even know what they're for anymore.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 01:14 PM   #6
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I use mine all the time! I printed one out and laminated it to protect it.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-20, 01:31 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107

This conversion chart is also used in FOTRSU, so this topic is still up to date.
As joegrundman says, this chart is useless because based on a HOURLY time calculation which is trivial: How much distance with 9 knots in 18 hours? Very close to 9 x 18 nautical miles, trivial. It would be much more useful if the table contained calculations for MINUTES, a 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 20 minutes distance table for different speeds. Tables were used for not doing the calculation in your head to avoid errors.

In SH5 Sjizzles has provided such charts, but they are in German, using them in SH4 would be more than inappropriate
But maybe such minute-based charts exist for SH4? Thanks to let me know!

Because useless, I replace the conversion chart with a draft chart found in TMO wTw 2.5.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-21-20 at 01:40 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote