SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-20, 12:40 PM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Can I mod SH4 v.1.5 in order to...

Hello,
Is there a mod for SH4 v.1.5 (U-Boot Missions) that only changes all sub interiors to walk inside the boat and have some gauges, maps etc. clickable, without changing the stock campaign, without adding new units?

The latest OTF for TMO 2.5 or OTF for RSRDC do that (and add a radio room), but it's for TMO or RSRDC which do huge campaign changes, and it also changes the cameras, optics, the ID-book etc. which I don't want (when playing stock game).

I think about putting such a mod over GFO which corrects a lot of the stock game bugs.

Because I don't think there is such a mod, I would highly welcome generic pointers about which folders and files in the Data folder need to be edited and changed, also for the case where I want to revert a mod to its stock units and stock campaign.

Thanks,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-16-20 at 01:05 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-20, 02:31 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

I'm getting closer now

I have found this mod which likely works with GFO:
This allows for free camera inside and outside the sub, but still it doesn't allow to click on internal items like the scopes or maps etc.

Lt commander Lare's external and enternal walkaround mod
Old 05-16-20, 11:10 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

I was successful to build a mod that has pretty all the FORTSU interiors, everything clickable, but retaining all the sub equipments from the stock game + GTO mod

I have replaced these files:

Data\Interior
Library\...Camera.dat
Textures\TNormal ... all textures found in FORTSU

I have installed all this after the GFO mod like this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1
New Orders Bar Menu
GFO_v.1.1_SingleMission_CTD_Fix
Snorkel Name Change Fix
Torpedo Training with all Submarines
Sub Interiors from FOTRSU <<<<<<<<<< New build
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Works like a charm, all commands, all clicks inside the sub on scopes, crews, maps etc. All my subs keep their right equipment (canons, deckguns etc.)

1 single issue remains: It's the radio man in the new radio room. Here is what I get when moving crew members in other compartments, or the radio room is empty, or I get this:

https://ibb.co/bmbPdFh

Has anyone an idea how to resolve this? In FORTSU this guy is sitting at the table, but I didn't find the file responsible for this.

Thanks to tell me about this one issue,
Greetings,
XS
Old 05-17-20, 12:19 AM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

First part is relatively simple, stock campaign files are in the Campaigns and UPCCampaignData folders, any new units would be in the Roster and Sea folders. Alterations to the player sub are scattered all over the place depending on what gets modded, but remove the campaigns and UPCdata folders from the mod (cut and paste temporarily to desktop), run JGSME and see if it works.

Last one,

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=211491

\Library\cameras.dat has the actual first person perspective camera positions, \Interior\NSS_SubType (name of actual sub type, find the closest match - for example there's no folder for Sargo because it uses the data from Salmon) then the CR.dat is control room, CT.dat is control tower (and bridge stations? my notes are disorganized, last played with this a long time ago.).

Anyway opening (example) \Interior\NSS_Porpoise\NSS_Porpoise_CR.dat I find 14:Interior Root - Druck_LM1

Then scroll down and down and down, find ;

HF = after planesman
NA = navigator far aft
PL = helmsman
PM = guy between navigator and after planesman
RT1,RT2 - nobody I can find.
RT3 - forward planesman
SA1 - starboard side electrical panel
SA2 - port side christmas tree
SO - That's the beggar at the chart table blocking the view, -1 to the Y value moves this putz down into the pump room where he can study geography without any distractions.

That's from my notes, trying to get rid of the guy standing at the chart table so I could see around the control room without having to use a free roam camera - never had any luck with free roam, always got the out of sectors errors and crashes, so I just tinkered with the XYZ numbers in the \Library\cameras.dat file until I got my first person view where I wanted it. The way I figured out what all these characters were was changing a number in SA1, save, go into the sim and set battle stations (not all crew are visible unless they're at battle stations), then look around and see the guy at the christmas tree is moved or missing or has his head sticking up from the floor or something.

For your purposes, you're probably looking for someone like NA or PM, change one of the numbers and see if your radioman moves.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-20, 10:36 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

That's very useful, Sniper, thanks very much

In my list above I had also all the Data\Submarine folder transfered, but if I do without it I think I resolve the Radio man issue, now the room remains empty, at least that's better than a zombie guy standing there .

Now I'm working on the issue that in the office when you start campaign, and also in your sub equipment window, the descriptions are missing if you click on one. This has been fixed in TMO, FORTSU or other big mods, but I have no idea where to search this stuff, I will have to make a text search in all files and hope they are not binary ones.

Thanks very much for spending your time, very appreciated
Greetings,
XS
Old 05-17-20, 10:55 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

The item description issue is explained here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...t+descriptions

So I need to also transfer

UPCLocalization.tsr file in Data\UPCData\UPCLocalization\

from TMO or FORTSU and see if it will not mess-up my stock equipments. I hope not.

[EDIT]
This will not work, while you get infos for the torpedos, you won't get descriptions for upgrade items or for what's in your boat currently; the description windows for 'On base' and 'On boat' remain blank.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-17-20 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-17-20, 04:04 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

I found it much more easy to load a big mod and remove the campaign files of it in order to play the stock campaign and have acceptable interiors. That has shown much easier than to adapt the interiors of the stock game which is very prone to glitches.

A finesse is that you can keep new playable submarines if you keep them in the Roster folder, and if you additionally edit the CareerStart.upc and flotillas.upc files of the stock game to get these subs inside. I have done so to add the Narwhal and Tench class submarines.

Again, thanks very much, Spiper, your advices have been crucial for me to do all this!

Cheers,
XS
Old 05-18-20, 09:09 PM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

I add the following info in the case anyone will read this in the future:

To revert any SH4 mod to the stock campaign, it's enough in most cases to just remove the Data\Campaings and the Data\UPCData\UPCCampaignData folder. Instead it's best to keep the Sea and Roster folder which contain new units that will never be referenced by the stock game, these folders may contain modded stock units, but all the better, this has no influence on their traffic appearance in the 3D-world (which is done by the other 2 removed folders above) and keeping the Sea and Roster folders could avoid nasty game crashes later. But if you know exactly what to remove, then do it to save HDD space.
In the case of the OTC mod or any mod changing the Identification Book in the game, you MUST keep the Sea and Roster folders as is, otherwise the game will crash at some point when using the ID-Book in the game.

That's basically it. I like to revert to stock campaign if I don't want to spend hours of game time to find a single merchand or a convoy.
The stock campaign has a very much increased traffic compared to TMO and more contact reports appearing in your radio log. The excellent RSRDC campaign is very realistic and historically rewamped, but it also has limited traffic compared to the stock game, less good for a fast game.

I have tested with success this system of reverting to stock campaign with the following mods:

TMOwTw 2.5 + OTC for TMO2.5 + 1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9_TMO (*)
TMO 2.5 (regular) + same as above;

(*) In the case like here where a mod has more packages in JSGME, you must make a copy of all packages and remove the folders inside the copy like in the system above and then install these separate copied packages in the same order in JSGME. In the example here, you would first copy TMOwTw 2.5 package, then remove the folders as told above, then repeat with OTC for TMO2.5, then repeat for '1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9_TMO'; finally you install these modifed packages in the order intended by the mod.

You will play with all the functionality of the mods above, also the grafics and interiors, but with the stock campaign and without the sea, air or land units added by the mod.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-20-20 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 02:24 PM   #9
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Hi,

another way to get where you want to go, i.e. a bare bones install, is to use Vickers03 original mods. He redid all the sub interiors, they work with stock and it is the interiors TMO uses. All are available in his profile under the "download" tab. They work out of the box with GFO.
Old 05-20-20, 02:46 PM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Hi,

(...)
They work out of the box with GFO.

That's very good to know, thank you Bilge_Rat

XS
Old 05-20-20, 03:08 PM   #11
FotRSU Mod Team
Team Leader

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 3

As information: Be aware that Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition uses edited ship types in the mod. Some battelships are still Type=11, but some are 19. Same with the CA, CL, DD, DE, FF, etc. Just about every Class of ship has several changes made to it. Changing to a Stock campaign would work, if all ships were GENERIC calls, but they are not.
Old 05-20-20, 04:33 PM   #12
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotRSU Mod Team View Post
As information: Be aware that Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition uses edited ship types in the mod. Some battelships are still Type=11, but some are 19. Same with the CA, CL, DD, DE, FF, etc. Just about every Class of ship has several changes made to it. Changing to a Stock campaign would work, if all ships were GENERIC calls, but they are not.

Thanks, I appreciate you take the time to respond here! To say the truth, I will not tweak your mod for long because I don't want to miss the marvellous changes and units added and so much more I possibly could throw over board by doing my system above, a horrible idea For the moment I have removed the Sea and Roster folder (except the submarines inside obviously), plus I have modded the flottila.upc and CarrerStart.upc to have the Narwhal and Tench class sub in the stock campaign, and FORTSU runs fine up to now by spawning only stock units during campaign; some ID book units will be without image but will not cause the game to crash. With any big problems I would simply re-add those folders but still keeping the campaign folders away, but according to what you just say, this may not work either - and I wouldn't mind really, your mod is fantastic and doesn't deserve that change - it only accomodates my personal playing style. On the other side, playing the stock game but with the FORTSU interiors alone (and all clickable items) is a boost for SH4 on its own!

I now realize that my text in the previous post above (where I say that I tested and it works for FOTRSU) could falsly mean that FOTRSU is up to grasp for any changes. While this may in practise be the case, I don't want to advertise for it, therefore I will remove that entry in the post above.

Best greetings and go ahead with your excellent work on FOTRSU

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-20-20 at 05:09 PM.