Closed Thread

Old 01-26-10, 05:18 PM   #151
roman2440
Seaman

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk065 View Post
Sorry but why should i pay for a game that pauses (even if it is just one or two time a session) when i could have the choice of uniterupted gameplay. This would effect immersion and would kill my experience. Its comparable to a major bug in my book. If they are going to implement it, make sure it does not detract from gameplay.
A connection that cannot reliably handle an occasional keep alive packet is really a thing of the past for 98+% of the gamer population today. A wireless connection can handle it just fine - if there is a hickup its going to be a very minor thing. Yes there are some people where this will break their immersion because they've got a poor ISP, but that number is dwindling smaller and smaller by the day.

Why should a developer restrict its design to account for the 1-2% that don't have a reliable connection? You have a choice, you can choose not to buy the product - if your setup can't handle it then likely this is not the product for you. But I'd be willing to bet that only 1-2% of the prospective customers would have a connection that would regularly have a problem.

Look, if you've got a problem with it, fine, don't buy the game(s). However realize that the days of gaming without an internet connection is numbered and that a boycott on principle is meaningless (you'll never get anywhere close to a serious dent in sales).
Old 01-26-10, 05:19 PM   #152
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

I have a solid net connection, I have never had trouble with online DRMs.. I have been using them for years.

The biggest games in the world require online play.. no amount of forum whining will change the view a production company sees. MMOs have MILLIONS of subscriptions and every one playing on a real copy. No corporate bean counter will ever see past that!

The biggest thing I hear about online DRMs is.. "but if my net goes down I can't play the game I own!!". Yeah.... well to set this straight, you don't own software. In the legal sense you are a "Licensed User" not an "Owner".. HUGE difference. When you click Yes and Next without reading during an install, you are passing the EULA which is a legal contract. When you say "Yes" to that page you are signing a contract. If you chose to sign contracts without reading them, then you have no right to bitch.
Old 01-26-10, 05:21 PM   #153
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That's an interesting question. Actually there will be no Silent Hunter 6 when the transition is complete. There will only be Silent Hunter, a continually evolving and improving game. It will automatically update itself every time you start the game.
if this were true then you can forget any and all mods of any kind and along with that it means since the state of how unfinished UBI games are and continue to be in when released, it means they arent worth playing in that condition without mods.

they were produced by UBI but it is the mod community that finished sh3 and sh4 games for UBI and it is the mod community who made them good games worthy of the popularity and following they enjoy.

Old 01-26-10, 05:21 PM   #154
Hanomag
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13
UGH..! RR.

Could you put that in idiot terms for the mentally less fortunate like myself?

Is that yea or nay for DRM??

"Only if I can save first..."
Old 01-26-10, 05:26 PM   #155
jclasper
Swabbie

Downloads: 153

I have very stable 24/7 connection but have no desire for online connection to play or store any part of my games
Once i purcase a game then i should not be told if or when i can play it
Guess for the time being im sticking with 3 and 4 and pre order now cancelled
Old 01-26-10, 05:27 PM   #156
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
I have a solid net connection, I have never had trouble with online DRMs.. I have been using them for years.

The biggest games in the world require online play.. no amount of forum whining will change the view a production company sees. MMOs have MILLIONS of subscriptions and every one playing on a real copy. No corporate bean counter will ever see past that!
But we are not playing an MMO here. There is a slight difference between a single player game which basically require not outside input, and a game that massively relies on server data that tells your client where everybody is and what they do.

And yes, I do have a constant internet connection, but I do object to a connection over that I have no control and do not know what is send.

Furthermore, server side stored save games is total BS. I wont agree to that either until I see what exactly is stored.
Old 01-26-10, 05:35 PM   #157
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomen View Post
relies on server data that tells your client where everybody is and what they do.
If they was going to utilize something like that in SH5 I might consider it worth the time.
Old 01-26-10, 05:35 PM   #158
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66

I am a SIMmer at heart. looks like i might hve to give up on simming and get a new Hobby.
I have startet getting into the PC business because i want to keep playing, but the pay is miserable, and a proper internet connection costs me 10-12 percent of my pay . I do not see that haoppening.

SHIII and a second or third GF is the Future, Sex is more fun than SHV, and condoms are cheaper anyway. Depending n how much i need.
Bye gaming... Welcome, Ladies!
Old 01-26-10, 05:36 PM   #159
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That's an interesting question. Actually there will be no Silent Hunter 6 when the transition is complete. There will only be Silent Hunter, a continually evolving and improving game. It will automatically update itself every time you start the game.

You can see the future in operation any time you want by playing Runescape at runescape.com. There's a game that is completely different from when RS2 was introduced five years ago. There is no version number. Once a week they push out an update and when you start the game it loads all updates without any interaction from you at all. Runescape could never exist in a drink coaster world, even as a single player game. It is a perfect example of the advantages of evolution over game versions.

Game versions are necessary because of the frozen state of a DVD or CD, not because of any other reason. Liberating the game from the drink coaster is the key to a quantum leap in quality, more income for the game company, developers who can work for years and years on a single game. We're about at the peak of quality a drink coaster game can deliver. Yes, they can jazz up the graphics, hurriedly add a feature or two, but they will introduce dozens and dozens of consequential bugs in the process.

Once the drink coasters are sold, income from the game ceases, just as patch maintenance costs ramp up. With no income to pay for it, the game company will always tend to give us just enough of a patch that we won't completely revolt. We're left with "rudder....rudder" for rudder amidships.

None of this has to be. Future games will be infinitely better than what we have now because the business model of gaming will change to give us what we require. Some of us will foolishly catastrophise. Some of us still drive horse-drawn buggies as well. Please scrape up the horse poop from the road.

As far as fast and reliable internet connections, ten years ago, most of us didn't have one. The customer always gets what he wants. Those of us who have good high speed connections have it because customers demanded it, not because phone companies and cable companies wanted to provide it.

Just like your cheap and fast as blue blazes computer, this capability will be financed by people with a lot more money than sense, who will pay ten times the cost you're willing to pay to get the system up and running. Think the first iPhones. Thank God for rich people. They make possible all the toys we enjoy for cheap. We need more rich people.

The Internet of the future will make ALL our connections seem slow and unreliable. It will come because applications demand it. SH5 and future games that will be Internet based will be important parts of making the Internet of the future possible. You don't see it now, but it's going to be freakin' GREAT! Those who complain the loudest now will be its strongest supporters.
RR I have the perfect game for you then.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
Old 01-26-10, 05:37 PM   #160
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl View Post
Is this some talk from authority from someone working in the gaming industry or is this just some baseless fantasy?
Watch and learn!
Old 01-26-10, 05:41 PM   #161
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Someone please save me the hassle of reading the whole forum and tell me if this has been officially confirmed for SH5 or not?
Old 01-26-10, 05:43 PM   #162
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66

Yep, OLC...Yep.
Old 01-26-10, 05:59 PM   #163
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
I'm of the same mind. My net connection is always on, so that's not a problem. I am concerned a bit with my savegames being on the Ubi server, but so long as it works as advertised, I guess I'll be ok.

But if it becomes a problem, then all bets are off. But on the surface, and if all works as advertised, it should be ok for me.
Yes, how it functions remains to be seen. I think those are legitimate concerns. The only games I currently play that require online connection are Steam games, afaik. I have never had a problem playing those. Ideally, an online copy protection scheme would have some provision for offline play, maybe a timer or x number of offline sessions... and of course, I want some assurance that the game will become independant of the publisher at some point in the future.
Old 01-26-10, 06:04 PM   #164
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
The only games I currently play that require online connection are Steam games, afaik. I
Almost all (Les than four exceptions) steam games can be played in offline mode.
Old 01-26-10, 06:07 PM   #165
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

I hate the online part of BF2142. I'll fire up a map for testing and run about offline, on my own computer, all by myself, and all of a sudden I'm booted to the main menu with the explanation that "connection to the EA master server has been lost".

But I'll reserve judgment until I get to actually try it out, and if it can reduce piracy, so much the better .
Closed Thread