Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-19, 11:46 AM   #1
CTPAHHNK88
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
radar 688i Hunter Killer vs Dangerous Waters

Hello ladies and gents, I'm new to naval sims (more of a flight sim guy), but would love to learn more about nuclear subs. Really enjoying dangerous waters so far, but the ratio of fun/boring missions is not as high as I would like. I was wondering if any of you have tried 688i Hunter Killer on WIndows 10 and which one do you think is better?
Cheers

CTPAHHNK88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 12:38 PM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Dangerous Waters is a strict upgrade, in my opinion. 688(I) H/K is rather old at this point and certain functionality you take for granted in DW is absent from 688(I), like the use of mouse wheel scrolling on maps is absent in 688(I). It does have some interesting features that DW does not have (plotting a history of the depth beneath the keel, panning around the control room), but nowhere near enough for me to recommend a game two generations older than DW in an either/or scenario. Sub Command, the sequel to 688(I) and prequel to DW, has some fun Cold War-type campaigns that are all purely sub based, which you can play in Dangerous Waters.

There are also a lot of good third-party scenarios for DW on this website here: Dangerous Waters Custom Scenarios

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 02:00 PM   #3
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

688 H/K have better looking sinking model - ships can split to 2 parts
Old 05-07-19, 02:47 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

CTPAHHNK88!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 02:48 PM   #5
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Aktungbby
Old 05-08-19, 11:45 AM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

688i (Jane's) is the grandfather of DW. What's on the disk is what you get but its still a great way to learn the basics. No mods to worry about, I don't recall ever seeing mods, but what you get is fairly stout.
There are some features in 688i that were dropped on later versions of the basic game (3d control room, port load outs, your friendly squadron commander ) and the 3D tends to be a little clunky (this was back in the Win95 days and I started calling the 688 3D model the "USS DuKey"). But I started playing 688i a couple of years after I left the Navy and I was impressed.
Sonalysts got a lot of the basics right and the canned missions and campaign were well designed and thought out (the campaign was based on a post-cold-war world and felt pretty accurate).

Sub Command and Dangerous Waters came out later on, but its uncanny how true those games stayed to 688i.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 01:51 PM   #7
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > CTPAHHNK88
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 08:27 AM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

A Warm Welcome To This Thread > THEBERBSTER
Old 05-13-19, 03:27 PM   #9
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The amount of people "welcoming" a new person by screaming the donations page at them is too damned high on this forum. And it's getting disgusting.
Old 05-13-19, 03:49 PM   #10
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
The amount of people "welcoming" a new person by screaming the donations page at them is too damned high on this forum. And it's getting disgusting.
exactly!

2 guys (post counters) does this in every first post of new user - but reporting this as spam is ignored. So i did this too for highlighting "bad taste" of this procedure.

You should join me - otherwise this will be still ignored by "real" moderators
Old 05-14-19, 04:30 PM   #11
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
exactly!

2 guys (post counters) does this in every first post of new user - but reporting this as spam is ignored. So i did this too for highlighting "bad taste" of this procedure.

You should join me - otherwise this will be still ignored by "real" moderators
I'm glad I'm not alone in this too. But they aren't going to stop doing anything that lines their pockets as it were.

It's a shame too, this forums used to be great. But this garbage is just another in a long list of gripes I have, and have heard from the best content makers as to why they no longer grace this place with their shadow.
Old 12-22-19, 07:10 AM   #12
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
I'm glad I'm not alone in this too. But they aren't going to stop doing anything that lines their pockets as it were.

It's a shame too, this forums used to be great. But this garbage is just another in a long list of gripes I have, and have heard from the best content makers as to why they no longer grace this place with their shadow.

I have to agree with you guys. I haven't visited here in quite a while and all these donation spam posts are annoying.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
688i, dangerous waters, hunter killer