Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-14-16, 02:57 AM   #1
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Your Neighbourhood

STEED at home

Whenever I look at someone's Profile page for the first time, the thing I most like to know is where they live.

Some regular contributors' neighbourhoods are already familiar, because they sometimes post about them and they are beautiful.

I don't want you to tell me where you actually live, instead I just want to know what you see when you look around outside your place of residence; do you see a busy cityscape, a quiet old town, flat farmlands (such as I do) or woodlands, or maybe you live in a shed on an allotment, like STEED, and see rows of vegetables. Think of the area say about a mile radius; what's it like where you live?

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 09-14-16 at 04:32 AM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 04:35 AM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Great topic, pictures would be nice
Old 09-14-16, 04:36 AM   #3
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

I live in a bog-standard 'village' in North Kent. I'm surrounded by a mix of 1970's houses, 1900's cottages built for the workers of the local paper mill and a varied assortment of decent folk, chavs and n'er-do-wells. There is motorway access just up the road, a train station 5 mins walk away, and if you want to drive for 10 mins in the right direction you quickly find yourself in the Kent countryside with fields and old country pubs in quaint villages.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 04:55 AM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Surrounded mostly by flats, but also bunch of greenery; patches of forest etc.

Within a 5-15 minutes walking distance I have: a bar, grill/pub, kiosk, beach, two grocery stores, drug store and a hospital, so that's convenient.

View from the window:

Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 05:13 AM   #5
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

After years living next door to a bunch of kids whose stereo was confiscated every Saturday morning by the police, I now live in a place where the most noisy thing is the rare lawnmower. That change sure did not hurt.

Around here there are family homes and more family homes with (somewhat) well kept gardens. Got a nice view over the river and the quay where the cargo ships (and the odd cruise ship) dock. On a better day I can see several km towards the islands down south. Hop on the bus for a 10 minutes drive to town and the shops and I say that's central enough for me. Train station 15 minutes drive away, airport about half an hour for a few more weeks before they close (thank you, politicians for playing your little games).
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 05:22 AM   #6
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon12

^^ @Dowly: grill/barbecue spot looks nice

No photos here, but second-last house on a dead-end street, rest around is woods, one half preserve area, the other water preserve.
Half an hour to Hannover, all necessary facilities like five different groceries, six restaurants, two drugstores, also several doctors plus veterinaries, all within walking range. But no hospital, 30 minutes away by car.

All else like on Steed's photo, but the door has no hinges and it's a bit wetter (catfish like that).
OT if someone gets a direct message from me is it called carp DM ?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 06:43 AM   #7
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

When I look out my front door:

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

" What A Wonderful World "

Louis Armstrong

Seriously, That's not far from the truth as I'm in the countryside.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 06:48 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

My place of abode (already posted numerous pictures) is situated on a small private housing estate (six cul-de-sacs) situated half a mile from a large (once industrial) river and less than two miles from a harbour entrance and the coastline.

Shops and plentiful amenities are only a few hundred metres distance and a vibrant town centre (population in and around the area is approximately 65,000) a mile or so away.

The nearest cities being Sunderland seven miles and Newcastle ten miles, the airport sixteen miles.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 07:00 AM   #9
Osmium Steele
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 22

We live in a nice, small housing subdivision. The Grand Rapids metro area is north of us, about 15 minutes on the highway. East, west, and south, farmland with the occasional housing development thrown in.

We're small town, but just on the edge of the big town.

My U297 build thread
Osmium Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 07:11 AM   #10
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default My contribution:

About 50 yards from my house

As you can see, it's very flat here and that's because I live on...

The Wash, a sort of incursion of The North Sea, around which the reclaimed land is known as the fens. Reclamation began as early as Roman times, and then later the influence of the Dutch on the engineering of the landscape means that it now resembles The Netherlands, the roads often raised up on embankments with steep-sided dykes (known as drains) on either side: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wash

This is a photo I took of our local bird reserve on the nearby marsh.

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 09-14-16 at 11:36 AM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 09:16 AM   #11
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Much like mine Mr Squirrel.
10 yards from my front garden gate is the entrance to the local fishing pond.

Looking back and left of the pond, typical view of my area of the village.

Continue on about 10 minutes and to the right of the pond is the local golf course.

Am I looking at images of a living death or am I already dead and this is my penance.
Old 09-14-16, 09:48 AM   #12
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

@Eichhörnchen and Moonlight:
Stunning landscape there. Are you 2 aware that it is a criminal offence having access to that sort of area and not being there flying rc toys? At least it should be a criminal offence.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 10:21 AM   #13
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Rain Day! by Rodrigo Pinto, no Flickr
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 12:11 PM   #14
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Yes I was looking forward to your post, Rhodes. Great photography, as always.

@ Von Due... there is a thriving R/C scene up here owing, I expect, to all the defunct wartime airfields (Lincolnshire is known as "Bomber County").
Old 09-14-16, 12:32 PM   #15
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

It's quite nice around here, a bit more people around than the last house, but we're on the edge of the estate, overlooking a playing field which is primarily used by the odd dog walker so that's nice. Block of flats on one side and the other terrace houses on the other, both sides are quite good folk, there's a couple of loud stereotypes a few doors down but compared to what it could be like it's not too bad, certainly better than where I lived briefly in Snodland which was right on a main street of a chavtastic town (back before the term chav had even been brought into the mainstream consciousness).
The local area is a fairly traditional industrial town, once for a manufacturing works (Garretts) and then for the local Nuclear Power Station which looms on the close horizon over the town (that reminds me, need to see about getting the iodine tablets that the people in this town are given for free...just in case.) There is a railway line which hasn't seen passenger traffic for exactly fifty years, but up until very recently used to get the occasional flask train to the NPP (and just my luck, the trains stopped just before I moved in, since my house is right next to the line )
One thing I do like about the neighbourhood is the prevalence of feline friends, which gives me hope for when we eventually get another cat that this is an area which is safe for them. Here's a couple of friends I made on my way back from the shops (which is a bit of a stroll, but I need the exercise) not long after we moved in:

Also...oddly enough considering how many cats there are around here...there's a pretty thriving wildlife group, including this little fella who visited last weekend, and a hedgehog who I found in the garden on the way out to work last night.

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote