SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-22-16, 03:02 PM   #1
RevReese
Watch

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 0
Default RSRDC TMO V502 compatible with TMO 2.5?

Hi!,
I have just installed TMO 2.5 and will probably be spending the rest of the weekend beneath the waves.

But then I heard about RSRDC and liked the sound of its historical nature (I have spent the last couple of hours reading forum threads debating TMO Vs RSRDC and am undecided).
I understand that RSRDC V502 was compatible with an older version of TMO.
I am still fairly confused on the matter though, is RSRDC V502 compatible with TMO 2.5?

I only recently discovered that I can have multiple installs which would have allowed me to test this but I have already modded my game.

So in your opinion, should I stick with TMO 2.5 and the dynamic campaign, or give RSRDC TMO V502 a try if it is compatible?

I have also downloaded RFB 2.0 to try at some later point as I have read that it is more realism focused than TMO and I would like to try that as well!
I am too spoilt for choice! I am fairly new to SHIV so am looking for something that is as immersive, realistic and historical as possible, yet is not going to kill me in one hit first time out!

If it matters, I am currently playing SHIII with GWX 3.0 and a scattering of smaller mods and loving it!

Thank you for your time!
RevReese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-16, 05:11 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevReese View Post
Hi!,
I have just installed TMO 2.5 and will probably be spending the rest of the weekend beneath the waves.

But then I heard about RSRDC and liked the sound of its historical nature (I have spent the last couple of hours reading forum threads debating TMO Vs RSRDC and am undecided).
I understand that RSRDC V502 was compatible with an older version of TMO.
I am still fairly confused on the matter though, is RSRDC V502 compatible with TMO 2.5?

I only recently discovered that I can have multiple installs which would have allowed me to test this but I have already modded my game.

So in your opinion, should I stick with TMO 2.5 and the dynamic campaign, or give RSRDC TMO V502 a try if it is compatible?

I have also downloaded RFB 2.0 to try at some later point as I have read that it is more realism focused than TMO and I would like to try that as well!
I am too spoilt for choice! I am fairly new to SHIV so am looking for something that is as immersive, realistic and historical as possible, yet is not going to kill me in one hit first time out!

If it matters, I am currently playing SHIII with GWX 3.0 and a scattering of smaller mods and loving it!

Thank you for your time!
First of all, RSRDC is compatible with TMO v2.5. RSRDC is all about the Campaign files and has to be installed via the JSGME over TMO. It is not a separate mod. Fo more info on RSRDC you should go here.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-16, 07:27 AM   #3
RevReese
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
First of all, RSRDC is compatible with TMO v2.5. RSRDC is all about the Campaign files and has to be installed via the JSGME over TMO. It is not a separate mod. Fo more info on RSRDC you should go here.
That was what I was hoping for! thanks for the clarification!
I did look through that thread you linked and was still unsure.
So it is okay to overwrite TMO files using JSGME?

So to clarify:

SH4 1.5 -- TMO 2.5 -- RSRDC V502 -- RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1 --TMO_RSRDC_OTC_ISP Crew Mod (TMO small patch included).

I am still on the fence about whether to stick with the TMO campaign or install and run RSRDC now I know it is compatible!

What would you recommend for a relative newbie?

Last edited by RevReese; 10-23-16 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-23-16, 03:54 PM   #4
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

It's not only compatible, it completely changes some of the features of TMO so that you're not playing TMO anymore when you add RSRDC to it. As Rockin' Robbins stated elsewhere, RSRDC is like an ALIEN infesting the good work of the TMO MOD. Basically the RSRDC MOD changes MUCH MORE of the TMO MOD than just the campaign files as you would think would be the case.

Examine some of the RSRDC files that will be loaded after the TMO installation... Even without delving into the contents you will see that RSRDC is overlaying a lot of files that are not just campaign file(s) related. If you dig even deeper and do a file compare, you will also see the smokin' gun proof of the intentional RSRDC modification of the non campaign TMO files.

Play TMO by itself OR RSRDC by itself, but don't expect the combination to be TMO on steroids with RSRDC accuracy. What you get instead is the RSRDC MOD riding the coattails of the TMO MOD's gameplay reputation, while at the same time removing those same gameplay features that TMO's reputation is built around.

Do a forum search for more on the subject!

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-16, 12:49 PM   #5
RevReese
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
It's not only compatible, it completely changes some of the features of TMO so that you're not playing TMO anymore when you add RSRDC to it. As Rockin' Robbins stated elsewhere, RSRDC is like an ALIEN infesting the good work of the TMO MOD. Basically the RSRDC MOD changes MUCH MORE of the TMO MOD than just the campaign files as you would think would be the case.

Examine some of the RSRDC files that will be loaded after the TMO installation... Even without delving into the contents you will see that RSRDC is overlaying a lot of files that are not just campaign file(s) related. If you dig even deeper and do a file compare, you will also see the smokin' gun proof of the intentional RSRDC modification of the non campaign TMO files.

Play TMO by itself OR RSRDC by itself, but don't expect the combination to be TMO on steroids with RSRDC accuracy. What you get instead is the RSRDC MOD riding the coattails of the TMO MOD's gameplay reputation, while at the same time removing those same gameplay features that TMO's reputation is built around.

Do a forum search for more on the subject!
Thank you for your reply.
I did a lot of forum reading and did come to that conclusion in the end based on reading arguments for and against.
I think I will stick with just TMO for now but will consider using just RSRDC by itself for a later campaign.

Thanks again for the replies!
Old 09-03-20, 07:41 PM   #6
4H_Ccrashh
Helmsman

Downloads: 469

Actually not compatible.

There is one mission that locks up the game. I had a Sargo class boat in the Asiatic fleet. My orders were to go patrol the San Bernardino Straights. On the first day of the mission I'm cruising to my objective and at precisely 2130 the mission locks up. I thought it must be my mods so I dumped every mod except Trigger Maru and RSRDC. Mission locked up every time,,, at the exact same time. Something is triggered at that point in the mission that TMO is not ready to accept. ..

Thinking this might be a glitch I reinstalled SH4 with TMO and RSRDC. Every mission loaded and played past the 2130 mark.

After over 30 minutes of over and over starting new campaigns,, I finally got that San Bernardino Straight mission.

At 2130 on the first day out of Cavite,, boom,, locked up.
4H_Ccrashh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sh4 shiv rsrdc tmo rfb