SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-10, 11:04 AM   #16
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Just discovered this one. If I understand right this is a heavily armed ship which looks like a poor merchant?
Old 05-26-10, 11:12 AM   #17
nemo7
Weps

Downloads: 389
Default Q Ship fire upon us

Great mod.

Check one of these bloody demons from my periscope view.

Last edited by nemo7; 05-26-10 at 11:24 AM.
nemo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 01:16 PM   #18
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
Just discovered this one. If I understand right this is a heavily armed ship which looks like a poor merchant?
That is correct H....so don't go expecting to be invited aboard for tea and crumpets

http://www.filefront.com/13494151/Q_Ship_mod_GWX3.0.7z

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 02:53 PM   #19
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
That is correct H....so don't go expecting to be invited aboard for tea and crumpets

http://www.filefront.com/13494151/Q_Ship_mod_GWX3.0.7z
I seem to encounter an inordinate number of these considering how few were actually in service during the war. Was it 7? 9? IIRC there weren't all that many plying their deceptive trade in the North Atlantic. Have run into two on one patrol at least a coupla times.

They're especialy fun since my preferred tactic with lone merchants (unless other factors make a guns-only attack possible, or use of guns impossible) is to line up a submerged attack and put one eel in 'em and then surface to finish 'em off with the deck gun. Really gets the adrenalin going when you've just hit the surface and suddenly get the "we're under attack" message and hear their guns start firing! Which they WILL do even if they're in the process of sinking, the buggas.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 03:23 PM   #20
h.sie
Admiral

if that ship really appears too often, what about using SH3-Cmdr's. random folder function to randomize the presence of the file SCF.cfg in the Roster/British and Roster/American folder on each start of SH3?
Old 05-26-10, 03:29 PM   #21
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
if that ship really appears too often, what about using SH3-Cmdr's. random folder function to randomize the presence of the file SCF.cfg in the Roster/British and Roster/American folder on each start of SH3?
Eh, I'm not all that concerned about it appearing too often. It makes things more interesting when it does. I just think it's funny that I always seem to run into at least one of them on every patrol given how few of them were actually out there historically.

Of all the grids in all the oceans in all the world, they have to sail into mine...
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 03:53 PM   #22
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Good idea but what I'd really think was more worthwhile would be if it was possible to randomise the actual merchant mod.

Old 05-26-10, 05:44 PM   #23
pickinthebanjo
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 282

Ran into one at 50m in the dark (My tactic for early war merchants) , got my luetenant killed
pickinthebanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 06:45 PM   #24
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinthebanjo View Post
Ran into one at 50m in the dark (My tactic for early war merchants) , got my luetenant killed
You probably got off lightly

Old 05-27-10, 02:35 AM   #25
h.sie
Admiral

Hi Jim,

I am still working on the actual merchant mod (you mean the saerchlight thing, right?) but before publishing it there are some things to be tested. I have only 1-2 hours in the evenings for SH3.

Will be ready maybe this weekend.

h.sie
Old 05-27-10, 02:50 AM   #26
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Quote:
I'm not sure that's possible but would be happy to be told I'm wrong.
AFAIK you can use SH3 COmmander to add lines and replace lines but not to delete them.

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 03:00 AM   #27
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi,

I guess you can just copy a file without the line.

However, I guess you run into save-game problems. I doubt randomizing ships during a patrol would be save-game compatible. Using the randomization of SH3Commander means basically activating and deactivating mods during patrols. So, one should be really careful about what can be changed out of port and what not. Would love to get precise information about that.

Best, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 03:02 AM   #28
h.sie
Admiral

Hi WB,

F_ck, i fear you are right.... but maybe it could work to replace an existing text file by an empty one? To be tested....

Or to replace the *.cfg file by a file with references to a different merchant ship type? But not a nice workaround.

EDIT: LGN1 is right. No good idea. I forgot about the savegame problem.

The random folder function in SH3Cmdr. is very good, but not very flexible I think. For my randomize searchlight mod e.g. I need 100 folders to achieve a probability of 1% for a single ship.

If one now additionally wants to randomize something different with a probability of, let's say, 50%, one has to add the appropriate files in 50 of these 100 folders.
Old 05-27-10, 03:21 AM   #29
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi,

I agree: the random folder feature is nice, but not very flexible. If you want to have several different aspects randomized, but not correlated, the number of required folders becomes very quickly very large

It would be great if Commander had the following three features:

1) Copy specified files with a certain probability (similar to the 'Randomized event.cfg' way)

2) Randomize only in port and keep over complete patrol (I guess difficult because of missing 'memory' feature and several Kaleuns in parallel)

3) Correlated events in Randomized events.cfg, i.e., several files are changed together with some probability (would allow to issue warnings via menu...txt about malfunctions made in *.sim files).

Anyway, Commander is already great and I am not sure whether these features are worth the work for JScones.

Best, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 03:25 AM   #30
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Hi WB,

F_ck, i fear you are right.... but maybe it could work to replace an existing text file by an empty one? To be tested....

Or to replace the *.cfg file by a file with references to a different merchant ship type? But not a nice workaround.

EDIT: LGN1 is right. No good idea. I forgot about the savegame problem.

The random folder function in SH3Cmdr. is very good, but not very flexible I think. For my randomize searchlight mod e.g. I need 100 folders to achieve a probability of 1% for a single ship.

If one now additionally wants to randomize something different with a probability of, let's say, 50%, one has to add the appropriate files in 50 of these 100 folders.
If you're using the random folder function then you could place the whole Q-ship mod into 25 of your 100 folders. It wouldn't solve the problem of sometimes seeing multiple Q-ships in a single patrol but it would mean that you'd only see one on average every fourth patrol.

@jimbuna - may we have permission to use your Q-ship mod to create a randomisation effect so there are less of them out there?

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote