SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-03-09, 01:31 AM   #1
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 226
Uploads: 2
Default Silent Hunter IV: Sitting on the Bottom

I was watching a TV show called Weaponology on the Military Channel and I heard an account of a submariner who was in shallow waters attacking a convoy. They got a freighter from the convoy and had to submerge after a destroyer attacked them. Anyway, a man who was on the submarine is still alive today. However, after they were attacked by the destroyer, they submerged and sat on the bottom. Their submarine was not harmed after sitting on the bottom for 8 hours. They got out of there after being on the bottom and having 2 destroyers depth charge them incessantly.

If you did that in Silent Hunter IV, you'd hear the whiny screams of "WE'RE TAKING DAMAGE SIR!" "MEDIC!" and "WE HAVE FLOODING SIR!" Why can't we do that or change that? It would be nice, because I could hit the bottom of the sea and be depth charged and avoid getting pounded as much. I wonder if we can fix this.

It would rock. I can just hit the bottom and avoid getting the crap pounded out of me, or being cut in two by a destroyer. Whichever. Anyway, can we change the physics? Apparently, Ubisoft does not think that this is possible, even though it is to sit on the bottom with a submarine and avoid sonar detectio and it's been done, why can't we do it? I just don't know why. Unless there are mods for it.
Patchman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 06:59 AM   #2
Trool323
Sparky

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

The Japanese had early poor ASDIC or active sonor untill late in the war. So they probaby had problems detecting a ship apart from the ocean bottom untill late in the war when Tech got better. Unfortunately the SH4 game engine AI dosent care if your on the bottom or not. As far as I know it can't be changed.

the clip on youtube was cool.......
Trool323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 11:29 AM   #3
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Just keep in mind that in the pacific in 'shallow' water all they would have to do to spot you is look over the side

Tags
attack, bottom, hunter, silent, submarine