SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
John Pancoast
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,438
Downloads: 316
Uploads: 0
Default Red Storm Rising Damage Repair

How is this done ? Can't find a key command to do it and messing with various keys doesn't do anything either.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
kgsuarez
Planesman
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 181
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

It has been a while since I played, but I don't recall being able to repair damage at sea. Looking at my manual, it looks like all you can do is check the damage report with the "b" key. If you want to repair the damage then you have to go back to port. During your refitting in port all damage will be repaired.


I don't think this detracts from the gameplay and it is probably more realistic this way. In reality, a hit from a modern weapon is likely to sink the sub outright. So if the sub survives the hit then it would make sense that the damage would be so severe that it would require that repairs be made in port.


This is a great old game. Much better than any of the modern games, in my opinion. In this game my main priority is always the safety of my ship, so I rarely get hit. If I do get hit and receive damage I immediately head back to port to get it repaired. Limping home from a brush with death is part of the fun.


In case you don't have them, you can find all the manuals and maps for download here: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/48...rm+Rising.html
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
John Pancoast
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,438
Downloads: 316
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsuarez View Post
It has been a while since I played, but I don't recall being able to repair damage at sea. Looking at my manual, it looks like all you can do is check the damage report with the "b" key. If you want to repair the damage then you have to go back to port. During your refitting in port all damage will be repaired.


I don't think this detracts from the gameplay and it is probably more realistic this way. In reality, a hit from a modern weapon is likely to sink the sub outright. So if the sub survives the hit then it would make sense that the damage would be so severe that it would require that repairs be made in port.


This is a great old game. Much better than any of the modern games, in my opinion. In this game my main priority is always the safety of my ship, so I rarely get hit. If I do get hit and receive damage I immediately head back to port to get it repaired. Limping home from a brush with death is part of the fun.


In case you don't have them, you can find all the manuals and maps for download here: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/48...rm+Rising.html
Yes, figured it out thanks. It is an outstanding game. Only thing I wished it had was a mouse driven interface vs. the keyboard one but no big deal.

Have you tried Cold Waters yet ?
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
XenonSurf
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany, Italy
Posts: 1,579
Downloads: 99
Uploads: 3
Default

Repairs are done automatically by the crew, just a damage report screen with B key. You cannot influence what is repaired or not I think, the report screen is just for info. Most of the time damages are permanent and not repaired until you return at port, this depends on the difficulty level I think.


XS
XenonSurf is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #5
John Pancoast
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,438
Downloads: 316
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Repairs are done automatically by the crew, just a damage report screen with B key. You cannot influence what is repaired or not I think, the report screen is just for info. Most of the time damages are permanent and not repaired until you return at port, this depends on the difficulty level I think.


XS
Yes, this is exactly how it works, thanks.
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
kgsuarez
Planesman
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 181
Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Yes, figured it out thanks. It is an outstanding game. Only thing I wished it had was a mouse driven interface vs. the keyboard one but no big deal.

Have you tried Cold Waters yet ?

I agree, it would be nice to be able to use the mouse more. However, if I recall correctly you can use the mouse when launching weapons. The target reticle can be moved around with the mouse, instead of the keyboard. That's a great feature because I can move the reticle around much quicker with the mouse.


I have not tried Cold Waters yet. I don't have much time to learn new games these days, so when I have the time I tend to stick to the classics that I already know and enjoy.



Personally, the simplicity of older games makes them much more fun. These old games run great in DOSBox. Everything loads quickly. The games themselves were expertly programmed and they never seem to crash or lock up like newer games.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
John Pancoast
The Old Man
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,438
Downloads: 316
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsuarez View Post
I agree, it would be nice to be able to use the mouse more. However, if I recall correctly you can use the mouse when launching weapons. The target reticle can be moved around with the mouse, instead of the keyboard. That's a great feature because I can move the reticle around much quicker with the mouse.


I have not tried Cold Waters yet. I don't have much time to learn new games these days, so when I have the time I tend to stick to the classics that I already know and enjoy.



Personally, the simplicity of older games makes them much more fun. These old games run great in DOSBox. Everything loads quickly. The games themselves were expertly programmed and they never seem to crash or lock up like newer games.

Exactly, couldn't agree more. Plus you don't have dozens of ctrl-esc-del-fn-shift-f1-enter-crossyourfingers key combos to learn
__________________
".....contrary to the accepted wisdom - and mythology - at no time did the German U-boat force ever come close to winning the "Battle of the Atlantic...."

- Clay Blair
John Pancoast is online   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2020 Subsim