SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-18-09, 04:13 AM   #106
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Tested it and everything seems to work perfectly

What a difference this makes in the game

But so far I only got it to work with OMEGU, if following your instructions to enable it in the stock game it didn't work. May be I did something wrong, may be not. I just mention this in case you are planning to release a "Do it Yourself" kit for modders to incorporate it into their own GUI mod.
Old 10-18-09, 11:07 AM   #107
B25
Swabbie

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default GW

Really great work Karamazow. A lot of us appreciate your afford.

I have a little suggestion before you finished final version.
Do You think, is not a good idea to place your dials to the left side of screen and let notepad right where originally was? So the result would be well distributed panels (similar to US): Notepad on right, "torpedo launch screen" on right bellow, YOUR GREAT ADDITIONAL DIALS (TDC) on left. And periscope view would be covered as minimal as possible.
Maybe then could be considered to change the sizes.

(1600*1200 pic http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4591/94781645.jpg)

As You can on the picture, german periscope view is balanced and give all needed information.
Periscop height (50% width, 100% height) - left
TDC (75% width, 75% height) - left [tested with recognition manual and very good]
Notepad (80% width, 80% height) - right
Torpedos (80% width, 80% height) - right below

PS: I am sorry for noncomplete TDC. Tested on TM 1.7, followed your instruction, edited menu_1024 and dials.cfg, but was only partially succesful. Anyway dials are functional, only background is missing.

PPS: But for those with wide screen the sizes of elements could be OK. It is upon you. Recover your health soon.

Last edited by B25; 10-18-09 at 12:58 PM.
B25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 12:07 PM   #108
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Tested it and everything seems to work perfectly

What a difference this makes in the game
This is a must have! Concur, working well with the following list.

Rel_SH4_Trans-Atlantic_Radio
Setup Trans-Atlantic Radio and BBC
OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_to_V715A
OMv715_patch1
OMEGU_v210
OMEGU_v210_Hotfix3
KiUB alpha 1.0
OM_Arct_Env

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-09, 09:56 AM   #109
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Thanks all, hope to have the alpha 2 version ready in 3 days.

B25, the tdc was originally on the left of the screen. I decided at the last second to move it to the right (and also mirroring the layout) because on 4:3 resolutions it covered the vertical periscope marks. I'll put the torpedo settings on the left since they don't need to be constantly up. Since all the items have scalable and relative size and position, they should be easy to move from one position to the other by simply making an offset or, better, playing with the parent position ratio. You only need to move the 0x26030000 object. Yet some items will behave incorrectly because the Pos and Line values will not all be correct. For example, if I move the 0x26030000 object 1 pixel to the right, I need to remake the Line position for all it's children to avoid any problems. And there are about 50 of them . And scaling is done just by changing the size of the main group (0x26030000).
BUT, there's always a BUT...

Problem nr1.: make sure that this file data/menu/gui/layout/bgr00.tga is transparent. I think yours is white and NOT transparent. It's used as an image for all invisible (but clickable) dials. I'll make a new one, so it won't be a problem anymore, I had no idea that TMO has a different bgr00.tga file...

Problem nr2: the TDC autoupdate button is not a button, it's a dial. The red/green bulb is not a bulb, it's a needle. It's center is, in my version, waaay to the right, somewhere above the bearing dial. When you click it, it rotates 180 degrees. The red bulb which was just offscreen, now moves into the correct position and the green bulb moves outside the screen . SO if you move the TDC to the left of the screen, you'll have to rework the needle to make the unwanted bulb go offscreen to the left, not to the right (just move the needle to the left, by an equal ammount of pixels to it's width).

Problem Nr3: this is where it hurts... at least it hurt me on my calculations. All the images in the game are made for 1024x768 resolution. The game dodges this problem on higher resolution by not scaling up the items (not all of them, just look how bad the periscope background looks at high res). But as you can see, my panel looks the same at any resolution (including widescreen). That's because the game stretches my images (I used 1 1 scaling values for all my items). I tried at first to use "1024x768" image but at high resolutions (I'm using 1920x1200) it looked like krap. So instead, I used 1920x1200 image files (cropped of course) so that they look best and unpixelated at the maximum resolution and are scaled down for the lower ones by the game, with an acceptable loss of information. My items have the exact same size in pixels as the image parts themselves multiplied by 0.64 (1024/1920=0.64). This way, even at 1024x768, the dials are still readable. But if you scale the thing down even by 10%, the game will have to rescale an already rescaled image... you won't be able to read them anymore at low resolution. In other words, the size is not some designer wish, it's demanded by readability Just to make you understand, I had to make the dials 5% bigger at one point because the white text on the AOB dial was completely blurred at 1024x768. And to either move or scale it, requires reworking the image files too. I'm not talking about "Image size" in photoshop, I'm talking about modifying 3d objects and rerendering and then reworking each item in the menu.ini file. Not an option for me, at least at this stage.

Last edited by karamazovnew; 10-19-09 at 12:09 PM.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-09, 11:34 AM   #110
Wilcke
The Old Man

Karamazovnew,

Believe you were responding to B25 post.

I am OK with TDC on the right. I never use the note pad.

I am running in a widescreen LCD and everything is scaling nicely, believe its a 1920 by 1080 res.

Well done and looking forward to Alpha 2!

Take care man.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php

Old 10-19-09, 12:10 PM   #111
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Edited . Sorry about that
Old 10-20-09, 09:28 AM   #112
B25
Swabbie

Downloads: 21

>> Karamazow,

understand your left/right considering.
I am curious, if there is no notepad than, how would you iniciate the stadimetr and the rest of notepad function?

nr.1 with bgr00.tga solved thanks to you. It was not transparent, now it is.

nr. 2 very funny solution of your TDC autoupdate button :-)). I have read about your problems with it, nice story man, hehe.

nr.3 about scaling: I will think about it.

>> Hitman,
I understood, that you do not use the stadimetr, right? How do you get the range?
Old 10-20-09, 10:23 AM   #113
karamazovnew
The Old Man

At the moment it's just an alpha version to show the progress. It isn't meant yet as a fully working targeting solution. There are 3 missing parts for that:
1. AOB wheel
2. Ship's length in recog manual (for speed)
3. Stadimeter
The stadimeter will work as a visual reference only. It will not show the angle or the estimated range. As in OLC's gui, ACM, or Manos (all for SH3), there will be an arbitrary system of periscope marks, linked to the AOB wheel. However, unlike in SH3 where we had to eyball it, here we have the split prism to help us, so don't worry, it will be featured in the final version.
Old 10-20-09, 01:55 PM   #114
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I understood, that you do not use the stadimetr, right? How do you get the range?
Basically there are two ways of doing it, as in real life Kaleuns did:

1.- By making a quick estimate of distance based on how much of the lense is covered by the target ship. F.e. if you see a 150 metres long ship covering the full field of view, it is at 1000 metres. If it covers half the FOV, it is at 2000, if only one third, at 3000, and so on. This is good for shooting when you are at very close range.

2.- By using the periscope vertical/horizontal scale. Sadly in SH3/SH4 it is hardcoded to display in degrees, and not in mils, as it was in real life. And that makes such quick calculations impossible. I have made my own custom reticle for the periscopes in mils, though, but it comes at the cost of losing some FOV to hide the old reticle.
Old 10-26-09, 07:51 AM   #115
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

any news Kara ? i like this silence but i said to myself to 'hurt' it a little bit !!

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 08:39 AM   #116
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Downloads: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by B25 View Post
Really great work Karamazow. A lot of us appreciate your afford.

I have a little suggestion before you finished final version.
Do You think, is not a good idea to place your dials to the left side of screen and let notepad right where originally was? So the result would be well distributed panels (similar to US): Notepad on right, "torpedo launch screen" on right bellow, YOUR GREAT ADDITIONAL DIALS (TDC) on left. And periscope view would be covered as minimal as possible.
Maybe then could be considered to change the sizes.

(1600*1200 pic http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4591/94781645.jpg)

As You can on the picture, german periscope view is balanced and give all needed information.
Periscop height (50% width, 100% height) - left
TDC (75% width, 75% height) - left [tested with recognition manual and very good]
Notepad (80% width, 80% height) - right
Torpedos (80% width, 80% height) - right below

PS: I am sorry for noncomplete TDC. Tested on TM 1.7, followed your instruction, edited menu_1024 and dials.cfg, but was only partially succesful. Anyway dials are functional, only background is missing.

PPS: But for those with wide screen the sizes of elements could be OK. It is upon you. Recover your health soon.
#####################################

Is it not possible to have outsid of the viewing window, a 3D model.
It may still possible mechanism outside the viewing window on the surface to make Transperente Tga one.
Underlying this is then the 3D Madell.
Old 10-27-09, 06:08 PM   #117
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Having some real life issues that prevent me from working on the mod . One of them is being 300km away from my main pc. On this laptop I can barely watch Star Trek. However, I promise that next week I'll have the Alpha 2 version up.

Tomi, I understand what you say, I've tried to do it at first, when I didn't know how to scale resolutions, but I didn't succeed and I don't think it's possible in SH4. They said that in SH5 the interface will be moddable through Python. If World Of Warcraft is any indication of what can be done with it, then we'll have a lot of freedom to integrate 3d and 2d interfaces. I myself would prefer no 2d interface whatsoever, but a better control of the cameras and a perfect crew order system. We'll see then.

By the way, I have a problem with the torpedo control panel. I mean the small one with buttons for torpedoes and the fire button. I want to integrate the open/close dial but that means that I need to deal with 3 separate types of dials:
- tube status (ready, loading, empty)
- selected tube
- opened/closed tube
I'm thinking about doing it this way:
- bulbs show the tube status, they will not have roman numbers on them.
- the separate labels (check the 3d version in the conning tower) will light up to show what tube has been selected
- switches similar to the 3d version to show opened/closed status.

But then there are other problems:
- first of all, I'm running out of screen space . I need to put all the torpedo items on one panel, on the left of the screen, both the settings, and the fire control. I would've prefered to have the fire control panel show up all the time but it would cover up the periscope depth dial and also, when extended, it would reach the center of the screen
- the opened/closed dial only updates when the transition from opened to closed has been made. That means that even if I find a way to allow you to click the switches to open/close the tubes (I'm yet to find out how to send parameters within the commands), there will be a 1-2 second delay until it updates. There are 2 sets of commands that allow this: Toggle_open_close_torpedo_tube and Open_torpedo_tube. Unlike the Open_sel_torpedo_tube, these 2 accept parameters (1 to 6, i think). But when attaching them to 3d objects, the Toggle one didn't work.
- Every time you switch from one tube to another, you automatically activate the "Close Tube" for the last selected tube, unless the Close command (or the Toggle command) is removed from the commands.cfg file. This however doesn't happen when you change the tubes with the torpedo selector dials (both single and salvo). SO.....

How about this:
- The fire control panel will sit under the settings panel and will only consist of the fire button and 6 bulbs (or 5 or 3, depending on the type of uboat), identical, with no roman numerals. You will not be able to click them and they will not indicate which tube is selected.
- There will be one label under each, and a switch under it to show which are opened and which closed.
- To select a tube or to see which tube is selected you'll have to use the torpedo selector dial (either the single or the salvo one).

I'd like your opinion on this: would it be a major inconvenience if you only switch tubes from this dial and there is no visual reference apart from the dial to show you wich tubes are selected?

Last edited by karamazovnew; 10-27-09 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 10:35 AM   #118
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

take your time Karamazovnew ! we are not in a hurry...are we?

now about your question for the torpedoes's buttons why not to leave them as it is ? that part is ok i think ,maybe some new images (texturing) will refresh them and will be allright ! (sorry if my answer is not exactly to your question but i am not sure that i have understand exactly the issue with the torpedoes.....my english ,you see, are...)

bye

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 01:41 PM   #119
Wilcke
The Old Man

just a bump.

Old 11-09-09, 09:11 PM   #120
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Pic showing the completed torpedo panel. Color conversion from tga to jpg messed up the contrast AGAIN. The lower part containing the 6 torpedo bulbs is set lower (I mean in depth) than the upper panel. The fire button is shown as pressed, the 2'd and 3'd torpedo are selected (lit), the switches show the open/closed status (2'd torp is "closed"). The entire panel has the same width as the TDC panel, but it's about an inch shorter. You will have to unhide the entire panel to fire a torpedo (unless you use a keybind for that). Any thoughts?