SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT > UBOAT Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-17-21, 07:43 AM   #31
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 809
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleineUboot View Post
Best subsim as of today.
Let me laugh..you haven't played others .. or what ???
moreover since a few days .. there is no update .. maybe they went to "Pan Am" or maybe it's too hot .. who knows. well let's wait for the continuation because it is a pity this game has potential but and to spoil by all this waiting which does not end .. (at least me .. I do not expect anything more) greeting
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-21, 07:01 PM   #32
AP514
Gunner

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleineUboot View Post
Best subsim as of today.
LOL
AP514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 11:07 AM   #33
Comrade1414
Nub

Downloads: 92

The new patch notes are pretty interesting..

Quote:
Changelog
Torpedo overhaul:
- There are now quite realistic and hopefully more interesting pistol designs in the game: Pi1, Pi1 revised, Pi2, Pi3 and Pi4. Certain torpedo types exist in a few variants depending on the installed pistol.
- Torpedoes can be now switched between the impact (AZ) and magnetic (MZ) pistol setting, each with its own advantages and drawbacks.
- Added FAT and LUT torpedo control programs that make the torpedo follow a certain pattern after a potential miss. Such control mechanisms are being installed on T1 and T3 torpedoes once these programs are researched.
- Impact pistol trigger chance now depends on the impact angle rather than being a flat chance.
- Magnetic pistol flaws include detonation on its own before reaching the target or not exploding when reaching the target.
- Added checkboxes in the torpedo UI that allow the player to specify which of the flooded torpedoes he wants to launch.
- T2 torpedoes are now free, while T1 require additional payment. Historically T2 were 2x cheaper in production and balance-wise are often also worse in overall.
Comrade1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-21, 05:26 PM   #34
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
moreover since a few days .. there is no update .. maybe they went to "Pan Am" or maybe it's too hot .. who knows. well let's wait for the continuation because it is a pity this game has potential but and to spoil by all this waiting which does not end .. (at least me .. I do not expect anything more) greeting
It is clear you have some personal vendetta against this game that has no basis in fact... repeatedly you have come here to crap your negativity all over the forum with zero evidence to support your position. since you obviously cannot figure this out ill map it for you

1. this is a pre-release beta

2. you say "there are no updates" repeatedly with your crybabyisms here... well here you go

"B129 beta test unstable branch" released 21 days ago

there have been six patches ALL in response to community feedback since then averaging one update release every 3 and a half days

im not sure where you are getting your "facts" but to come here and slander the dev group by saying they are on vacation and dont care about their product is frankly outright slobbering garbage out of your mouth

perhaps your time would be better spent and more constructive if you paid more attention to the forums for games that meet with your approval - assuming there are any

lots of people seem to enjoy playing this title - i am one of them, it has its setbacks, it has its faults, and no it is not perfect, this has been a WIP for this dev team that frankly has been SPOT ON at promptly and effectively addressing community feedback and keeping players up to date on the "road map" of this game.

I have been playing it since day one of release, i have experienced my disappointments but i have the vision to understand what the devs are trying to do with it and to see the big picture.

while clearly you just want to come in here and troll and have a cry baby pity party because some feature you want doesnt work right, or is missing, or wont be implemented for another month.

boo hoo

i laugh at this sub forum for uboat

every day people are in here lamenting

"but but... no magnetic triggers"

"but but... you cant select more than one torpedo"

"but but... there isnt a historically accurate TDC"

and literally two days later they post a new release WITH all that stuff - pathetic
Old 06-22-21, 12:03 AM   #35
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
It is clear you have some personal vendetta against this game that has no basis in fact... repeatedly you have come here to crap your negativity all over the forum with zero evidence to support your position. since you obviously cannot figure this out ill map it for you

1. this is a pre-release beta

2. you say "there are no updates" repeatedly with your crybabyisms here... well here you go

"B129 beta test unstable branch" released 21 days ago

there have been six patches ALL in response to community feedback since then averaging one update release every 3 and a half days

im not sure where you are getting your "facts" but to come here and slander the dev group by saying they are on vacation and dont care about their product is frankly outright slobbering garbage out of your mouth

perhaps your time would be better spent and more constructive if you paid more attention to the forums for games that meet with your approval - assuming there are any

lots of people seem to enjoy playing this title - i am one of them, it has its setbacks, it has its faults, and no it is not perfect, this has been a WIP for this dev team that frankly has been SPOT ON at promptly and effectively addressing community feedback and keeping players up to date on the "road map" of this game.

I have been playing it since day one of release, i have experienced my disappointments but i have the vision to understand what the devs are trying to do with it and to see the big picture.

while clearly you just want to come in here and troll and have a cry baby pity party because some feature you want doesnt work right, or is missing, or wont be implemented for another month.

boo hoo

i laugh at this sub forum for uboat

every day people are in here lamenting

"but but... no magnetic triggers"

"but but... you cant select more than one torpedo"

"but but... there isnt a historically accurate TDC"

and literally two days later they post a new release WITH all that stuff - pathetic

I agree. Personally, it's not complete enough for me to invest my time yet but I see a ton of potential . A lot of features I wish we could get for US fleetboats in the Pacific, perhaps one day. People need to just relax and let the sim develop, sure they will eventually love it.

I do wish Ubi would get their act together, give us a SH 6. Need to make up for SH 4 and 5 but doubt it will happen.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 10:27 AM   #36
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 809

Hello everyone
I want to remind you that I have no "vendetta" against this game or anyone here ..! lol
when to talk about my negativity ... !!! I don't want to get into the controversy but I regret to tell you that the navigation of the uboat is really not that great; we do not really know how to enjoy it .. even after 7 updates, this is one of the major problems! this game is too acarde..me what displeases me it is this slowness in the development ... because even if we are in early it is slow .. when I see another team or modder it is still better..de more with each update are lots of problems and sometimes impossible to play while what to do ...
Now that you say that I am slandering the team .. I didn’t insult anyone here .. communication wasn’t one of the strengths of your campaign during the updates .. now when to say that I am a child spoil that make me laugh; ...! I do not know who the child is here because me when I lead a development mission I do not play warthunder or other on twitch especially when everyone relates a lot of problems on the game but hey to each his method .. once again this game has great potential but in the current state of affairs things are not going well !! it is not enough to be beautiful .. if there is no sensation .. no immersion. I do not come here to troll or organize the "fight"
now if the game suits you so much the better for you ..
take pleasure ... me it is waiting. because waiting is not a problem when the results are there but it is not often the case ...
I repeat it to you I supported this projects since the beginning
oh yes we must stop comparing this game to games of 15 years old .. it must be said that it stands out for its style of gameplay c is all
when i pay for a few things i like it to be useful to me and not half of it .. and to spend my time waiting for it to work.
For the moment submarine warfare has no luck .. in video games .. it must be said that not everyone is passionate about the genre, so they are "niche" games.
despite our disagreement I salute you take pleasure with this game... kind regards KM_U669

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 06-22-21 at 10:54 AM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 03:14 AM   #37
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
I do wish Ubi would get their act together, give us a SH 6. Need to make up for SH 4 and 5 but doubt it will happen.
Yeah, can't wait for another Ubisoft U-boat/Fleetboat game riddled with micro-transactions as it is usual today.
Want to have a Fumo29 radar?, here it is in our ingame shop for just 5,99USD. Oh, you want the 40mm Bofors for your Gato, here have it in our ingame shop for just 17,75USD.

All Ubisoft does nowadays ist releasing bland open world games like The Division, Assassins Creed or FarCry. Meh.
I also highly doubt that there is really much of a playerbase left for U-Boat games, they were on the top in the late 1990's/early 2000's, but nowadays there are a niche in a niche game. Which also might be a reasosn for Ubisoft not to touch submarine games anymore, what Ubisoft strives for is the easy to play run of the mill stuff which earns them millions over millions and given the state of their most recent releases I also highly doubt that they have the talent left to make a proper Uboat/submarine game.

Speaking of UBoat:
I've tried it but it in its current state it is just not my cup of tea. I see massive potential for the future tho, but I will keep it uninstalled and wait for a full release. I'm pretty much done investing my time into early access games, most of them (Uboat being an exception) are just not worth it.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-21, 08:32 AM   #38
Holdit
Watch

Downloads: 53

I tried U-Boat a couple of times since its release but couldn't get into it. About a week ago I reinstalled it for another try, and it's a totally different experience, and I would never go back to SH3/4/5.

The big drawback is the missing TDC but that issue has been fixed with a mod and makes a world of difference. Nice items are the operable bilge pump, gyro compass and the electric and diesel air compressors.

The crew management thing is, I suppose, a matter of taste, but I find it quite immersive. It's worth taking the time to master the interface and you need to cheat/mod it to get the best out of it. I've renamed all my crew so they have the names of characters in the Das Boot novel, and given them "uniforms" according to their role (their role in the novel - in the game they're just "crew"). The game doesn't differentiate between officers, CPOs, POs and seaman; there are just officers and "everyone else". I find this means that to get the most realistic experience you need to have the game treat as officers some characters who were CPOs in the novel (e.g. Kriechbaum, Johann, Franz) or just POs (Hinrich and Hermann).

I set up The First and Second Officers along with Kriechbaum as Watch-keeping officers (four hours per watch), leaving the skipper in charge of navigation - you can get lost even when the navigation is being handled by the game. The Chief and Second engineers alternate 6-hour watches in the engine room, but you could also promote a "Johann" to free up the Chief. Where this boosts immersion is that when ever you drop out of warp speed to have a look at what's happening in the boat - and the "cutaway" view works superbly here, displaying a busy, living, breathing, working boat - you can see people on duty, going on/off duty, or just relaxing - all in according to the roster.

Some other immersive touches are seeing crewmen run to the forward torpedo room during a crash dive (they stand in a huddle rather than lie in a heap, but still, kudos), and returning to their stations as the boat levels off. Crewmen coming into the galley to help themselves to some grub. When you order red/blue/normal lighting, a crewman has to make his way to the control and change it, so it doesn't happen instantly, likewise turning on the compressors or pumps. If you order the deck gun manned, the crew have to make their way to it first.

The biggest dose of immersion for me came with my first experience of damage control. On patrol in the north sea, we were spotted by an aircraft, and the crash dive was too slow (note to self: there's a mod for this) and the dropped depth charge inflicted some damage. I took the boat to about 90 metres and assessed damage (there's no damage screen, just an un-prioritised list of failures so you need to do a bit of triage yourself, but then real U-Boat commanders didn't have a damage control screen either). There were two leaks, damage to the conning tower and UZO, and a bunch of broken lightbulbs (and yes, those sections of the boat with blown bulbs go dark, but you can press "F" for a flashlight in first-person mode).

As I assigned different officers to take care of different repairs (I gave the lightbulbs and minor stuff to the non-engineers, but I don't know if that actually makes a difference) I could see them heading to those spots, sometimes working with wrenches, sometimes welding torches, even standing on boxes to reach awkward places. Being fairly deep, and with water in the engine and motor rooms, I ordered bailing and by golly my guys went to it carrying buckets to the control room and emptying them into the bilge. It was officers-only and doing it the slow hard way rather than forming a human chain, but it's clear that this is what's being represented. Most of the time I kept the captain character in the control room where he could see the crew moving between different parts of the boat as they went from repair to repair.

Once everything was fixed and we resurfaced, I found out that we didn't have enough spare parts to fix the damage to the bridge (which was quite visible; the casing buckled and those vertical wooden slats smashed on the damaged side), or the UZO. I decided to RTB and sent the crew off for a few days break - and this was the icing on the immersion-cake: the crew actually left the boat. They didn't just vanish; they walked off the boat individually and in small groups, carrying small suitcases or rucksacks, until only the skipper was left behind. At that point it seemed a novelty to have the boat completely to myself so I walked from fore-to-aft just to experience it. I was reminded of the part in the novel "The Cruel Sea" where most of the crew is on leave during a refit and Lockhart draws the short straw and is the only officer left on board apart from a skeleton screw and the dockyard workers.

That sums up the impact U-Boat has had on me, yes there are still some niggles but the experience it provides is far ahead of anything that has gone previously, including SH3 with mods. For me this is way more satisfying, and I can't see myself going back.

NIGGLES:

Instead of engine room telegraph call-outs, there is just a response of "Faster, faster" or "We're slowing down" in response to speed changes. It's annoying.

Having to "buy" stuff. I just cheat myself the cash I need to make this go away.

Too few officers by default. This is fixable with a mod.

No waterproofs for bridge crew. Immersion-cracking, but not a deal-breaker.

No mission editor. My biggest complaint. I would like to use it to set up Perisher-style training scenarios.
Holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-21, 03:00 PM   #39
lecek
Watch

Downloads: 0

Quote:
That sums up the impact U-Boat has had on me, yes there are still some niggles but the experience it provides is far ahead of anything that has gone previously, including SH3 with mods. For me this is way more satisfying, and I can't see myself going back.

That is how I feel. I have seen lots of posts about how not great this simulator is. And well it isn't complete or anything by any stretch. But I was wondering if I was in the minority thinking this is what SH5 should have been.

Also my Kalun has the same name as in SH3.
lecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-21, 06:59 PM   #40
Nicolai_Clausen
AtlanticCampaignSurvivor

Downloads: 198

I had installed it a while back and just couldn't get past the mechanics. I just reinstalled it after watching a YouTube video. I am impressed with the progress that has been made with it. I am still working through the processes of running the ship, as not everything is automatic and you have to be aware of what is needed to survive. It reminds me of SH5, but easier to work with. The graphics are exceptional over games of the past, the eye candy is happy. The mechanics of the crew are approaching a realistic feel, better that SH5 had one (modeling techniques and graphics cards have made a great difference).

So far I am enjoy the new experience. (really wish the map was more in line with the historical map layout).
Old 11-30-21, 04:42 PM   #41
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Nicolai_Clausen! U've certainly mastered the art of the 'silent run!'

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-21, 04:47 PM   #42
Nicolai_Clausen
AtlanticCampaignSurvivor

Downloads: 198

Nicolai_Clausen! U've certainly mastered the art of the 'silent run!'

LOL, It wasn't easy but I did it!!
Old 01-01-22, 10:56 PM   #43
LIONPRIDE
Seaman

Downloads: 15

I just threw down some cash on this due to the Winter-Sale on Steam. Is there any multiplayer in this one ~ ??

LIONPRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 04:32 AM   #44
MantiBrutalis
Planesman

Downloads: 12

Recently got into UBOAT, and while there are definitely things still missing or wrong, it is so impressive coming from a team of... 3?... people.

Cons:
Nowadays, we don't accept people just popping up in places (like in SH3), and because they don't in UBOAT, some of the hard to do things show up. It is nice that sailors move about, do tasks, switch shifts and so on, but a lot of the harder things to do are noticeable - too few sailors (acceptable simplification, the 3D models would not be happy), no-one is rushing up the tower after surfacing, noone ever really runs, things like that.
The boat physics are a little off. Not enough tilt when going up/down, when surfacing it bobs up awkwardly...
Sinking physics are just... so fast. Ships mostly just disappear in seconds.
The gunnery is unfinished, hopefully. Flak feels awful, deck gun has no ballistics, just point and click.
No hedgehogs and enemy torpedoes yet, afaik.
The enemy AI could do with some work.
No TDC
Some of the UI needs work
Some unhistorical elements here and there
Some of the things I'd want are just unexpectable of a 3 people team. This is a small game.

Pros:
Mods can make it a lot more complex and/or fix some of the cons (TDC, sinking, etc.)
The boat feels alive. People do tasks, load torpedoes, clean floors, cook... The cut-out view is amazing!
Funnel smoke sightings, contrail sightings, glorious...
Modeled leaks, compressors, bilges, pumps...
I like the combined map/3D view, honestly
Some of the missions/side missions are a bit janky, but it's a welcome change from "Go to this square, then come back"
You get to check neutral ships for contraband!

Who cares if the jackets are the wrong shade of grey, or if watchmen stand in the wrong place. Will this game surpass SH3? It already has, in my eyes. UBOAT gets two thumbs up from me.
MantiBrutalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 02:25 PM   #45
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

MantiBrutalis! aftert a 6 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote