SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-17-21, 09:09 PM   #1
pensioned
Watch

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default SH 4 patch 1.4

I am confused as to the patch 1.4 for SH4. I followed the download link and found a silent hunter 4 1.4 exe file ... not a install file. The install instructions say to: Uninstall SH4, reinstall sh4. Run v1.4 patch installation file. Follow the instructions. Please clarify for me.

Thanks
pensioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-21, 09:43 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The base Stock game MUST be unmodded, is what they mean. So if you have v1.01 or v1.3, no matter, de-activate all mods, cut your MODS folder and paste it elsewhere for safe-keeping, then un-install SH4, re-install, and then put that SH4 v1.4 executable patch in the SH4 game folder, and run it as an administrator. It should then run properly. Be aware, if you have a Steam version of the game, the Ubisoft v1.4 Patch will not function correctly. If you are in the US, you cannot argue with $2.50US for Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 12:54 AM   #3
Belmondo
Soundman

Downloads: 840
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The base Stock game MUST be unmodded, is what they mean. So if you have v1.01 or v1.3, no matter, de-activate all mods, cut your MODS folder and paste it elsewhere for safe-keeping, then un-install SH4, re-install, and then put that SH4 v1.4 executable patch in the SH4 game folder, and run it as an administrator. It should then run properly. Be aware, if you have a Steam version of the game, the Ubisoft v1.4 Patch will not function correctly. If you are in the US, you cannot argue with $2.50US for Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition
I have a problem with installing Patch 1.4, this message pops up, please help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg admin.jpg (96.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-05-21, 09:10 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Well, I can't read the text, since I am one of those "English only" people (I used to be able to do elementary school German and could fake baby-talk Spanish, but way out of practice), but from the looks of the "style" of the box, that is one of those "This program has been blocked" kind of messages with a "we have protected you from possible harm" claims... This is where the folder matters, so just to make certain, you cannot have the game installed in a "Program Files" folder, whether under a Steam structure and Steam Library, or a Ubisoft structure and their "Library" style of folders. You must have the game in a folder that you created, such as "C:\Games \ Steam..." or "C:\Games \Ubisoft..." In that way, Windows will not interfere with your attempts to alter the files.

Secondly, when you go to run the patch on the un-modded game, right-click on the patch's executable file, and choose "Run as administrator", which is what looks to be your problem, going by the look of the message box pop-up you have there. One other thing to look for, is the fact that some of the install routines (I can't remember which) will set the "important" files in your install to Read-only, so you might need to navigate into the game folder that you are attempting to update, press the <Ctrl> key, and while holding that, press the <A> key to "Select All". Right-click on any one of the selected files, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the resultant context menu, and on the first "General" tab that opens, clear the tick box for "Read-only" under the "Attributes" section. You will then be asked if you want to apply that to all files and sub-folders, and you do want to, which when you click Yes and OK, will then take a minute of two to run, and then your files can be written over by the patch.

Thirdly, and this is Mr. Obvious speaking here, but you cannot make a v1.5 game into a v1.4 game by applying the patch. Only version 1.3 and earlier. You also do not need to "step through" the versions. If you have a v1.0.1 original disk version, you can apply the version 1.4 patch, and it steps all of the way up to v1.4 with that.

Fourthly, with Mr. Obvious again, you cannot apply the Ubisoft v1.4 patch to a Steam game. Steam will not take it, and you will see a pop-up stating that the game is already updated to v1.4 - even though it is not. Steam has their own way of doing that, and that is for you to purchase their version of the "U-Boat Missions Add-On" for an additional fee. You cannot use a Steam update with a Ubisoft game, and you cannot use a Ubisoft update with a Steam game...

Let us know how you get along, but my guess is it is the Administrator rights need to be applied as you run the patch.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote