SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-19, 11:53 AM   #3001
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

QUEEN ELIZABETTH SUCCEEDS HER CATHOLIC HALF-SISTER 'BLOODY MARY' TO BEGIN A 44 YEAR REIGN ....BEING A GOOD PROTESTANT, I'LL DRINK TO THAT!
<The Jucy Lucy! Undeniably one of Minneapolis' most glorious contributions to world cuisine. Hence this beautiful Bloody, brought to you by the Bloody Mary Society. TALKIN' MINNESOTA NICE HERE!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-17-19 at 02:54 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 05:05 PM   #3002
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
[COLOR=orange]QUEEN ELIZABETTH SUCCEEDS HER CATHOLIC HALF-SISTER 'BLOODY MARY' TO BEGIN A 44 YEAR REIGN ....BEING A GOOD PROTESTANT, I'LL DRINK TO THAT!

I would say this is one of the most important changes in England's long history

Elizabethan Age begins

Queen Mary I, the monarch of England and Ireland since 1553, dies and is succeeded by her 25-year-old half-sister, Elizabeth.

The two half-sisters, both daughters of King Henry VIII, had a stormy relationship during Mary’s five-year reign. Mary, who was brought up as a Catholic, enacted pro-Catholic legislation and made efforts to restore the pope to supremacy in England. A Protestant rebellion ensued, and Queen Mary imprisoned Elizabeth, a Protestant, in the Tower of London on suspicion of complicity. After Mary’s death, Elizabeth survived several Catholic plots against her; though her ascension was greeted with approval by most of England’s lords, who were largely Protestant and hoped for greater religious tolerance under a Protestant queen. Under the early guidance of Secretary of State Sir William Cecil, Elizabeth repealed Mary’s pro-Catholic legislation, established a permanent Protestant Church of England, and encouraged the Calvinist reformers in Scotland.

In foreign affairs, Elizabeth practiced a policy of strengthening England’s Protestant allies and dividing her foes. Elizabeth was opposed by the pope, who refused to recognize her legitimacy, and by Spain, a Catholic nation that was at the height of its power. In 1588, English-Spanish rivalry led to an abortive Spanish invasion of England in which the Spanish Armada, the greatest naval force in the world at the time, was destroyed by storms and a determined English navy.

With increasing English domination at sea, Elizabeth encouraged voyages of discovery, such as Sir Francis Drake’s circumnavigation of the world and Sir Walter Raleigh’s expeditions to the North American coast.

The long reign of Elizabeth, who became known as the “Virgin Queen” for her reluctance to endanger her authority through marriage, coincided with the flowering of the English Renaissance, associated with such renowned authors as William Shakespeare. By her death in 1603, England had become a major world power in every respect, and Queen Elizabeth I passed into history as one of England’s greatest monarchs.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 11:53 AM   #3003
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1307 William Tell reputedly shoots apple off his son's head.

1916 British General Douglas Haig finally calls off the 1st Battle of the Somme in World War I after more than 1 million soldiers had been killed or wounded.

1943 U-211 sinks in Atlantic Ocean.

1966 US Roman Catholic bishops ends rules against eating meat on Fridays.

1983 Argentina announces its ability to produce enriched uranium for nuclear weapons.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 01:57 PM   #3004
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1620 The Mayflower reaches Cape Cod and explores the coast.

1942 Operation Uranus: Soviet offensive begins during Battle of Stalingrad, 1 million Soviet soldiers encircle the German Sixth Army.

Old 11-20-19, 07:35 AM   #3005
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1815 Second Treaty of Paris: France and her allies agree France will pay indemnities after Battle of Waterloo, ending the Napoleonic Wars.

1917 First successful tank use in battle, at the Battle of Cambrai in World War I as Britain uses the new technology to break through German lines.

1941 Adm Nomura & Kurusu hands over Japanese last diplomatic note.

1941 German "auxiliary cruiser" (armed merchant raider) Kormoran sinks near Australia.

1944 First Japanese suicide submarine attack (Ulithi Atoll, Carolines)

1945 The Nuremberg war trials begin as 24 Nazi leaders are put on trial before judges representing the victorious Allied powers.

1984 McDonald's makes its 50 billionth hamburger.

1995 Princess Diana admits she cheated on Prince Charles in a TV interview.

Old 11-20-19, 02:23 PM   #3006
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

cool FASCIST GLORY IS ....FLEETING

1975: SPANISH DICTATOR (EL CAUDILLO)FRANCISO FRANCO DIES... AFTER A 38 YEAR RULE. HIS STATUE WAS REMOVED IN 2008....AFTERWARD 2018, HIS BODY WAS REMOVED FROM THE MONUMENT TO THE FALLEN TO HIS WIFE, CARMEN POLO'S CRYPT

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-20-19 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-21-19, 10:35 AM   #3007
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1791 Colonel Napoléon Bonaparte is promoted to 1st Lieutenant and appointed Commander-in-Chief of the Armies of the French Republic.

1916 HMHS Britannic sinks in the Aegean Sea after a mine explodes, killing 30 people.

1918 The German High Seas Fleet of 5 battlecruisers, 9 battleships, 7 cruisers and 49 destroyers surrendered to the British Grand Fleet and were shepherded into the Firth of Forth.

1946 Harry Truman becomes first US President to travel in a submerged submarine.

2017 Robert Mugabe's resignation after 37 years in power is read out in Zimbabwe's parliaments during impeachment proceedings.

Old 11-21-19, 01:32 PM   #3008
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1916 HMHS Britannic sinks in the Aegean Sea after a mine explodes, killing 30 people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMHS_Britannic TALK ABOUT A 'BLACK MARIA HERE OR... 'TWO OUTTA THREE' IS BAD!
Quote:
Violet Jessop (who was also one of the survivors of Britannic's sister-ship Titanic, and had even been on the third sister, Olympic, when she collided with HMS Hawke described the last seconds; "She dipped her head a little, then a little lower and still lower. All the deck machinery fell into the sea like a child's toys. Then she took a fearful plunge, her stern rearing hundreds of feet into the air until with a final roar, she disappeared into the depths, the noise of her going resounding through the water with undreamt-of violence...."
<Violet Constance Jessop (2 October 1887 – 5 May 1971) was an Irish Argentine ocean liner stewardess and nurse who is known for surviving the disastrous sinkings of both RMS Titanic and her sister ship, HMHS Britannic, in 1912 and 1916, respectively. In addition, she had been on board RMS Olympic, the eldest of the three sister ships, when it collided with a British warship Called HMS Hawke, in 1911
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Jessop

Old 11-22-19, 08:48 AM   #3009
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1941 British cruiser Devonshire sinks German auxiliary cruiser Atlantis.

1942 Adolf Hitler orders Rommel's Africa Korps to fight to the last man.

1943 RAF begins air bombing of Berlin.

1963 US President John F. Kennedy assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald while riding in an open-topped motorcade in Dallas, Texas.

1968 First interracial TV kiss (Star Trek - Captain Kirk and Uhura)

2005 Angela Merkel becomes the first female Chancellor of Germany.

Old 11-23-19, 09:07 AM   #3010
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1869 The clipper Cutty Sark is launched In Dumbarton, Scotland, one of the last clippers ever built and the only one still surviving.

1942 German 4th & 6th Army surrounded at Stalingrad.

1942 Japanese bombing of Port Darwin, Australia.

1942 Chinese steward Poon Lim begins 133 days adrift after British ship SS Benlomond torpedoed by german U-boat and he is the sole survivor.

1963 JFK's body lay in repose in East Room of White House.

1991 Freddie Mercury, 45, confirms he has AIDS the day before he dies.

Old 11-24-19, 08:01 AM   #3011
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 The Blitz: Luftwaffe bombs Bristol city centre, killing 200 people in the first German raid on the city.

1941 "Life Certificates" issued to some Jews of Vilna, the rest are exterminated.

1944 US bombers based on Saipan begin first attack on Tokyo.

1950 UN troops begin an assault intending to end Korean War by Christmas.

1954 Air Force One, first US Presidential airplane, christened.

1979 US admits troops in Vietnam were exposed to the toxic Agent Orange.

1981 First air-launched cruise missile tested.

Old 11-25-19, 08:26 AM   #3012
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1783 Britain evacuates New York city, its last military position in the United States.

1841 35 survivors of the mutiny on the slave ship Amistad return to Africa.

1867 Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel patents dynamite.

1922 Crown Prince Hirohito of Japan becomes Regent of Japan in his ailing father's stead.

1940 First flights of the de Havilland Mosquito and Martin B-26 Marauder.

1944 A German V-2 rocket hits a Woolworth's store in Deptford, United Kingdom, killing 160 shoppers.

1948 16-inch coastal guns removed from Fort Funston, San Francisco.

1963 JFK laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery.

1971 British Labour Party leader Harold Wilson proposes Britain should work towards a withdrawal from Northern Ireland, and after 15 years; the Republic of Ireland could rejoin the British Commonwealth.

Old 11-25-19, 10:22 AM   #3013
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

1963 JFK laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery.
UNDER THE ETERNAL FLAME!

The eternal flame has been extinguished a few times by accident. On December 10, 1963, a group of Catholic schoolchildren were sprinkling the temporary flame with holy water. The cap came off the bottle and water poured onto the flame, putting it out. A cemetery official quickly relit the flame by hand. In August 1967, an exceptionally heavy rain extinguished the permanent flame. A nearby electrical transformer flooded as well, depriving the spark igniter of power and preventing the flame from being relit. After the rain ended, a cemetery official relit the flame by hand. Two of the gravesite's flagstones had to be removed to access the transformer and repair it.

Old 11-26-19, 11:44 AM   #3014
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1778 British explorer Captain James Cook is the first European to visit Maui in the Sandwich Islands (now Hawaii)

1898 SS Portland “The Titanic of New England” leaves for Cape Cod, shipwrecked off Cape Ann, all 192 on board killed.

1914 Battleship HMS Bulwark explodes at Sheerness Harbour, England, 788 die.

1916 Addressing the Chamber of Commerce in Cincinnati, US President Woodrow Wilson declares that 'The business of neutrality is over. The nature of modern war leaves no state untouched'

1922 English archaeologist Howard Carter opens Tutankhamun's virtually intact tomb in Egypt.

1940 Nazi Germany began walling off the Jewish Ghetto in Warsaw.

1941 Japanese naval carrier force left its base & moves east toward Pearl Harbor.

1944 Himmler orders destruction of Auschwitz & Birkenau crematoria.

1950 China enters Korean conflict, sends troops across Yalu River.

1990 Mikhail Gorbachev tells Iraq to get out of Kuwait.

2003 Supersonic airplane the Concorde makes its last ever flight, returning to Bristol, England.

Old 11-27-19, 07:04 AM   #3015
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1895 Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel's will establishes the Nobel Prize.

1942 French navy at Toulon scuttles ships and submarines so Nazis cannot seize them.

1944 4,000 shells detonate in RAF arms depot at Fauld, near Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire; village of Hanbury destroyed, at least 70 people killed.

1958 USSR abrogates Allied war-time agreements on control of Germany.

1967 French President Charles de Gaulle said 'Non!' to British entry to the European Common Market for the second time.