SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-11, 12:20 PM   #1546
Robin40
Chief

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefaba View Post
Where can I rename them? Please tell me the folder.

Thanks in advance.

Fatih

edit: Nevermind. Found it!
well...which folder?
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 12:22 PM   #1547
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

Hsie,some questions.When the scopes are vibrating from high speed and you go to F12 view its blurry also.Is that normal and if so can it be fixed?Also the blur of scopes is very bad,do you think a slight reduction so you can still sorta navigate but not take correct readings would be better?

About the dive to 30m when its stormy and one wants to load torpedoes.Is 30m really how low they went?Anywhere this is documented?I was in 25m deep water last night and had to stalk a lone and vulnerable freighter till the weather got better and it took a day.I just think 90feet is way way deep.If I go swimming and go under water even with waves rolling above me like crazy I feel stable.Yes the undertow pulls you out but that doesn't happen in vast ocean.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 12:35 PM   #1548
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

@Wolfstriked:

F12: You surely have MaGUI or similar enabled. That unfortunately has blur-effect for F12. Must be disabled for F12.

Or: Just totally disable blur for periscopes by deleting the modified Camerabehavior.act. Blur cannot be reduced. Just switched on or off.

30m: I chose the value without historical data. We discussed that earlier and if I remember right, someone (with good knowlegde) said something about 30m. But this can be changed if we find historical facts. no problem.

Quick solution until better facts are known: Disable internal reload fix.
Old 06-21-11, 12:50 PM   #1549
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Great,thanks and yep I am a MAGUI fan.

I will keep both and just do my movie viewing when I am not submerged.And I have searched for a quick 5 minutes last night about the dive depth for stability and found nothing.I'll keep searching.
Old 06-21-11, 01:52 PM   #1550
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
About the dive to 30m when its stormy and one wants to load torpedoes.Is 30m really how low they went?Anywhere this is documented?I was in 25m deep water last night and had to stalk a lone and vulnerable freighter till the weather got better and it took a day.I just think 90feet is way way deep.If I go swimming and go under water even with waves rolling above me like crazy I feel stable.Yes the undertow pulls you out but that doesn't happen in vast ocean.
There is no magic depth from where you suddenly can reload torpedoes whereas one meter higher you couldn't. Kaleuns reported boat movement with heavy weather that could be felt even at 50 metres, so as always with SH a compromise had to be reached. I feel that 30 metres is a reasonable one, but I'm ready to back up better informed opinions
Old 06-21-11, 04:42 PM   #1551
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
There is no magic depth from where you suddenly can reload torpedoes whereas one meter higher you couldn't. Kaleuns reported boat movement with heavy weather that could be felt even at 50 metres, so as always with SH a compromise had to be reached. I feel that 30 metres is a reasonable one, but I'm ready to back up better informed opinions
I agree with you Hitman.30m is a good compromise.I was just pissed that I was at 25m depth to keel.Can't risk laying sub on floor.
Old 06-21-11, 05:57 PM   #1552
h.sie
Admiral

Wolfstriked: I made the fixes to make your life harder - not easier!
Old 06-21-11, 06:08 PM   #1553
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

I love realism tweaks and I hope to not come across as complaining about them.
Old 06-22-11, 01:35 AM   #1554
mefaba
Seaman

Downloads: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin40 View Post
well...which folder?
In data/campaigns folder there's file called campaign_scr.

Open it with Notepad. All units are in it. Search "navalbase" and you will find every supply ship one by one. Just put a "U-" infront of their name. For example: Python to U-Python.

That's it.
mefaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 02:06 AM   #1555
h.sie
Admiral

Are you sure all "NavalBase" units are surface U-Tankers? I don't know
Old 06-22-11, 07:13 AM   #1556
mefaba
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
In campaign_scr, the following units are indicated as "navalbase":

Python, Belchen Supply Ship, U-459, Corrientes, Thalia, Bessel, Max Albrect, U-461, U-488, U-460, U-463, Chralotte Schliemann.

No other unit in that file is indicated as "navalbase". AFAIK, all of these are historic German supply ships and u-tankers.

All of them have 2 entries.

One of them is like that:

Code:
[Unit 225]
Name=Python
Class=NavalBase
Type=407
Origin=German
Side=2
Commander=0
CargoExt=-1
CargoInt=-1
CfgDate=19380101
DeleteOnLastWaypoint=false
DockedShip=false
GameEntryDate=19410501
GameEntryTime=1200
GameExitDate=19411201
GameExitTime=1200
EvolveFromEntryDate=false
Long=-439616.000000
Lat=-3395210.000000
Height=-200.000000
Heading=278.944000
Speed=0.000000
CrewRating=3
DelayMin=0
ReportPosMin=0
ReportPosProbability=0
SecondsUntilReport=-60.000000
RandStartRadius=0.000000
NextWP=0

[Unit 225.Waypoint 1]
Speed=0.000000
Radius=0.000000
Loop=-1
LoopProbability=100
Long=-441141.000000
Lat=-3394970.000000
Height=-200.000000
The other one is like that:

Code:
[Unit 226]
Name=Python
Class=KGN
Type=102
Origin=German
Side=2
Commander=0
CargoExt=0
CargoInt=2
CfgDate=19380101
DeleteOnLastWaypoint=false
DockedShip=false
GameEntryDate=19410501
GameEntryTime=1200
GameExitDate=19411201
GameExitTime=1200
EvolveFromEntryDate=true
Long=-439535.000000
Lat=-3394787.000000
Height=0.000000
Heading=279.246094
Speed=0.000000
CrewRating=3
DelayMin=0
ReportPosMin=0
ReportPosProbability=0
SecondsUntilReport=-60.000000
RandStartRadius=0.000000
NextWP=0

[Unit 226.Waypoint 1]
Speed=0.000000
Radius=0.000000
Loop=-1
LoopProbability=100
Long=-441083.000000
Lat=-3394535.000000
Height=0.000000
I only edited the entries that say "navalbase" as unit class. I did not touch the other unit name.

I haven't docked any of those ships yet. And I did this according to your suggestion for changing the supply ship name by adding a "u-" in front of its name, so that your pseudo dock feature will work in those surface supply ships just like u-tankers.

I don't know if it will work. Right now I am at work and I can't try it but I will check when I am back home.
Old 06-22-11, 07:19 AM   #1557
h.sie
Admiral

@Mefaba: Would be interesting to try it out. But use "U-" instead of "u-". Case-sensitive!!!

h.sie
Old 06-22-11, 07:31 AM   #1558
mefaba
Seaman

Quote:
@Mefaba: Would be interesting to try it out. But use "U-" instead of "u-". Case-sensitive!!!

h.sie
Yes, of course. I used "U-".

I will tell you the results this evening. (GMT+3)
Old 06-22-11, 07:58 AM   #1559
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 615

Quote:
The U-Tankers are the only ones in Campaign_SCR.mis since they're 'fake naval bases'. Usually real naval bases are scripted in Campaign_LND.mis.
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 08:59 AM   #1560
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default U-boat Surrender (Abandoning of U-boat).

I have now a completely coded and functioning system for the U-boat crew to abandon ship. This method is compatible with H.sie’s V15G1 Beta test patch, and I shall supply a suitable extra patch once I have worked out the correct procedure - and after addressing other issues, see below.

H.sie has queried why a ‘Surrender’ option is necessary, and a brief explanation is given below. The real issue is for those serious users who play ‘Dead-Is-Dead’.

It is desirable to introduce the option of ‘surrender’ of the U-boat when conditions are sufficiently severe. This was a feature of the old Aces of the Deep, which gave a small chance of being rescued by U-boat and returned to active service. SH3 lacks this feature, and other players in the past have requested the option as a mod. Currently, whenever the U-boat is sunk in SH3, all the crew is killed, and players who play ‘Dead-Is-Dead’ might as well remain submerged and take their chances when a real crew would certainly surface in order to try to save their lives. So this feature will encourage the ‘Dead-Is-Dead’ players to surface in the hope of being ‘rescued by another U-boat’, and it will be nice to save some or all of the crew.

My ‘Surrender Mod’ now provides a method of abandoning the U-boat. The code is long and complex, and requires the application of rigid rules:
1. You must signal that you are abandoning your U-boat. This is done by sending a standard radio status report, for which (as usual) the U-boat must be on the surface. The U-boat must have already a hull integrity of less than 20% (Use H.sie’s ‘Hull Integrity’ mod, or use SH3Commander, to permit hull damage to be read in screen F7.) Your status message will now inform BdU that you are abandoning your U-boat.
2. You must now scuttle (self-sink) your U-boat in the same day. If you sent your emergency message at 00:05 hours on (say) 10th August, you have 23 hours and 55 minutes in which to scuttle. If you sent your emergency message at 23:55 on 10th August, you have just 5 minutes in which to scuttle. You can send emergency messages as often as you like, but the original SH3 code makes responses from BdU slower and slower, so this idea is definitely not recommended. Send your emergency message only when you intend to abandon ship. Your emergency message will be automatically cancelled if you have not scuttled in the same day as you sent the message.
3. The way to scuttle your U-boat is simply to dive deep, when the pressure hull will quickly break (since hull integrity already less than 20%). Note that any method that would normally result in a message of “U-Boat destroyed by pressure/collision/flooding” will be accepted as scuttling.
4. You will then see the black screen of death, but with some differences:
a) The message “U-Boat destroyed by pressure/collision/flooding” will have been replaced by ‘”U-boat abandoned”.
b) The message “Mission Summary” (in large orange characters) will have been replaced by “Saved by Allies” (80% chance) or “Saved by U-boat” (20% chance).
c) The message showing starting crew and ending crew (originally all dead) will have been changed to give a random percentage of living crew, with the remainder all dead. For this purpose, earlier wounded crew are counted as living crew, while earlier dead crew are counted (obviously) as dead crew.
5. For Dead-Is-Dead players:
If you are rescued by the Allies, or killed because you did not succeed to send a message to abandon ship, then your career ends.
If the final message says that you were rescued by a U-boat, then you may legitimately start a new career, with a new U-boat, starting after you were rescued.

LIMITATIONS:
1. After you are sunk, I would advise very strongly that you close SH3, then restart it in order to reset some internal variables. You will probably want a pause to think anyway.
2. Alternatively, if you choose to restart from an earlier saved game (because you don’t like to be sunk), send a radio status message as soon as you can, even if you have no hull damage. This will reinstall changed variables.
3. After you have closed the ‘Black Screen of Death’, you will see another screen ‘Career Summary’, which shows that all your crew are dead. Technically this is easy to change. However, it requires a lot of extra code, and I am reluctant to waste game memory on a screen which no one reads anyway. The only time I saw this problem was when testing the ‘Surrender’ program and watching for side effects. No one really reads the few lines of the ‘Career Summary’ after being sunk, do they? (You can read a much better summary in the main menu system.)
4. If, after sending your ‘Abandon U-boat’ message, the enemy then sinks you, even on the surface, your crew will NOT be rescued. You will get the usual message “U-Boat destroyed.” on the black screen of death. This should be taken to mean that your U-boat exploded, or sank suddenly, after being hit by shells or bombs from ships or aircraft. In order to survive, you *must* sink the U-boat yourself! For Dead-Is-Dead players: your career has ended after the “U-Boat destroyed.” message. No new career is permitted.
5. It is impossible to construct long messages about abandoning ship, owing to considerations of memory overflow. In the dark world of the Black Screen of Death, console messages cannot be seen and the dialog box system causes CTDs. Only short messages can be permitted, to replace those on the Black Screen.

ISSUES.
Feedback invited:

1. Since there is a one-day limit on the effect of the U-boat Surrender, there is an argument that the Radio Status report should accept an “Abandoning U-boat” message when hull integrity is much higher than 20%, for example 50%. If you are forced to surface in the middle of a convoy with damage, it is difficult to judge when to send that critical last message ‘Abandon U-boat’ if the limit is only 20%, as destroyers shell the U-boat.
2. Should the crew be allowed to abandon ship after being sunk on the surface by ship or aircraft? (Message is “U-Boat destroyed.”). I think not, as explained above, but others might think differently.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote