SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-13, 02:55 PM   #1
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508
Uploads: 0
Default sh5 or sh3

I love the graphics (with mods) in sh5 but love sh3 (nygm and mods) gameplay better, what a dilema
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 03:01 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Not at all. Both are cheap, both have different items to recommend them. Get both, play whichever one suits your fancy at the moment.
Old 12-15-13, 03:09 PM   #3
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Not at all. Both are cheap, both have different items to recommend them. Get both, play whichever one suits your fancy at the moment.

What Steve said.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 10:07 AM   #4
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508

yes got both and keep switching cannot make my mind up which one to stay with
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 11:08 AM   #5
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster1 View Post
I love the graphics (with mods) in sh5 but love sh3 (nygm and mods) gameplay better, what a dilema
What do you like of SHIII + NYGM over SH5?

Not a polemic question. I am just curious to know what makes the modded SHIII a better game, and if the same features can be ported to SH5
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 11:16 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster1 View Post
yes got both and keep switching cannot make my mind up which one to stay with
Precisely! As Sailor Steve says, the object is to be amused; It ain't a lifestyle. Get SHIV with Monsun ( I still play SHII) and have a field day! All have their +'s and -'s ...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 12:01 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
What do you like of SHIII + NYGM over SH5?

Not a polemic question. I am just curious to know what makes the modded SHIII a better game, and if the same features can be ported to SH5
I can't speak for anyone else, but I play SH3 with GWX and SH3 Commander. What makes the difference for me is the availability of the Type II and Type IX. That, plus the many different types of merchants available, and my PC won't even run the Merchant Fleet Mod! Not to mention the working canal lock gates. I won't praise Commander's 'Ship Names' function because I understand that SH5 does allow for ship names. I think of all the things I could do with that if I only had a PC that would allow me to work with it.

I prefer SH4's crew management, especially the 'Battle Stations' function. I also prefer SH4's 'Request New Orders' radio function, except for the part where responses are instant, rather than having to wait for the new instructions. SH4 also has a fully functioning grid map, with both Latitude/Logitude and KM Grids working properly.

But SH5 looks real good. No, that's not meant to be a backhanded complement/insult. It really does look very, very good.
Old 12-16-13, 02:23 PM   #8
gap
Navy Seal

Thank you for your prompt reply, Steve. It deserves detailed answers, point by point

Quote:
What makes the difference for me is the availability of the Type II and Type IX.
I agree: this is one of the worst SH5 limitations. What prevents us from adding the missing playable subs? These are imho the main obstacles:

- limited knowledge about the granny format in general: TDW and privateer have done miracles on this subject; we are now able to edit bones, materials, texture, meshes, etc., and we can even create new 3d objects and units. In spite of this, GR2 Editor is still not able to add new meshes and, due to the many unknowns, it is prone to corrupting files at times. This means that at this stage only the creation of relatively simple units is realistically practicable.

- lack of knowledge about granny animations: assuming that we were patient enough to model and import in game a full-fledged u-boat (both exterior and interior), we shoul still deal with track groups and 'flexible bones' for crew to move around the sub, to man her guns, etc. Unfortunately only TDW, privateer and (maybe) a few others, might have a vague idea of what is needed for getting the said stuff to work.

- hardcoding the new playable units: we should make the game to 'see' the new units. Again, only TDW has the likely skills to do it.

Summing up, my verdict is: new playable units are not impossible in SH5, but just not yet possible.

Quote:
That, plus the many different types of merchants available, and my PC won't even run the Merchant Fleet Mod!
With the needed time, we can add in game all the AI ships we want. Even considering the limitations I have listed in the previous point, the conversion of dat units to GR2 ones is surely possible already. If this is not enough, with some simple tweaks, dat units can be imported in game the straight way. Except for some trascurable flaws, ships imported this way are fully functional.

All in all, I think the one reason for SH5 not having as many ships as SHIII and IV, is our laziness and the need to ask for permission to use pre-existing models. Nothing more than this (shame on us!)

Quote:
Not to mention the working canal lock gates.
I should have a look into GWX for this feature. How is the gate animation triggered?

Quote:
I won't praise Commander's 'Ship Names' function because I understand that SH5 does allow for ship names.
Yes, cool feature, though I never fully understood where we should read those names from. Is there a New UI's option for it?

Quote:
I prefer SH4's crew management, especially the 'Battle Stations' function.
I can't really answer on this, but I guess that porting SHIV's crew management to SH5 would require a lot of work on hardcoded functions, and a good knowledge of programming and python scripting, which I am missing.

Quote:
I also prefer SH4's 'Request New Orders' radio function, except for the part where responses are instant, rather than having to wait for the new instructions.
I am not sure that OH hasn't something similar (look at how it handles wolfpack operations and refittings at sea), and some of TDW's patches (one for all, the 'Contact reports wolfpack patch') come close to the feature you are describing.

Quote:
SH4 also has a fully functioning grid map, with both Latitude/Logitude and KM Grids working properly.
A fairly accurate marine Marinequadratkarte (not as accurate as the SHIV one though) was added in game by Illyustrator. After its release, Trevally has updated OH's objectives so that quadrant coordinates instead of lat/long coordinates are given as patrol areas. What still needs to be done (and probably won't, at least in the near future), is game-generated to contact reports by BdU to give contact positions as quadrants.

Quote:
But SH5 looks real good. No, that's not meant to be a backhanded complement/insult. It really does look very, very good.
That is sure!

Last edited by gap; 12-16-13 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-16-13, 05:52 PM   #9
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I should have a look into GWX for this feature. How is the gate animation triggered?
It's actually work done for LSH. BBW did a mod for GWX with permissions.
Old 12-16-13, 05:58 PM   #10
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
It's actually work done for LSH. BBW did a mod for GWX with permissions.
Thanks privateer, who did the original gates? Do you know how they work? Creating keyframed anymations is no a secret, but getting them to play/stop at the right moment is another matter...
Old 12-16-13, 06:09 PM   #11
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Nautilus42 I think?
Here's BBW's version for GWX
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1295

I'm thinking it's just a Watchman controller if I remember right.
Old 12-16-13, 06:17 PM   #12
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Nautilus42 I think?
Here's BBW's version for GWX
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1295

I'm thinking it's just a Watchman controller if I remember right.
Never met that controller before.

Thank you for the link by the way, I will have a look into the mod
Old 12-16-13, 06:34 PM   #13
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Watchman just does a rotation back and forth.
The Gates are set to open and close on the settings of Watchman.
You need to time your passage to match the gates.
Old 12-16-13, 06:47 PM   #14
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Watchman just does a rotation back and forth.
The Gates are set to open and close on the settings of Watchman.
You need to time your passage to match the gates.
So the gates are opening/closing at fixed times? That would be easy to achieve even with a normal RotationKeyFrames controller
Old 12-16-13, 07:02 PM   #15
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ya. Watchman controllers were used on some AI Units for Watch Crews and radar/antenna movements.

I did discuss with other GWX Devs, doing a Fake Gun as a type of control for some actions.

The Air Raid Siren in GWX uses a fake gun and fake shell to get the effect.
It was only created as a quick idea based off of Beta testers comments saying how cool it would be if........

That's the stuff that drives me. How cool would it be if..........