SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-20, 04:07 AM   #1
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default Sunrise and Sunset shifting

Hi All,

I've been experiencing an intersting phenomenon as of late:

The sunrise and sunset are shifting, at times to a point, wheras it is dark during the day and light during the night.

Before, it happened when being far north/south and I explained it for that reason.

Now, it's happening just west of Lorient.

I'm using CoM10.0.

You guys have any clues?
Old 06-10-20, 04:11 AM   #2
Levyathan89
Soundman

Downloads: 49

I know this phenomenon from Silent Hunter 4 (Dark Waters). There, these shifts are caused by using high levels of time compression over a long time period. Haven't seen this in SH3 yet, though.
Levyathan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 04:17 AM   #3
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levyathan89 View Post
I know this phenomenon from Silent Hunter 4 (Dark Waters). There, these shifts are caused by using high levels of time compression over a long time period. Haven't seen this in SH3 yet, though.

Thanks!

The highest time compression I go to is 64x and never longer than several hours or so ...
Old 06-10-20, 04:33 AM   #4
Kapitän
The Old Man

Further details:

23 Sept.1940 - Sunrise 10:00 - Sunset 22:49

24 Sept.1940 - Sunrise 11:56 - Sunset 00:40, 25 Sept.

25 Sept.1940 - Sunrise 21:41 - Sunset 10:01, 26 Sept.

26 Sept. 1940 - Sunrise 23:30 - Sunset 11:22, 27 Sept.

I wonder, if this could have something to do with the Randomised Events File of CCoM10 ...

Last edited by Kapitän; 06-11-20 at 02:44 PM.
Kapitän is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 05:12 AM   #5
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post

I wonder, if this could have something to do with the Randomised Events File of CCoM10 ...
Don’t think so.
Your weather clock seems running offset...maybe reset the weather? (Don’t remember the hot keys)
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-20, 05:56 AM   #6
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Don’t think so.
Your weather clock seems running offset...maybe reset the weather? (Don’t remember the hot keys)
"Weather Clock - Reset": I didn't even know, that there was such a thing ...

Where do I find that, please?
Old 05-31-23, 07:39 PM   #7
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default quick question

Had a question about Frame rates. My frame rates run about 40-160 at sea depending on weather I’m near land or not. They’re not as high near land. In port with traffic I get the 40+ and at sea I’m in the 140-160 range. On the Map, interior crew management screens up to 340+fps. I think it might be a tad more. But before my question, on this post, about high frame rates and the effects it has on the night times and day times shifting. I do understand that traveling, east-west, north–south and seasons effect the day light and night time dark periods by a few hours. No problems there.
I do spend quite a few hours in the, high frame rate “Map” screen and when I did over the course of several weeks on patrol the day/night hours shifted almost opposite. Sun rise was like 2330 and sun set was, 0930. I really don’t understand the technicals on why frame rates effect the clock and light and dark periods. So I gave it a shot and using my AMD software (ADRENALINE ) I set a max limit of 60fps. Problem solved. Everything maxes out at 60fps, including the nav map. My monitors are 60hz, so I notice no ill effects visually and there was not this time shift. Is this OK or should I bump it up a bit. Not clear what the optimum frame rate setting should be for best results. Opinions welcome. Now to my question. I have a gaming laptop with a monitor that’s a 144hz monitor. Should I set my frame rate limit to 144fps ? I’m thinking 60fps would cause negative visual issues. Or should I just leave it be and not set any frame rate limits. My video card is a NVidia on this laptop and not AMD, if this makes a difference.
Does anyone experience the “time shifting over time and make these frame rate limit adjustments ? Maybe I not understanding this “Time Shift / Frame Rate” connection and am way off base here. All Mega Mods have time shifts for me. Thanx
Old 06-01-23, 07:14 AM   #8
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
Had a question about Frame rates. My frame rates run about 40-160 at sea depending on weather I’m near land or not. They’re not as high near land. In port with traffic I get the 40+ and at sea I’m in the 140-160 range. On the Map, interior crew management screens up to 340+fps. I think it might be a tad more. But before my question, on this post, about high frame rates and the effects it has on the night times and day times shifting. I do understand that traveling, east-west, north–south and seasons effect the day light and night time dark periods by a few hours. No problems there.
I do spend quite a few hours in the, high frame rate “Map” screen and when I did over the course of several weeks on patrol the day/night hours shifted almost opposite. Sun rise was like 2330 and sun set was, 0930. I really don’t understand the technicals on why frame rates effect the clock and light and dark periods. So I gave it a shot and using my AMD software (ADRENALINE ) I set a max limit of 60fps. Problem solved. Everything maxes out at 60fps, including the nav map. My monitors are 60hz, so I notice no ill effects visually and there was not this time shift. Is this OK or should I bump it up a bit. Not clear what the optimum frame rate setting should be for best results. Opinions welcome. Now to my question. I have a gaming laptop with a monitor that’s a 144hz monitor. Should I set my frame rate limit to 144fps ? I’m thinking 60fps would cause negative visual issues. Or should I just leave it be and not set any frame rate limits. My video card is a NVidia on this laptop and not AMD, if this makes a difference.
Does anyone experience the “time shifting over time and make these frame rate limit adjustments ? Maybe I not understanding this “Time Shift / Frame Rate” connection and am way off base here. All Mega Mods have time shifts for me. Thanx

So, I have the FPS lockedat 60 using Bandicam. I do seem to notice though, that there are some horizontal lines, when moving about in the boat.

Time shifts seem to be within range, considering I'm currently heading for the Far East.

My monitor information DVI is:
Model: Ijyama PL2273HD
H.Freq. 67.2 KKz
V.Freq. 59.7 Hz
Resolution: 1920x1080
Pixel Clock: 139.7 MHz

I'm not quite sure myself, which would be the ideal FPS rate, when considering these monitor specs.
Old 06-01-23, 10:35 AM   #9
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Thank you

I guess I'll just haf to experiment. It's easy but Game loading time consuming ... LOL