SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-21, 05:13 PM   #1
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0
Default Radeon Graphics Driver

Is there a way to stop Microsoft Win 10 updates from installing new drivers for my Radeon graphics card? i'm getting tired of going into the registry to update driver version so the Adrenalin 2020 software will work again with the new drivers. When i had a Geforce graphic card i had to install the Geforce Experience to stop automatic driver updates. I like to play Fallout New Vegas when the wife goes and spends the day visiting her sisters,nieces and nephews.
And what do i find when i get some real time to play, and my game just doesn't look right i've got the latest greatest drivers and no software to re-adjust graphic settings that were set just the way i liked them. WTF!

If anyone knows of an app or any other way of keeping my drivers from auto updating ... i'll buy ya a beer. i mean really why can't video drivers be a optional install like in the old days. And if you want to know how to change driver versions in the registry to make the software work here is a YOUtube link . I have done this twice now and it worked for me with no problems.

If there any easier alternatives i would sure like to know. Tks
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 05:52 PM   #2
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Current drivers and MS in this timeline are what you call a pita.

Possible solution (try it):
Right-click on "My PC", click manage.
Click Device manager.
Go to graphic cards,
(assuming there are two entries, one being the onboard graphics, and the other the intended-to-use graphic card),
right-click on the onboard graphics -> disable,
the other graphic card one should be enabled of course. It should not install updates automatically then.

If you right click "graphic card" and "properties", you can also go back to the last working driver, if the new one does not work. At least it worked during the last update, but you know.. Mickeysoft.
The guys that give you Hafnium and other not-yet-detected fails.

Not sure, but worth a try. Win 10 is not what you want to have if you want to keep control and know what you are doing.

Or get the Enterprise version

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 03-13-21 at 06:00 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 06:48 PM   #3
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

To stop Windows from doing automatic driver updates in win10 pro you can type into the taskbar search box "Change Device Installation Settings" click on the Control Panel shortcut "Change Device Installation Settings" and select "No" (your device might not work as expected) Save Changes and exit.

That should fix your graphics card problem.
Old 03-13-21, 07:53 PM   #4
Gorpet
Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Current drivers and MS in this timeline are what you call a pita.

Possible solution (try it):
Right-click on "My PC", click manage.
Click Device manager.
Go to graphic cards,
(assuming there are two entries, one being the onboard graphics, and the other the intended-to-use graphic card),
right-click on the onboard graphics -> disable,
the other graphic card one should be enabled of course. It should not install updates automatically then.

If you right click "graphic card" and "properties", you can also go back to the last working driver, if the new one does not work. At least it worked during the last update, but you know.. Mickeysoft.
The guys that give you Hafnium and other not-yet-detected fails.

Not sure, but worth a try. Win 10 is not what you want to have if you want to keep control and know what you are doing.

Or get the Enterprise version
I have a desktop System 1 card only a RX-5700XT and when the driver is downloaded Microsoft does not make changes to the Adrenalin software. This video shows you how to manually enter the new driver version into the software registry to get the Adrenalin software to work with the new driver version. Your solution may work on laptops such as mine with two installed graphics cards.Nvidia and Intel, as a quick solution i chose the Geforce Experience it allows me to download new drivers if i want to or keep the ones i have indefinitely. Thanks for your reply Catfish... by the way i have a nephew who's nickname is the same and he supplies those whiskered fish to many a fish camps here locally on the St. Johns river.
Old 03-13-21, 08:04 PM   #5
Gorpet
Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
To stop Windows from doing automatic driver updates in win10 pro you can type into the taskbar search box "Change Device Installation Settings" click on the Control Panel shortcut "Change Device Installation Settings" and select "No" (your device might not work as expected) Save Changes and exit.

That should fix your graphics card problem.
Ok , I changed it i didn't have all that color stuff but i have the option to change back so i will give it a try Thank's

sorry got called away our dog was chasing the neighbors dog around the our backyard and the wife was getting excited over nothing.the intruder dug his way in down on the back corner of our lot for a reason.There's better Grub,Toys and company on our side of the fence.

Moonlight .. I will see how this works and let ya know . Anyway i'm going to grab a beer and enjoy some time with mans best friends.

Last edited by Gorpet; 03-13-21 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-14-21, 04:33 AM   #6
Moonlight
Admiral

That coloured text was to highlight the exact text you were going to type into the search bar and what to look for.

My Win10 pro didn't have the option below, so I thought "that's no bleeding good as some Woke pillock under 40 will need there bloody hand holding to do this" so I used my noggin (not insignificant brain) and found an easier way to do it and posted that for you instead, I'm not saying that you are one of the pillocks above but I didn't know that did I?.

Even a respected site like "tomsHARDWARE" tells you how to do it and why.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news...pdates-windows
Old 03-14-21, 06:02 AM   #7
Catfish

hey i'm much too old for a woke pillock

The above may work but it stops all of the push-through updates, i guess you cannot differentiate between graphics and all other drivers, but .. try and report

Last edited by Catfish; 03-15-21 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-14-21, 06:48 AM   #8
Moonlight
Admiral

I didn't say it was perfect did I?, anyone who lets Corporations update their drivers on their PC without any prior knowledge of what they are doing needs their bloody head examined.

Last edited by Moonlight; 03-14-21 at 09:38 AM.
Moonlight is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-21, 04:36 AM   #9
Catfish

^ Good luck trying to stop a Windows 10 update, you can postpone the update, but not forever.
Unless you have the Enterprise version.

Old 03-27-21, 03:27 PM   #10
Gorpet
Still Searching

Ok guys, I got a new update installed the 2021-03 cumulative version 20H2x64 system KB 5001649 ... I don't know if there were any driver updates in this version but my system seems to be working fine. It seemed to take longer to download and install the update but i found no problems in device manager after the update . My Radeon Hud is still working I did read the Tom's hardware article and i'm the type that believes from past experience with updating drivers is if everything is working don't mess with it. Moonlight it appears your fix has worked. I will keep you updated. Tks.
Old 03-27-21, 03:34 PM   #11
Gorpet
Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
That coloured text was to highlight the exact text you were going to type into the search bar and what to look for.

My Win10 pro didn't have the option below, so I thought "that's no bleeding good as some Woke pillock under 40 will need there bloody hand holding to do this" so I used my noggin (not insignificant brain) and found an easier way to do it and posted that for you instead, I'm not saying that you are one of the pillocks above but I didn't know that did I?.

Even a respected site like "tomsHARDWARE" tells you how to do it and why.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news...pdates-windows
Lol, i got it sometimes us old pillock's are a little slow to see what's in front of us
Old 03-27-21, 03:47 PM   #12
Gorpet
Still Searching

Quote:
hey i'm much too old for a woke pillock

The above may work but it stops all of the push-through updates, i guess you cannot differentiate between graphics and all other drivers, but .. try and report
What do you mean by push thru updates ?
Old 03-27-21, 04:19 PM   #13
Catfish

Microsoft reserves itself the right to automatically "update" your drivers, and you cannot hinder them. Same for newer graphic card companies.
You can manually remove it, install old ones and have fun for a while, until the next update being perpetrated on you. In some cases, new drivers are not better or have unexpected impacts on other parts and devices.
If you are behind a server in a domain, updates have to be allowed, same if you have a stand-alone single Enterprise edition of Win 10.
But as long you have 'home' or professional' you cannot evade it.
This is progress.

Old 03-27-21, 07:10 PM   #14
Gorpet
Still Searching

Quote:
Microsoft reserves itself the right to automatically "update" your drivers, and you cannot hinder them. Same for newer graphic card companies.
You can manually remove it, install old ones and have fun for a while, until the next update being perpetrated on you. In some cases, new drivers are not better or have unexpected impacts on other parts and devices.
If you are behind a server in a domain, updates have to be allowed, same if you have a stand-alone single Enterprise edition of Win 10.
But as long you have 'home' or professional' you cannot evade it.
This is progress.
Tks Catfish for your reply i have win 10 Pro. Well hell letem make enough money and they will refine it till you pay top dollar for your computer. But it will belong to them. So one day in the future i'll take this tower out in the backyard and let go a 12 gauge round into it. And go back and start reading my paperback books. Unless my neighbor turns me in for having them.
Old 05-17-21, 10:13 PM   #15
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Best solution don't use Windows stick to Mac or Linux!

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote