SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-14-19, 12:58 PM   #121
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I haven't watched your link but the fires aren't limiting themselves to the remote woods. Look at Middletown and Santa Rosa. Those areas were not remote but they still burned badly by just being near the remote woods. What about the Berkeley hills some years ago? My house is next the the freeway in San Rafael but it would still be consumed if a big fire started nearby. It's worrying to say the least and we are in for a fall after a big wet winter. The problem is how do you control those natural burn offs? (WATCH THE VIDEO...ESSENTIALLY U DON'T! Sure you don't need fishing gear?
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2270431&postcount=4 NUTHIN NEW AS FROM MY OLD APPRAISER DAYS IN THE SANTA CRUZ MTNS AND BAY AREA IN GENERAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME!
A Cal Fire chief lives on my street in Napa and the Napa Sonoma hills-Mayacamas mountains are just two blocks over and will burn in their turn when the conditions are right- of that there is no doubt <MY OWN DAMN PREDICTION; THREE YEARS AHEAD OF THE NAPA FIRE DISASTERS)

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-19, 02:30 AM   #122
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

it begins...again: this message on my computer and my cell phone in the last hour
Quote:
A Red Flag Warning has been issued for Napa County beginning 9pm on Monday, September 23rd through Wednesday morning. Gusty winds and low humidity anticipated. Napa County officials are working closely with PG&E and monitoring weather situation. Information on how to prepare for power shutdowns and other preparedness information can be found at readynapacounty.org.
so cars will be prepped for semi bugout contingency and long hoses with nozzles laid out for any drifting embers... temps in the 90's do not help! Wife's in the sack so it's my watch as the winds are from the west so any fires would blow toward me unlike the previous 2017 big one, within 8000 feet, where the wind was from the north keeping the fire out of the immediate neighborhood.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-23-19 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-23-19, 02:56 AM   #123
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

All the best for you both mate, stay safe.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-19, 06:40 AM   #124
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

All the best to you and yours Aktung

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-19, 10:56 AM   #125
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Thanks gents; this is probably much ado about nothing other than precaution; PG&E is on uber- vigilence, partly to improve its miserable corporate image, and thus monitoring its faulty power grids to instantly shut down power to aged high voltage lines if they reflect irregularity from high winds. I applaud erring on the side of caution even if it means no air-conditioning etc.(garage doors to be left open) The alert is in effect for 72 hours...9 CA counties are involved in the alert.

Old 09-30-19, 04:37 AM   #126
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

@Aktungbby:

I've been meaning to ask you if the fire authorities in NorCal have appreciably 'upped their game' in anticipation of further bad wildfires. Here in SoCal, there was a recent alert because of the infamous Santa Ana Winds starting a bit early this year. Southern California Edison, a major power supplier in SoCal, instituted blackouts in some of the more fire-prone areas down here, just as PG&E were doing up North. We've been getting a lot of news coverage down here of the Santa Ana fire risks and, among the stories, has been a rolling out of new aerial firefighting technology, including advanced systems to allow aircraft to fly more safely and 'see' through smoke, and to fly water/retardant dropping missions at night. Have you heard of likewise actions in your area? Just curious...

Stay safe...

<O>
Old 09-30-19, 09:43 AM   #127
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME DURING THE GREAT '17 FIRE
Half the neighbors are packed and gone but the fire-chief neighbor just got home and has stated he's 'not going anywhere' so I'll sleep on the sofa with two cars packed and cat carriers in case of a change in the fire; as winds are expected to rise. My very nervous wife is considerably calmer since the chief is staying put!
WELL WE'VE HAD BLACKOUTS IMPOSED IN NAPA WITHIN THE PAST WEEK, HOWEVER MY CAL FIRECHIEF ACROSS THE STREET WHO KEPT COMING HOME TO SLEEP IN HIS OWN BED DURING THE GREAT FIRE HE'S RETIRED RECENTLY; SO THERE GOES MY PERSONAL BUGOUT ALERT SYSTEM.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-30-19 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-08-19, 10:50 PM   #128
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
A Red Flag Warning is now in effect until 5:00pm Thursday.
At it again; the weather forcast for 5 days is heavy winds: 40 mph and centered on very dry Napa County. PGE advises power shutdowns so our electric garage is open in bugout mode. I just drove my daughter to a Jimmie Hendrix Experience event in Santa Rosa and back (100mi.) and every gas station I passed is littlebighorned with cars gassing up for any contingency in two counties causing traffic jams on streets adjoining every station. Due to power shutdowns, my daughter's museum will be closed tomorrow....due to weather conditions, no bbqs as it is also a "spare-the-air day. I anticipate morning coffee on the gas grill in the AM!
Quote:
Advisory: PG&E has confirmed power shutoff in Napa County beginning tonight.
Dear AKTUNGBBY,
PG&E has confirmed plans to shutoff power to up to 32,000 customers beginning late Tuesday night and in to Wednesday morning. PG&E should notify customers directly.

Napa County has established a Public Information Line for the Emergency Operations Center. The public is encouraged to call (707) 299-1501, not the non-emergency dispatch number, for information regarding the Public Safety Power Shutoff. This line is staffed with English and Spanish speaking staff.

PG&E’s website is experiencing increased traffic and experiencing delays. However, for more information on PG&E and public safety power shutoffs, including whether your address will be directly affected visit:
https://www.pge.com/en_US/safety/emergency-preparedness/natural-disaster/wildfires/public-safety-power-shutoff-faq.page.

For PSPS information and Napa County maps, visit:
https://readynapacounty.org/219/Public-Safety-Power-Shutoff

Napa County officials continue to monitor the situation and work with PG&E. Information will be shared via Nixle and the County’s social media platforms.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-08-19 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 12:25 AM   #129
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

San Rafael is apparently not part of the brown out rotation but I gassed the car earlier anyway.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-19, 10:12 PM   #130
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Currently one county over in Sonoma, 57,000 acres are burned with 200,000 people evacuated from their homes amid rolling power blackouts by PG&E which I've been subject to also for 15 hours today due to fierce 50-98!+ mph winds. The fire is only 5% contained after two days...so far no fatalities are reported. This isn't the horror of the 2017 fires or Paradise; but it a nasty terrain challenging bugger in its own right and the winds are a big factor in containment https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2019/10/23/kincade-fire/

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-27-19 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-27-19, 10:32 PM   #131
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Have you thought about relocating your family when your wife retires?

It's not going to get any better ... not to mention a little earthquake could ruin your property values.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-19, 10:49 PM   #132
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

/\ nope! My bride's been retired two years now. We'll stay put-two Napa quakes notwithstanding. Moreover, from my 13 year appraisal career centering in the Santa Cruz mtns where the devestating 1989 Loma Prieta quake epicentered, my files were used exclusively by FEMA to aid homeowners. No sales prices in progress or subseqent to the disaster were affected by such things. Prices stayed the same and have gone up... astronomically...that's the price you pay and accepted by CA buyers along with their quake insurance. The average home price in Silicon valley is $1,000,000...for a shack on the Hayward fault!!, "location location location" (and good school districts) is the rule still; nothing el$e matters!
!

Old 10-28-19, 08:05 PM   #133
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Got some prayers for you and your neighbors Acktung. Hang in there buddy.
Old 10-29-19, 12:21 AM   #134
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Other than smokey air quality, no real danger on my side of mountain. Sonoma is up to 73225 acres burned with 15% contaiment and over 200 structures burned. Some evacuees are permitted to return. The fire is heading NE toward Middletown which was a disaster in 2015; this could be good as fuels: dry grass and trees, are already burned out there, so the fire will slow. High winds are unabated though and gusts have clocked in at 104 mph! Rolling power outages is still a issue and parts of Napa have not been restored-street lights are out on main blvds...every intersection is a four-way stop but veteran citizens are behaving magnicently.

Old 10-31-19, 10:05 AM   #135
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

As of today, 100,000 evacuees are permitted to return home
"at their own risk" The burned area encompasses 77,000 acres and is 35% contained. Firefighters in Northern California made "pretty significant progress" battling the Kincade blaze, Cal Fire representative Jonathan Cox said Wednesday. The fire, which has scorched 76,825 acres, is now 45% contained.

The red flag warning for the region has ended, and the winds have subsided "quite a bit," according to a representative from the National Weather Service. Temperatures are expected to plunge to the high 20's overnight.
More than 5,000 people remain under evacuation orders. Sonoma County Sheriff Mark Essick said that 10 people had been arrested Wednesday for illegally entering evacuation zones.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-31-19 at 12:35 PM.

Tags
california, wild fires