Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-19, 02:21 PM   #1
StimpsonJCat
Watch

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0
Default Understanding TWOS chapters/missions

I'm hoping the fine people of the Subsim community can help me understand how SH5 TWOS campaign works.

In my first campaign in SH5 TWOS I am on Coastal Waters. I went to the eastern British coast and completed the three separate 24 hour patrols that are consecutively assigned. After completing the third patrol toward the northeastern coast I get a message from BDE that i can return to base unless I still have torpedoes and adequate fuel, in which case I am free to continue hunting.

I still have plenty of time before the official end date of the Coastal Waters chapter int he campaign. I see other optional side missions available such as the Scapa Flow raid and I think Baltic Operations. Should i pursue those missions now or can i wait? If i return to my assigned dock immediately will that end Coastal Waters and make those missions unavailable? How about just going for a refitting? I'm just a bit confused how this campaign system works.
StimpsonJCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 04:14 PM   #2
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat View Post
I'm hoping the fine people of the Subsim community can help me understand how SH5 TWOS campaign works.

In my first campaign in SH5 TWOS I am on Coastal Waters. I went to the eastern British coast and completed the three separate 24 hour patrols that are consecutively assigned. After completing the third patrol toward the northeastern coast I get a message from BDE that i can return to base unless I still have torpedoes and adequate fuel, in which case I am free to continue hunting.

I still have plenty of time before the official end date of the Coastal Waters chapter int he campaign. I see other optional side missions available such as the Scapa Flow raid and I think Baltic Operations. Should i pursue those missions now or can i wait? If i return to my assigned dock immediately will that end Coastal Waters and make those missions unavailable? How about just going for a refitting? I'm just a bit confused how this campaign system works.
You can continue your patrol until you get low of fuel. Sink'em all and add tonnage. No limitations.

Good hunt.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 05:38 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi SJC
Most missions (CW, NWA, SWA), are made up of 3 patrol areas where you have to mark out your area as stated in your orders and patrol that area for a length of time without making a game save.

BO is a useful entrance to the game where basically you only need to sink 2 ships to complete this mission.
The exceptions to this is where you are given a special mission to do such as in NWA , OW or other patrol orders as in OW which consists of attacking ships.

BTF is a poor mission with flawed AI and the only satisfaction is the tonnage total that you sink, but it really is just a turkey shoot.
BTF will usuually appear after you have requested CW which does not stop you doing it. In TWoS no mission is compulsory and all ships sunk are added to your tonnage totals.

CW is IMO only worth doing once due to being plagued by aircraft and as long as you sink a couple of ships in this mission will help your career promotion points build towards your VIIB upgrade.

NWA is worth doing more than once because of the AMC's and troop ship tonnages. These ships use Loch Ewe as their port.

SWA which is the furtherst mission you will have to travel to get to does finiish the Total Germany campaign.

While you might be tempted to do SWA I prefer to be around the NWA area so I am in an easier distance of OW which is a short mission and leave SWA to end the campaign on.

While you can get 3 promotion crew points for completing a patrol grid mission you only get 1 promotion point for doing special hazardous missions which IMO seems a bit unfair for the time it takes to do these lenghty missions. The only upside is you can make game saves as and when you want to.

It is worth noting that after OW finishes there is still time to do SWA which ends the Total Germany campaign.

You might find this helpful.
Open Horizons II > Campaign Dates > Bases > U-Boats > An Essential Guide
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-19, 10:10 PM   #4
StimpsonJCat
Watch

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post

Thank you. So if i'm understanding this right I can basically do any of these missions as they become available and within the set time frame. I also don't have to do them if I don't want to. I assume i can also go back to a friendly port and re-fit if necessary to continue taking on missions or just sinking tonnage in general.

Right now I probably have about 3/4 fuel and all but one of my torpedoes. BTF and NWA are both available. I could, if wanted, take on either of those missions, or I could also just cruise around looking for ships to sink anywhere on the map. Is that correct? When Coastal Waters is coming to an end a i should get a message to return to port to end that chapter, correct?
StimpsonJCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 06:11 AM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi SJC
Quote:
I can basically do any of these missions as they become available and within the set time frame.
Yes.

Quote:
I also don't have to do them if I don't want to.
Correct although it is recommended to sink a couple of ships in each mission apart from BTF.

Quote:
I assume i can also go back to a friendly port and re-fit if necessary to continue taking on missions or just sinking tonnage in general.
Apart from Helgoland I have never attempted that.

Quote:
i should get a message to return to port to end that chapter, correct?
No, you will not get any message. CW will just drop off the map.

All missions have a start and end date when they appear and disappear. The only control you have is whether you accept them or not and they can be done numerable times.
My missions are usually like this: BO x 1 > CW x 1 > BTF x 0 > NWA x 3 > OW x 1 > SWA x1 or part of 2.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 05:20 PM   #6
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat View Post

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=3816
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote