Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-15, 10:07 PM   #1
Johndb
Watch

Downloads: 227
Uploads: 0
Default 4 Bearings Method

After an absence of approx 2 years I decided to install silent hunter 5 on my computer again.

First off I just want to thank all the people and Modders for all the excellent work and time spent getting SH5 to where it is now.

After spending many hours watching installation and various tutorials I have managed to successfully install the mega mod Wolves of steel with the latest patch 12 using real navigation.

Decided to brush up on manual TDC etc using the Historical Missions before attempting the Campaign. This went very well.

After watching the excellent 4 bearings videos by stoiman I loaded the 4 bearings mission.

I just can't seem to locate the ship using the hydrophone manually or with the Sonar mans help. In the video I should pick the ship up at around 258 degrees.

What am I doing Wrong? I have checked the Hydrophone on other Historical missions and it seems to work perfectly.

Any help will be appreciated.
Johndb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 01:30 AM   #2
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndb View Post
After an absence of approx 2 years I decided to install silent hunter 5 on my computer again.

First off I just want to thank all the people and Modders for all the excellent work and time spent getting SH5 to where it is now.

After spending many hours watching installation and various tutorials I have managed to successfully install the mega mod Wolves of steel with the latest patch 12 using real navigation.

Decided to brush up on manual TDC etc using the Historical Missions before attempting the Campaign. This went very well.

After watching the excellent 4 bearings videos by stoiman I loaded the 4 bearings mission.

I just can't seem to locate the ship using the hydrophone manually or with the Sonar mans help. In the video I should pick the ship up at around 258 degrees.

What am I doing Wrong? I have checked the Hydrophone on other Historical missions and it seems to work perfectly.

u can take the tutorial from the game menu and there will explain u all what u need to do.... in that 4 bearing mission the ship contact is around 23 - 1:00 AM i am not sure cos is played long time ago that mission
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 06:06 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi John

Check this out it might help.
Post #22 4 Bearing Method By Kuikueg + Video Links

Post #57 Using The 4 Bearing True Method By Trevally

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 06:54 AM   #4
Johndb
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
u can take the tutorial from the game menu and there will explain u all what u need to do.... in that 4 bearing mission the ship contact is around 23 - 1:00 AM i am not sure cos is played long time ago that mission
Thanks Sjizzle. I started the 4 bearing tutorial and then run the Mission and all worked fine.
When you run the tutorial it eventually TC the time to around 03:15.

How can I change the Mission settings so that I can Plot the Bearings all on my own without going through the whole tutorial again where it shows you how to use the mapping tools ?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 11-18-15, 07:07 AM   #5
Johndb
Watch

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the video and got all this information a couple of days ago.

How can I set the Mission setting for the 4 Bearings so that I can practice this method on my own without the tutorial help.

At the moment the Mission setting are:
Hour 8
Current Hour 0
Etc,Etc

....... Player Sub
Depth -25
Heading 90
Speed 0
Crew rating Veteran
Location 50 Degrees 12 minutes N 20 degrees 44 minutes W

Thanks once again for your kind response.

John
Old 11-18-15, 07:59 AM   #6
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Quote:
Thanks Sjizzle. I started the 4 bearing tutorial and then run the Mission and all worked fine.
When you run the tutorial it eventually TC the time to around 03:15.

How can I change the Mission settings so that I can Plot the Bearings all on my own without going through the whole tutorial again where it shows you how to use the mapping tools ?

Thanks again for all the help.
yeas u can load the mission from the game menu > Historical missions and from there select four bearing method mission i did a test 2 min. ago and work very well for me
Old 11-18-15, 08:58 AM   #7
Johndb
Watch

Quote:
yeas u can load the mission from the game menu > Historical missions and from there select four bearing method mission i did a test 2 min. ago and work very well for me
Thanks, But I tried mine and it always starts at 23.00 Naut. the only way to get my first contact is to advance time to 03.07 Naut before I can pick up the contact via the hydrophone. Even if I use the tutorial it always says advancing time to sync with Mission.

Where can I download the same mission used by stoiman in his videos. He started his 4 bearing mission at 30 degrees heading , 19 feet under the water and a totally different location and time.

Are you using the same wolves of steel Mega Mod or sobers ?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-18-15, 09:08 AM   #8
Johndb
Watch

Quote:
Thanks, But I tried mine and it always starts at 23.00 Naut. the only way to get my first contact is to advance time to 03.07 Naut before I can pick up the contact via the hydrophone. Even if I use the tutorial it always says advancing time to sync with Mission.

Where can I download the same mission used by stoiman in his videos. He started his 4 bearing mission at 30 degrees heading , 19 feet under the water and a totally different location and time.

Thanks for all the help.
By the way, is there another way to donate to this site.
In the past I used to use my PayPal account but I would prefer to make a direct payment using my credit card.

John
Old 11-18-15, 02:11 PM   #9
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Quote:

Thanks for all the help.
that stoian video is very old and i think that four bearing mission is self made by stoian for that tutorial ... i didn't saw him online from long time ago on subsim or skype if i mange to talk with him i will ask about that mission
Old 11-18-15, 02:52 PM   #10
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Hi Johndb

This sounds like a TC issue

In the tutorial it is set to advance time :-

Code:
DisplayText|I am going to advance time to sync the tutorial.  Please wait.|0|0|0|0|<waittime>
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Set_Time_Compression,512,0,0,0,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Wait_for_time,03,0,1,,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0;******************
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Set_Time_Compression,32,0,0,0,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Wait_for_time,03,10,1,,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0;******************
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Set_Time_Compression,1,0,0,0,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Hydrophone_normal_sweep,0,0,0,0,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0
DisplayText|We will do a hydro check now.|0|0|0|0|5
DisplayText|Ok we have a contact.  Lets start gathering the information. As this target is Long Range and Slow, we will wait 20mins between bearings.  The longer the range and slower the contact, you must increase your wait times.|0|0|0|0|<waittime>
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Toggle_Activate_Clock,0,0,0,0,0,0,1|0|0|0|0|0
DisplayText|Please start the stopwatch so we can time our bearings.|0|0|0|0|8
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Report_nearest_sound_contact,0,0,0,0,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|5
DisplayText|We now have a hydro bearing to the contact of 326.  We need to turn this into a true bearing.|0|0|0|0|<waittime>
You can see the the script will advance TC x512 until 3.00am
Does your game set to 512 TC? I think WoS may restrict this to 256?
@ 3.00 the TC goes to TCx32 until 3.10
Can you confirm this is happening?

Last edited by Trevally.; 11-18-15 at 03:00 PM.
Trevally. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 10:21 PM   #11
Johndb
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
Hi Johndb

This sounds like a TC issue

In the tutorial it is set to advance time :-

Code:
DisplayText|I am going to advance time to sync the tutorial.  Please wait.|0|0|0|0|<waittime>
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Set_Time_Compression,512,0,0,0,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Wait_for_time,03,0,1,,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0;******************
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Set_Time_Compression,32,0,0,0,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Wait_for_time,03,10,1,,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0;******************
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Set_Time_Compression,1,0,0,0,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Hydrophone_normal_sweep,0,0,0,0,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|0
DisplayText|We will do a hydro check now.|0|0|0|0|5
DisplayText|Ok we have a contact.  Lets start gathering the information. As this target is Long Range and Slow, we will wait 20mins between bearings.  The longer the range and slower the contact, you must increase your wait times.|0|0|0|0|<waittime>
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Toggle_Activate_Clock,0,0,0,0,0,0,1|0|0|0|0|0
DisplayText|Please start the stopwatch so we can time our bearings.|0|0|0|0|8
ExecuteAutomationCommand|Report_nearest_sound_contact,0,0,0,0,0,0,0|0|0|0|0|5
DisplayText|We now have a hydro bearing to the contact of 326.  We need to turn this into a true bearing.|0|0|0|0|<waittime>
You can see the the script will advance TC x512 until 3.00am
Does your game set to 512 TC? I think WoS may restrict this to 256?
@ 3.00 the TC goes to TCx32 until 3.10
Can you confirm this is happening?
Hello Trevally,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a problem if I run the 4 bearings Tutorial before going into the History missions and starting the 4 bearings mission.
The tutorial advances the time to sync to the tutorial and contact starts at 03:10 . The only problem is that submarine is submerged when it advances the time by 3 hours and I get very low on CO2.
Before I can do anything I need to surface the sub so that the CO2 can go to 100%.
I now dive to a depth around 25 m. If I go to the sonar room I can pick up the contact and start plotting its course. This all starts around 03:15 Naut.

Now if I start the 4 Bearing Mission without first starting the Tutorial the mission time is 23.0 naut. The sub is -25 m and a heading on 90.
If I go to the sonar room and manually check for contacts using the hydrophone I get nothing.

Hope you can help.
Old 11-18-15, 10:22 PM   #12
Johndb
Watch

Quote:
that stoian video is very old and i think that four bearing mission is self made by stoian for that tutorial ... i didn't saw him online from long time ago on subsim or skype if i mange to talk with him i will ask about that mission
Thanks for trying.
Old 11-19-15, 04:00 AM   #13
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Hello Trevally,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a problem if I run the 4 bearings Tutorial before going into the History missions and starting the 4 bearings mission.
The tutorial advances the time to sync to the tutorial and contact starts at 03:10 . The only problem is that submarine is submerged when it advances the time by 3 hours and I get very low on CO2.
Before I can do anything I need to surface the sub so that the CO2 can go to 100%.
I now dive to a depth around 25 m. If I go to the sonar room I can pick up the contact and start plotting its course. This all starts around 03:15 Naut.
The tutorial and mission are setup so that the target is very far away.
As I do not know how long the player will take to get through all the map work practice, I have to sync the game so that the ship is in the correct location. This is why time must be advanced to 3.10.

So this is why if you run the mission only - you cant hear the ship (to far away), so 3.10am is when you must take the first bearing.

The CO2 issue is odd. 4 hours submerged should not be an issue for CO2.
I would just ignore it and continue the tutorial.

Quote:
Now if I start the 4 Bearing Mission without first starting the Tutorial the mission time is 23.0 naut. The sub is -25 m and a heading on 90.
If I go to the sonar room and manually check for contacts using the hydrophone I get nothing.

Hope you can help.
If you want to practice the 4 bearings method without the tutorial running - you must (as you are doing) advance TC and keep checking sonar. As soon as you hear the ship - take your first bearing.
Now because the target ship may now be out of sync - the stated bearings from the tutorial will no longer apply. This does not matter - just continue taking the bearings until you have enough information to plot the target course.
Then plan your attack etc

Old 11-19-15, 05:42 AM   #14
Johndb
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post
The tutorial and mission are setup so that the target is very far away.
As I do not know how long the player will take to get through all the map work practice, I have to sync the game so that the ship is in the correct location. This is why time must be advanced to 3.10.

So this is why if you run the mission only - you cant hear the ship (to far away), so 3.10am is when you must take the first bearing.

The CO2 issue is odd. 4 hours submerged should not be an issue for CO2.
I would just ignore it and continue the tutorial.

If you want to practice the 4 bearings method without the tutorial running - you must (as you are doing) advance TC and keep checking sonar. As soon as you hear the ship - take your first bearing.
Now because the target ship may now be out of sync - the stated bearings from the tutorial will no longer apply. This does not matter - just continue taking the bearings until you have enough information to plot the target course.
Then plan your attack etc

Thank You very much for the help.
Thanks to all that responded. Much appreciated

John
Old 01-17-20, 04:07 AM   #15
NicoBdM
Swabbie

Downloads: 39

Hi guys,

Give it a try to SH5 with WOS and I must say the tutorials from travelly are great Love it.

So, I start the four bearings tutorial, everything is fine and informative until the first TC. As I read in the previous posts and saw in the missions files, first TC must stop at 3.10 but mine stops at 17.00 naut in game (the mission starts at 13.00 naut in game). My sonar guy picked the target at 16.32... As asked in a previous post, TC 512 is ok (not limited to 256).
If someone could help me...
Once again, great work on these tutorials

EDIT ; btw, I have the CO2 alarm (10%) too
NicoBdM is offline   Reply With Quote