SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-11, 06:56 AM   #46
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

What do you need? Destroyers, merchies, mtb subs aircraft etc? You say 1500 verts? So about 400 tris?? Also what texture resolution you want? Most likely I can help you in about 4 weeks time.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 08:54 AM   #47
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Thank you! 3500 vertices is working fine. I can create a list of the most important missing ships for you.
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 03:26 AM   #48
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Oops I just realised than in 4 weeks i am going away for 2 weeks,- so I can only help you after 6 .
When are you planning to release? was it around Sept /Oct?
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 02:05 PM   #49
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

I plan to release it when it is finished
Old 07-12-11, 06:28 AM   #50
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-i-c- View Post
I plan to release it when it is finished
You'll never get a job at Ubisoft with an attitude like that!
Old 07-21-11, 12:20 PM   #51
kapitan_zur_see
Commodore

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
You'll never get a job at Ubisoft with an attitude like that!

Anyway, best of luck with your project! you can count me in as a future buyer for sure!! I so wished there was a decent subsim in my pocket and it really looks like a sim!

Most excellent enterprise and you seems very dedicated

kapitan_zur_see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 02:30 AM   #52
Newinger
A-ganger

Downloads: 246

Great! I am sooo hoping that you'll finish this game. It would be so great to have a sub simulation (!) on my iPad, with realistic distances, speeds, depths, loading times, torpedo calculations, duds etc.

Can you include a screenshot function? On my iPad, the button in the upper right corner is broken since my iPad fell down on the hard floor, thus the screenshot function of the iPad (that button pressed together with the round button at the bottom) does not work anymore.

How many boat types do you plan to include?

And please take all the time you need, even if this needs 2 more years, I'll wait if you release a polished bug free product.
Newinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 12:04 PM   #53
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newinger View Post
It would be so great to have a sub simulation (!) on my iPad, with realistic distances, speeds, depths, loading times, torpedo calculations, duds etc.
yes all this... I only have a problem with realistic turning diameters. So far I only have the data for Type VII. If someone knows any source about the turning diameter of any WWII vessel then please post it here.

It will also come with "realistic" shorelines (200m resolution) including realistic elevation - took about a month to process this stuff to a usable data set.

Quote:
Can you include a screenshot function? On my iPad, the button in the upper right corner is broken since my iPad fell down on the hard floor, thus the screenshot function of the iPad (that button pressed together with the round button at the bottom) does not work anymore.
Ouch - that's why I prefer ugly large but safe cases for my devices - better get one like this (was only 25,- EUR), even the edges are protected:

This button is also the Power Button Can you still turn it on once it's off?

Something like: touch the screen with 5 fingers and a screenshot is made? (otherwise you would always have another GUI button on the screen) I guess I can add it.

Quote:
How many boat types do you plan to include?
My plan is to include the II, VII, IX, XXI, XXIII as playable boats
But some of them later as a cheap in app purchase.

as AI boats: XIV (Milchkuh), some italian, british and soviet boats

Quote:
And please take all the time you need, even if this needs 2 more years, I'll wait if you release a polished bug free product.
That's why I possibly start with the VII only because the work on the interiors takes some time.

I'm currently busy with updating my other apps but I will soon™ return to the development of WOTA and post a new movie.
Old 08-10-11, 01:51 AM   #54
Newinger
A-ganger

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-i-c- View Post
Ouch - that's why I prefer ugly large but safe cases for my devices - better get one like this (was only 25,- EUR), even the edges are protected .. This button is also the Power Button Can you still turn it on once it's off?
It IS in a protection case, similar to the one on your photo, but obviously this case did was not good enough. When the iPad is only in standby, I use the round centered bottom button. If it's REALLY off, I can switch it on when using the AC adapter for charging.

Quote:
Something like: touch the screen with 5 fingers and a screenshot is made? (otherwise you would always have another GUI button on the screen) I guess I can add it.
For example, yes

Looking forward to read news soon
Newinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 08:28 PM   #55
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

I've just sent out a new newsletter, so I thought easiest way is to post it here too...

It's time for WOTA News again. Usually I'll post most news regarding the development of WOTA on the facebook page, so this mail is to keep those up to date who don't use facebook but I also added a new movie not shown on facebook yet.

First of all the game world itself was increased. The game will cover the entire planet now. When I processed the necessary geo data I've decided that it's better to do it now instead of adding the pacific later.
The game world has exactly the same resolution that Silent Hunter III uses, I guess they have used the same geo data to calculate their shorelines. The resolution of the terrain is 200x200 meters, this does not sound much, but this also means there are 1.05 billion (!) data cells for the coastline! The terrain itself uses SRTM Data for the elevation, this data was collected by a Space Shuttle Mission in February 2000. Correct citiy and vegetation data are also included in the WOTA geo data set. It took over a month to process all this data from different sources to a new format that WOTA uses. More than 100GB of data had to be processed.

Visualization of the coastlines (Web Mercator Projection):

Final resolution (200x200 meters, picture shows the bay of Kiel):

Visualized sample of the Geo Data showing urban areas around the north sea, looks a lot like satellite pictures of city lights.
(of course only those data close to the coast and rivers is used in the game:

Next huge change is OpenGL ES 2.0! I feared performance would suffer, but I wrote a shader for the water that is still fast and looks much better now, it even the sun affects the water, this was just not possible to do with OpenGL ES 1.x. So WOTA uses Pixel Shaders now which means Ships and other objects will look much smoother and lights will be more realistic.

This is a picture of the new water taken with the iPhone camera from the iPad's screen:

As I've wrote before the minimum requirement for WOTA will be a iPhone 3GS / iPod Touch 3, so it's also time to upgrade the interior of the U-Boat, which was made for older devices, the newer iOS devices can handle more polygons.
I've made a quick test of the lights & shadows for the command room, textures I've used are mostly just a test and will be replaced. The performance on the iPad 1 is just awesome smooth.

Movie of the lights & shadows (as you can see some of the gauges are already round some others still needs to be upgraded):

You will also see small vessels in the game like motor torpedo boats, so another movie which might be interesting is this one, it shows the modified buoyancy & collision system tested on (unfinished and untextured) italian MAS Boats running at full speed.
The water shader you see in the video is outdated, it was the very first OGLES2.0 test.

Still a lot of work to be done till WOTA will be finished, but I am a single developer and all this stuff needs time.
Old 09-11-11, 09:08 PM   #56
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Impressive work!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 06:52 PM   #57
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

U sure this is an iPhone game?!?!?!

That looks way too good to be an iPhone game.
Old 11-12-11, 05:00 AM   #58
Scape
Gunner

Downloads: 57

Will this include Siri support ie. voice commands?
Scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 09:46 PM   #59
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

When will this release?

I'm so excited for this. Silent Hunter mobile isn't that great.
Old 11-28-11, 11:52 PM   #60
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I'm so excited for this. Silent Hunter mobile isn't that great.
To be honest I can't imagine anyone of those who worked on one of the real Silent Hunter titles likes "Silent Hunter" mobile. I would not say that it is a bad game (lots of people like arcade shooters for a good reason) but it just does not deserve the name.