Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-21, 01:30 PM   #1
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default "We need to have a conversation about NPR"

I hope I got the right condescending "my way or the highway" vibe correct in the thread title. I should have found a way to add the word "problematic," too.

I think we can all agree I'm "left-of-center," though I would actually argue I'm more a la carte in my political and social views than anything, but even I find NPR very obviously liberal, and "problematic" (there I go!!). The only people I know who argue NPR is neutral are people I know for a fact to be liberal, sometimes flamingly so.

Here are some of my general impressions of NPR:

Coverage of "racial justice" 24/7. I'm not sure I really have to provide specific examples of this. You turn on your local NPR station, and you'll constantly hear about this. One thing you won't hear about, though: that poor white Appalachian kid who worked really, really hard and got rejected from every single Ivy or Ivy level college/university he applied to even though he may have been his high school valedictorian (and even if he was accepted, he didn't get a full ride on the basis of skin color).

Condescension - I remember listening to one segment where a correspondent goes into a house somewhere in Detroit to talk to the owner about her problems with her mortgage. She has some kind of gathering going on when he does this, and he says: "It's a party in here." Could you imagine him acting identically if it were an alumni meeting of an institution of which he was an alumnus? Another example I remember is when either PowerBall or MegaMillions had a huge jackpot, there was a story about it and the hosts wanted to make damn sure you knew THEY didn't play PB/MM.

Oh, I'm sure I could find more examples, but I think that's enough to get the ball rolling.
Old 01-23-21, 02:41 PM   #2
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

If you don't like NPR, no one is forcing you to use that service.

Lots of other media choices out there.
Old 01-23-21, 02:53 PM   #3
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I haven't supported or listened to them since they railroaded Garrison Keeler.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 04:17 PM   #4
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I sometimes still try to listen to their news and business broadcasts up until the point where it gets so lopsided my stereo looks like it might tip over. But I attribute much of that because most NPR big donations are from guilty rich white people.

But I still enjoy the variety of music, comedies and those old time radio shows.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 04:25 PM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

A question from one outside USA, what is NPR, I can understand from reading the comments that it is a radiostation but what kind of station is it.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 04:29 PM   #6
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

National Public Radio.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 04:44 PM   #7
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
A question from one outside USA, what is NPR, I can understand from reading the comments that it is a radiostation but what kind of station is it.

Markus

Its a publicly funded, non-profit radio broadcast organization that came about by an Act of Congress. I think for the most part it has some pretty good programs. Its biggest claim to fame however is when at one time or another it gets accused by liberals and conservatives of biased reporting.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 09:07 PM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee View Post
I hope I got the right condescending "my way or the highway" vibe correct in the thread title. I should have found a way to add the word "problematic," too.

I think we can all agree I'm "left-of-center," though I would actually argue I'm more a la carte in my political and social views than anything, but even I find NPR very obviously liberal, and "problematic" (there I go!!). The only people I know who argue NPR is neutral are people I know for a fact to be liberal, sometimes flamingly so.

Here are some of my general impressions of NPR:

Coverage of "racial justice" 24/7. I'm not sure I really have to provide specific examples of this. You turn on your local NPR station, and you'll constantly hear about this. One thing you won't hear about, though: that poor white Appalachian kid who worked really, really hard and got rejected from every single Ivy or Ivy level college/university he applied to even though he may have been his high school valedictorian (and even if he was accepted, he didn't get a full ride on the basis of skin color).

Condescension - I remember listening to one segment where a correspondent goes into a house somewhere in Detroit to talk to the owner about her problems with her mortgage. She has some kind of gathering going on when he does this, and he says: "It's a party in here." Could you imagine him acting identically if it were an alumni meeting of an institution of which he was an alumnus? Another example I remember is when either PowerBall or MegaMillions had a huge jackpot, there was a story about it and the hosts wanted to make damn sure you knew THEY didn't play PB/MM.

Oh, I'm sure I could find more examples, but I think that's enough to get the ball rolling.
Thank you, sir. I share your observation. I have listened to NPR for years but they have gone down the toilet. They patronize the hell out of the left now, it's sickening. I can tune in and in the first 20 seconds, I can tell you exactly what their take on a story is. Those people are screwed up in the head.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-21, 11:27 AM   #9
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

The biggest problem with NPR is it is funded in part by the taxpayers of the U.S. Every time one party in congress tries to cut the funding of NPR, the other party screams that they are trying to cut the funds of a national treasure. So like it or not, you're paying for it.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-21, 11:33 AM   #10
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Markus

Sorry that you don't have access to Wikipedia in your country.
Old 01-24-21, 11:42 AM   #11
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Sorry that you don't have access to Wikipedia in your country.
I have fully access to wiki. But sometimes I like to read it from an ordinary person living in the country where it is.
Sometimes it gives me more than just read info on wiki.

NPR has also their own homepage.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-21, 03:29 PM   #12
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
The biggest problem with NPR is it is funded in part by the taxpayers of the U.S. Every time one party in congress tries to cut the funding of NPR, the other party screams that they are trying to cut the funds of a national treasure. So like it or not, you're paying for it.

I don't necessarily have a problem with taxpayer funded radio. I don't have a problem with radio with a particular political bent.

I think many of us have a problem with our taxes paying for radio with a strongly liberal bent when they refuse to acknowledge that they have a strongly liberal bent.

But - it is to be expected since many many US media organizations that have a strong liberal bias aren't able to recognize that they do.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-21, 04:07 PM   #13
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

People were talking about NPR's public funding. From what I've seen, it would seem it's about 11 percent a year or so from the federal government. Up until 1983, it was mostly federally funded, but Reagan cut off most of its funding.

Reagan failed to kill it
Old 01-24-21, 04:19 PM   #14
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

"NPR has been accused of displaying both liberal bias, as alleged in work such as a UCLA and University of Missouri study of Morning Edition, and conservative bias, including criticism of alleged reliance on conservative think-tanks."

From the wiki site. I guess if both sides are claiming biases, it not too bad.
Old 01-24-21, 05:10 PM   #15
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
I don't necessarily have a problem with taxpayer funded radio. I don't have a problem with radio with a particular political bent.

I think many of us have a problem with our taxes paying for radio with a strongly liberal bent when they refuse to acknowledge that they have a strongly liberal bent.

Thank you. I admire how effortlessly you cut through the BS.

Every time they have a fundraiser and they try to win me over by saying "unbiased news you can trust" I throw up.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote