SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-21, 02:25 PM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

And on the avocados, those of you wanting to try but never have handled them: when they are soft and creamy, cut them with a knife to the centre pits/nut/core, and then once 360° around it. Then turn the two halves of the avocado like you would with a peach. Use a sharp-edged teaspoon to scrape the creamy fruit meat out and off the hard skin. Smash it with a fork or better a blender.
A bit like making herb butter.
Old 03-16-21, 02:28 PM   #17
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Just don't eat them when your angry!
Old 03-16-21, 02:36 PM   #18
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

BTW, I may as well post this here:

https://www.miltoncreamery.com/colle...33615122825261

"4 Alarm Cheddar is our own unique blend of four different peppers: chipotle, chili, jalapeno and ghost."

Yet, it isn't YouTube-bucket-challenge-freak-show-gross-out hot. If you're into Heat, its a really nice blend of peppers. If you aren't into Heat, its still a really nice blend, just slice it really thin.

This stuff also yells out for other foods. Added to homemade burritos or shredded over a bowl of hot chili, one neighbor had outstanding results adding it to baked mushroom caps.

Just understand that shipping is pretty high (unless you can buy it at your local grocery ). Still, take the chance if you ever wind up with some kind of government windfall money.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 03:00 PM   #19
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
It's "Koreander", in German. Must have made a typo again when I was looking for it. [...].
In german Koriander is Koriander seeds, while "Cilantro" are the green leaves of Koriander.
Do you all use fresh greens, or can one also use dried cilantro etc. ?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 04:37 PM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

I use dried one, like you get in big plastic bags in Asia food shops.

Else, I prefer, since you live in Germany, the "Gefriergetrocknet" green herbs by Ostmann, that are the ones with blueish labels and silver caps. They make a big difference, a very big difference to dried herbs of other brands or series. They are much more tasty and fresh. Basil, Majoran, Oregano, Dill, Thyme, Rosmary, Wild Garlic I use a lot, and to have them in this format is an excellent compromise of good taste (not this typical washed-out, sometimes "foul", strange taste that dried herbs usually have) and always being supplied with them at home. You know that, you want to prepare something, and the fresh green is not available currently or you do not want to leave the house.

Also, this way its less work.

The glasses look like this:

If dried herbs - than these and no others. In fact I do not care for gettign fresh herbs anymore, the difference is so minor and the work is so much more...
Old 03-16-21, 05:52 PM   #21
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Its kind of like punky lettuce. Like lettuce you found at the back of the cupboard, a couple of weeks after someone hid it there. Its also totally overblown in North America where its served in all Latino dishes, pancakes, tea, sports drinks, chewing gum, puddings, etc. Imagine dandelion leaves that taste disgusting.
I'm guessing you're genetically-predisposed to cilantro tasting bad. Someone else predisposed described it as tasting like soap or armpits.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-21, 06:00 PM   #22
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
In german Koriander is Koriander seeds, while "Cilantro" are the green leaves of Koriander.
Do you all use fresh greens, or can one also use dried cilantro etc. ?
Fresh. There is no substitute.

That having been said, if you also can't get fresh jalapeños, anaheims, or serranos, just don't bother trying to make guac. No chillies, no asian or indian peppers will do.

I've been to Mexican restaurants the world over, and they all screw it up the moment they substitute with local items.
Old 03-16-21, 06:03 PM   #23
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
I'm guessing you're genetically-predisposed to cilantro tasting bad. Someone else predisposed described it as tasting like soap or armpits.

Not like soap, more like corpse armpits. Or maybe like finding some black licorice in your Aunt's handbag that's been there since the Carter administration.
Old 03-16-21, 06:07 PM   #24
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Fresh. There is no substitute.

That having been said, if you also can't get fresh jalapeños, anaheims, or serranos, just don't bother trying to make guac. No chillies, no asian or indian peppers will do.

I've been to Mexican restaurants the world over, and they all screw it up the moment they substitute with local items.

Et2sn's first rule of travel: Never, ever, EVER order a pizza in Japan. Yeah, it looks right. But it ain't.
That thing next to the mushroom that looks like a tentacle? Yep.
Old 03-16-21, 06:50 PM   #25
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Not sure what is worse.
Anchovies or Octopus/Squid.
Old 03-17-21, 07:12 AM   #26
Skybird
Soaring

Beware the kernel of avocados. Many say they are also eatable and oh so healthy. Hehe, think twice:

Today I red that the kernel of an avocado in fact is so poisonous that in Mexico they grate and pulverize it, mix it with cheese and fat and put it out on the street - as mouse and rat poison. Bon Appetit.

Mother nature hasn't made this kernel big and glibbery and fully loaded with an arsenal of chemcial weapons for no reason. The fruit is that attracts eating animals, but the kernel is what is the future life of the plant: its not meant to be eaten, but to get dispersed while staying intact.

Do not eat the kernels, grated or in any other way.
Old 03-17-21, 09:06 AM   #27
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Et2sn's first rule of travel: Never, ever, EVER order a pizza in Japan. Yeah, it looks right. But it ain't.
That thing next to the mushroom that looks like a tentacle? Yep.
Tentacles I can deal with.

Squid ink pizza sauce? No thanks.

Corn? Whole chicken? Pass.

Mayo on pizza? Huurrrlllll... ��

I was at T.Y. Harbor during a business trip - it's right around the corner from Shinagawa Station (and within staggering distance of the hotel).

Beautiful-sounding Kobe burger. Ruined!! by them slathering Kewpie mayo all over the bun. My teammates enjoyed busting my balls over the fact that I ended up discarding everything but the meat and cheese, scraping off the mayo, and eating with knife and fork.

Ever since, I only get the fried chicken there. Beautiful fried chicken, but the half portion is a whole chicken, so I end up splitting a meal with someone else.
Old 03-17-21, 12:44 PM   #28
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Beware the kernel of avocados. Many say they are also eatable and oh so healthy. Hehe, think twice:

Today I red that the kernel of an avocado in fact is so poisonous that in Mexico they grate and pulverize it, mix it with cheese and fat and put it out on the street - as mouse and rat poison. Bon Appetit.

Mother nature hasn't made this kernel big and glibbery and fully loaded with an arsenal of chemcial weapons for no reason. The fruit is that attracts eating animals, but the kernel is what is the future life of the plant: its not meant to be eaten, but to get dispersed while staying intact.

Do not eat the kernels, grated or in any other way.
Yep.
A study in mice found that avocado seed extract showed no toxicity when ingested in concentrations up to 227 mg per pound (500 mg per kg) of body weight per day. Mice who ingested this or a higher level of avocado seed extract died within 24 hours

So how much does a mouse weigh and what's the lethal dose for a mouse?
Old 03-17-21, 04:19 PM   #29
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Tentacles I can deal with.

Squid ink pizza sauce? No thanks.

Corn? Whole chicken? Pass.

Mayo on pizza? Huurrrlllll... ��

I was at T.Y. Harbor during a business trip - it's right around the corner from Shinagawa Station (and within staggering distance of the hotel).

Beautiful-sounding Kobe burger. Ruined!! by them slathering Kewpie mayo all over the bun. My teammates enjoyed busting my balls over the fact that I ended up discarding everything but the meat and cheese, scraping off the mayo, and eating with knife and fork.

Ever since, I only get the fried chicken there. Beautiful fried chicken, but the half portion is a whole chicken, so I end up splitting a meal with someone else.
The problem with Japanese pizza was/is the sauce. It was important that it was red, after that anything goes.

It could be ketchup, it could be banana ketchup, it could be cherry jam, it could be all three- but it wasn't marinara or anything remotely close.
Old 03-18-21, 06:44 AM   #30
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

A bit OT ..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote